what's normal hours to take down viper engine and rebuilt to factory specs

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on who does it, and which year... If it were me doing the work, I'd estimate about a million hours to get it perfect :)

Gen 3 . And a million huh, I was thinking more like 750K..:) But really I was thinking more like 20hrs, am I way off

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering the average hours figured in a rebuild with no block work
Thanks

You may consider checking with Arrow Racing Engines as for years they have done all warranty work....go to their website for the number and speak to Todd. They tear down and rebuilt these every day.....they did my ported intakes and valve covers to ACRX configuration and the aformentioned person was very helpful.....

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
20 hours is WAY, WAY, WAY low. You can have 20 hours into properly disassembling, cleaning, and checking it, let alone putting it back together, and not including the ring file fitting which could take 5+ hours itself if you have those types of rings. And this is a perfect example of how vastly different mindsets people have. Could I do it in 20? Sure. But there is the RIGHT way, and then there is everything else. Was everything checked? Was everything cleaned? was everything actually taken apart- or not? Just because it can be done and it usually works, does NOT mean it was actually done RIGHT. I don't think I have ever come in anywhere close to average times on a rebuild- but then again, I have never had an engine actually fail either.

In my opinion, I would say a properly executed bone stock rebuild would be closer to 30 hours, assuming the engine is on the stand, and you have easy access to cleaning equipment. This would include taking it down the the last nut and bolt, and cleaning/checking everything. On a built engine, all bets are off, and you can easily eclipse 50-60 hours on a custom non-cookie-cutter type build.

Last edited:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give Chuck Tator a call (914) 763 3136, my snake is almost done being completly rebuilt to top bottom by Tators, in my opinion Chuck is THE BEST I woudnt use anyone else, as a mattetr of fact, my motor rebuild might be the responsibility of the dealership where I bought it and there was a possibility if I had it done anywhere OTHER then them, I would have to pay for it out of pocket and I STILL chose Tators, their THAT good!!!!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah those are great numbers for a stocker, how did they pull it off?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would like to know what they did to achieve those numbers. I'm thinking about going NA on mine.

Its a Gen-4, not a Gen-3, and those numbers are on a partially exhaust-less engine Dyno pull, likely without filters, and probably on an ACRX computer. We have done 741 on an N/A Gen-4 with full exhaust, with filters, and without even getting into headwork. Those numbers above are good, but not magical. When we crack 800 on a mild-build Gen-4... now that, will be magical ;)

Last edited:

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would like to know what they did to achieve those numbers. I'm thinking about going NA on mine.

Yeah those are great numbers for a stocker, how did they pull it off?

Same motor that was in there before just better built according to Arrow.....They told me Dodge does an incredible job with the engine but it's still not the same as Arrow as much time as they want to put it back together perfectly.....I believe they had it at their facility for 3-4 weeks....not sure what the total hours were....