what's up with this soft top cover?Can we drive it fast, or is it meant for cruising?

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As title sais, I used the cover for the convertible top yesterday and over 100mile an hour I didn't feel confident it stayed tuggd in really well..nothing actually happened, but I don't like the fact that it comes up about an inch...feels more confident without, the top stays nice and tight out of sight in the rear view mirror. Is there some kind of max speed to ride this cover?

Apart from that, can we max the car with the top down ánd up? Not that I will be doing so very often, but it would be a pitty if I find out the hard way when I do once...

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: what's up with this soft top cover?Can we drive it fast, or is it meant for cruis

Bingo! ;)

This is the exact reason I don't want a convertible ever again.
I had one once, and at anything over 100 felt sketchy.

Verts are superior for cruising the Vegas strip, highway by the beach, scenic mountain roads, and things like that.
........Unless you are totally ugly, then you need a coupe with tinted windows. :lmao:

Is the Viper ragtop suited to triple digit speeds? -over 150? :dunno:

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: what's up with this soft top cover?Can we drive it fast, or is it meant for cruis

He was not concerned with the car being a convertible (been over 150 in my 06 vert paxton numerous times). He was asking about the convertible top cover. I would be hesitant on anything over 100 also, as it tends to lift a little in the middle and why chance it getting torn up, and if I recall these are discontinued and getting harder to find. I rarely use mine anymore.

Bingo! ;)

This is the exact reason I don't want a convertible ever again.
I had one once, and at anything over 100 felt sketchy.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Do like I have done for the past 10 years of gen III vert ownership: Don't use the convertible cover because you don't need it!!!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I'll throw mine on if I plan to have the top down for a long time or for a parade or show or something like that because it finishes the car off better, but if I just want to drop the top to drive home from somewhere I usually don't mess with it. I doubt it's really going to go anywhere with the trunk holding it down and it pulled down tight when installed, but I agree that there seems to be a little more movement in the top with it on. My top used to move around a lot even without it, but I've since readjusted the little bumpers to keep a little tension on it which has helped out.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But is the top itself designed to go all the way to warp speed with it up on the car ánd down in the trunk? I guess so as I don't find it mentioned in the manual...

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was not allowed to race without something more over or around my head. I installed an autoform roll bar and the autoform hard top. Never looked back.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Maximum speed on the car is top up due to drag, so I would assume that's where the quoted 197 or whatever came from. However, I've rear on here in the past that over 200 one guy had some staples flying around and the top maybe not fairing so well. Top down should be fine at speed with the trunk holding it down, but I doubt that includes the cover and wouldn't necessarily trust it. The car is not exactly a typical "soft top" anyway as the front portion is really a solid panel with fabric on it. Only on the back do you have nothing but fabric between you and the elements. It's almost more like a covertible hard top that you see on some cars nowadays in that regard.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Been 160 plus top up and down lots of times with no prob over several years in the vert