What's an 08 Viper with 48,000 miles worth?

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think you were driving a Viper, just as the SRT guys intended. You had a blast with it, enjoyed its multiple personalities, and certaintly got your moneys' worth.

Think the idea is to get as much fun per dollar spent with a Viper, not to park it and keep it nice for the next owner to enjoy.

Yep! I looked at 06 cars back in 2007/2008 and saw cars with less than 2-3,000 miles selling close to $30k off sticker price, back in 2007. I figured if I got one, I would drive and get my money's worth. Once the car is sold, I will do a big write-up on my experience with the car for the past 4 years, with photos and videos. Hopefully inspire people to drive these cars, and show how reliable these cars are after all. I've talked at least 3 people into buying Viper's, by proving how impressive they are. I've got a Lexus GS430, bro has a BMW M3 that I've put 20,000+ miles on, and experience with lots of luxury cars/exotics (Benz/Jag/Lambo/Audi, etc.). This car has held it's own for sure!

Your detailing skills will raise its value, and I think someone outside the Viper circles would pay more than you think for the condition and the color. If you sell it in the Viper circles or trade, I agree the value would be lower, but I know you wouldn't do that. What are you thinking about picking up if you sell?

Eric, really disappointed I can't see the Gen V early enough to decide if I want one. Been looking at the Audi R8's/Gallardo's, as one of my best friends has a 05 Lambo Gallardo that he TT'd and made over 1000rwhp on, with the stock motor. Seems like it would be fun, but I'd much rather get into a new Viper, and enjoy it just like I have with this car. You know the circles we run in, it's hard to stay stock, but with cars breaking left and right, I've never been so happy to have a stock and reliable Viper.

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was offered this car by this dealer for 49,995. I got approved but I chickened out last minute to mileage. PS .... i am looking for a 08 plus coupe since march when i sold my 03 convertable

SO are you waiting for someone to just give you one? Seriously the car has 27k miles and you think its worn out????

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who got more for their money? OP who has taken a depreciation hit or say someone with a primo '08 with 2,000 miles?

By my calculations the OP paid about $1.50 per mile driven when you consider insurance, property tax, depreciation, fuel, tire, oil.

That Primo Viper owner? Probably paid $18 a mile driven.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who got more for their money? OP who has taken a depreciation hit or say someone with a primo '08 with 2,000 miles?

By my calculations the OP paid about $1.50 per mile driven when you consider insurance, property tax, depreciation, fuel, tire, oil.

That Primo Viper owner? Probably paid $18 a mile driven.

What I got for my money can't be put into any type of $$ value. The car always put a smile on my face, met LOTS of good people (some of who I hang out with several times a week), and memories that will last a life time. Plus I had a bad-ass DD for the past 4 years, for about $50,000 :D

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with every post on this page. Well except for the guy that didn't buy the 08 for 50K. Jeez man, if your looking for a 08+ your crazy not to buy. Just go get a brand new one if your concerned about miles. 50K thats nuts!

I know there are opinions all over the board but I'll take that 08 with 27K for $50K all day before I buy the same year with 2K for $65K. 15K can go a long way in mods, or saved for a repair bill. Especially for a car I bought to drive.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im with you man. Bought my 03 in 07 for 51k with 27k miles on the odo. Because of the milage and because I had it shipped to me in Hawaii from California it was easily 5k cheaper than the other 10k-20k mile 03s in various states.

Funny thing was all my corvette bmw and mercedes friends thought 27k was a brand new car. There 03 vehicles in 07 had 40k plus miles.

Now almost 5 years later my 03 has 38k miles and people still relate that to being a fairly new car.

Id jump all over a 27k mile 08 for 50k. Its just barely broken in. And yes Id spend 50k on the OPs viper with 48k miles.

I saw a video of his car run door to door with a supercharged z06. His car is stock and the z06 was 570 rwhp. To me that holds a lotta weight in knowing Id be getting a strong running viper

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

I don't think you'll get a decent market inquiry here. From my own experience, Viper owners tend to be the cheapest and most scrutinizing bunch when it comes to buying used vehicles. You'll likely get a better selling price by advertising it outside of the Viper circles. I'd suggest the values here would lean towards the lower end of the spectrum.

