What's the lifespan of a GenIV engine?

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All other things being, how long do they last?

Looking at a 2010 with 45K miles and just wondering how miles other people have put on their GenIV's?

Thanks,

John

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With proper care, Viper engines (Gen 1-4) will last into 6 figures. There are some owners here who have 6 figures on them.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mine's a gen 3, but I'm about to tick over 66k here in the next few days. Bought mine with 43k and have put on the extra 20k in the year and change I've owned it. Dyno'd at 480/530 hp/tq last year, so I'd say it's worn in pretty good :D. Granted my stuff is largely highway and I don't flog it every mile of the way, but it's not exactly babied either.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the exotic high performance cars, I believe the Viper has the best engine for lasting the miles.

Even when they do need maintenance it seems they are relatively inexpensive compared to Ferrari, Lambo etc.

Believe that Chrysler requires Viper engines to meet the same longevity standards as all their other engines.

In other words, feel pretty comfortable buying a higher mileage Viper than most any other high performance car.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a few miles for a 2010 but the key as to any engine and drive train is proper and frequent preventative maintenance. You should be good to go for many more miles with proper maintenance.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RPM is what kills engine life. Therefore, Viper engines should last forever. We don't have enough RPM :)

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are SRT-10 Rams with Gen III motors almost in the 200K range now.

These motors can take a serious beating, if you treat them well they will last a good long time.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen IV is about to turn 30K. I'm still on original clutch, even though I have tracked it many times.
I'm religious about 3K mile oil changes, and changed diff fluid twice.