What's the deal on new Mopar oil filters?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there was some posting a while back about a new design (GenIII design specific for the prior years). I believe there was a new part number, but maybe some issue with threads being specific between GenI/II and GenIII?

Anyway, I cannot find these threads using our search function. The search field only seems to accept one word regardless of what you type in. Know how many hits you get under "oil..."? Hell, more than half are in "Chicks with Vipers" :D

I stopped by my dealer fora filter and asked the guy to be sure to get the latest part number. He told me there had been no change in many years. I thought he was wrong, but he looked it up somewhere and told me I was wrong. He gave me Mopar 5281090BA. Is this right? I'm thinking maybe Mopar 5037836 is right, but I am not sure.

Please enlighten!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You owe me...I just went all the way into the garage, got the crate down with my Viper stuff to check on this for you. The new part # is 05037836AA. 05281090 is the old oil filter # that fits almost everything Dodge makes. The new filter is Viper specific and the design is derived from the Comp Coupe filter

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The recommended "new" oil filter for 1992 thru 2006 Vipers is MOPAR #5037836AA.

This is NOT the filter for a 2008 Viper !!!!

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got this from Dan Cragin a couple of months ago:

8854Picture_010.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will send that picture to my dealer, LOL! Very artistic, even the blue shimmering backdrop. Brings a tear to my eye...

I think they owe me an oil change!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong information regarding oil filter as to no changes. I suggest you call Chuck Tator at 914.763.3136 for the correct information and proper part number for your car.
I have always loved your George Carlin quote and its very true what he says about the left lane, especially here in Houston. Wished I had a bumper sticker with that quote. Also love his hatred for golfers, "watching golf on tv is like watching gnats get it on." (little harsher wording though).:lmao:

Last edited:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can we find the specs for the old and new filters to see what the differences are beside prices ($6.85 VS $11.20) ?

Luc.00GTS