Advertise it for $55K, sell it for the first serious offer over $45K. The blue/white color combo will definitely help sell the car, it is the most popular/desired combo for the Viper.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a video of his car run door to door with a supercharged z06. His car is stock and the z06 was 570 rwhp. To me that holds a lotta weight in knowing Id be getting a strong running viper

620whp Procharged ZO6. He sold it the next week and is having Twin Turbo's put on his Lambo now. I'm screwed, lol.

Jason,

I don't think you'll get a decent market inquiry here. From my own experience, Viper owners tend to be the cheapest and most scrutinizing bunch when it comes to buying used vehicles. You'll likely get a better selling price by advertising it outside of the Viper circles. I'd suggest the values here would lean towards the lower end of the spectrum.

Advertise it for $55K, sell it for the first serious offer over $45K. The blue/white color combo will definitely help sell the car, it is the most popular/desired combo for the Viper.

I need to take some time to clean it up and get some photos. Hopefully I have time over holiday break (after I get the fender repainted). I agree, the blue/white is going to be hard to beat, especially since there is only 1 other car that I know that has the factory style white stripes (Smog Dog's). Everything else I've seen goes through the LP, stops early, uses vinyl, or doesn't have rear lower painted black.

mousetom78

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SO are you waiting for someone to just give you one? Seriously the car has 27k miles and you think its worn out????

I want something low mileage under 15k. I sold my 03 with less mileage than that. It had 21k when I sold it back in March. I think I don't just like the color.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In moustoms defense we get a lot of previous tupperware owners here who keep their cars in bottles. Low milage is anything under 30k to mebuyhey these vipers are 300k mercy lambo equivalent I guess so canthave miles on em. Yep defiently cant drive a sub 100k car with an engine suspension in enterior built purposely justfor running hard.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In moustoms defense we get a lot of previous tupperware owners here who keep their cars in bottles. Low milage is anything under 30k to mebuyhey these vipers are 300k mercy lambo equivalent I guess so canthave miles on em. Yep defiently cant drive a sub 100k car with an engine suspension in enterior built purposely justfor running hard.

Oh my.

Good luck on your potential sale Malu. I agree with nineball.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nineball was talking about guys like you tucker. Kinda funny you agree with him. Your the main one always giving off lowball prices.

My buddy got 50k 6 months ago for a 35k mile 04. Plenty of people spending over 60k for 08s. But youd be the one saying 45k for his 08

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you could have a car with 10k on it and it can be a piece of junk if someone was a ***** and goofed the car up, or have one with 100k on it and in perfect unharmed condition

flotter390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nineball was talking about guys like you tucker. Kinda funny you agree with him. Your the main one always giving off lowball prices.

My buddy got 50k 6 months ago for a 35k mile 04. Plenty of people spending over 60k for 08s. But youd be the one saying 45k for his 08

I bought my 08 vertte the 1st of September (stock) with 4k miles for $64k. Worth every penny and more!!!

Already have put on 3k miles.

I also have a 1992 rt/10 with 44k miles. - That I gave to my son.

Last edited:

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was spot on with the price given and received. Have someone read that thread to you.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me thats a realistic price point.

Nineball hit it on the head. Viper owners kill their own vehecle pricing.

I think this goes back to the gen1 and gen2 days. The gen1 and gen2 were simply the T Rexs of their eras. Simply the biggest and the baddest. Nothing could beat the gen1 till the gen2 came out. But hey it was the same car with hood louvers and 50 more horses and updated suspension and interior. Some are gknna chime in and say just how differant the gen1 and gen2 are but really as far as the viper community and public are concerned the gen2 is just an upgraded gen 1. So viper owners accepted the gen2 being better than the gen1.

This viper superiority complex lasted from 92-02. Ten years of thinking their viper was the be all end all of the automotive world.

Then came the srt10. A totally redesighned better in everyway snake. But unlike the gen1 to gen2 were it was essentially the same car this was somthing completely differant that could whoop on a rt or gts of any year. Instead of viper owners being happy. 75 percent insulted the new viper saying it wasnt worthy ect. The reality was after being on top for so long that any car. Even a differant looking car of the same name that was better was the enemy.

Interestingly half of the naysayers have now owned a gen3 srt.

Now as the gen5 aproaches many have written off the 3 and 4 saying they will be worthless upon the 5s arrival.

I swear we viper owners are idiots. I frequent the gtr boards. Ive been thinking about picking up a gtr for my wife and have found some clean examples in the high 50s. But ask any random person what a 09 gtr is worth on the gtr forum. They will tell you under 70k is a good deal. Single handidly helping their gtr retain value.

Ask a random viper owner on this board what a 08 viper is worth and youll hear 46-56k. Even though they routinely sell in the 60s we have a desease carried over from the gen2 to gen3 merge that causes us to belittle our own car.

Never has there been so much rivalry between owners of the same vehicle. It is indeed lonely at the top.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wernt spot on anything tucker. Like I said you are one of the main ones belittling our cars value. You can see nine 08 vipers sell for 57-65k
And then see one sell for 53k. You will then post up and say you can get clean title 08s with low miles for low 50s all day.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad to see many of you not bothered with miles like I am. I bought my 03 in 05 with 5k miles and now it is rotting in the garage with 20k miles on the clock. I need to charge the battery and go for a drive as it seems like mileage wont hurt me down the line when I sell/trade it in.
Good luck with the sale.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask the guy who was (is?) selling this one, 25K mile 08 coupe. Ad was here for sometime, also on ebay, it would be a real comp to base on.

http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=5296&title=viper-red-coupe&cat=51

I agree with redtanrt10. Ask someone in a similar situation like Milkman. If his car sat for several months being listed at $52K with half the miles your car has, it would seem to indicate your car would be worth somewhere south of $52K if you want to sell it in less than who knows how many months. Anything can happen if you are patient and can find the right buyer though.

People in this thread can speculate all they want, and blow sunshine up your ***, but if someone isn't willing to back up their talk with cash it is meaningless.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was spot on with the price given and received. Have someone read that thread to you.

I spit pop out of my mouth when I read this in a email.

But yeah tucker is spot on. Was spot on with Fill* Ups car as well.

You must compare apples to apples here. Yes there are plenty selling for 60K+. But how many of those had 50K miles, were blue, had a nick, has worn tires etc, etc, etc? A lot depends on how fast your looking to get off the vehicle. Like the guy said; the car doesn't owe him anything he's got his use, and is looking for another one.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timnineside:3021378 said:
A lot depends on how fast your looking to get off the vehicle.

Bingo.

You can get top dollar if you're willing to wait for the perfect buyer. In all reality fill ups car should have sold for a lot more, but he was in a hurry to sell so you need to price it accordingly. Depends how much you value your time I guess.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must agree with Twister. If you list that car on ebay for $1 no reserve right now even in the winter market the car will go for alot more than $40k IMO. Id guess with a nice ad and nice pics $48-$51k

Am wondering if it makes sense to wait until after the holidays? Right now everyone is focused on Jolly St. Nick. :santa:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am wondering if it makes sense to wait until after the holidays? Right now everyone is focused on Jolly St. Nick. :santa:

By all means I would hold out till spring if I was listing it for sale(ebay) but I was just stating this particular car would be way above $40k even if he listed it on ebay right now during the crappy winter market. Hell Id give $40k for it right now then make a quick $5-8k in about 4 months.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only way a 08 is selling for 49k or less is with 75k miles or more.

Looking at ebay represents the low of the low. Their are still 35k plus mile 06 coupes selling for high 40s. As far as someone listing at 52k and not having a sale. Thats one persons experience.

18 months ago people here told me my 03 was only worth 34k ect. Two weeks after it was for sale I had a firm offer from a military officer of 39k. I thought long and hard but to me that was still to cheap for my viper and backed out of the deal.

My experience and the 08 owners who couldnt sell for 52k are just that. Individual experiences.

Someone who wants a blue with white stripes who is local to him may drop 55k for a car he can see verses flying cross country to see another blue and white for 60k. Reguardless 40s is what id expect from a dealer for his car. I can get 40 for my old 03.. You low ballers are killin viper resale.

How many 08 vipers are their in the world. Maybe 2k. This is such a rare vehicle and its pricing should reflect that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456