What's wrong in this undercarriage picture?

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No Camfab i was not a welder their, but i am one by trade. Used to be. But i would have loved to had a chance to weld on that line but i left the factory for another welding/fabbing job. I worked in the factory but not on the viper line. But i knew the people that were working on it. And when you said a bunch of drunks, you were half right, lots of smoking going on and im not talking about ones with filters. Not that im for or against that type of thing, but do it on your own time and not when at work or when working on something someone is going to be driving. About the factory, it is still open but has lost the contract for viper. So when the NEW viper comes out, it will NOT be welded their. I hope thats a good thing.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that Jeebs, I do fabrication on the side and welding is my passion. Everytime I look at the welds on my car it just burns me up inside. I agree with your thoughts on peoples recreational activities, but when it comes to work, I too have no tolerance for slackers. You gotta give 100%. It's called pride.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the dirty brake fluid. And OEM plug wires. Things like that are a sign of neglect, ignorance, disregard, pick one or all.

That stainless exhaust being rusty is also a clue. If that is indeed rust on the chassis and not mud, that car has seen a lot of moisture. Or maybe salt too to explain the corrosion on the stainless.

Here's a pic of my '01 for another comparison. 10 years old, has been wet a few times, and zero rust.

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some time after 98 Dodge went with a more oval shaped brake fluid reservior. Not sure if it was 99 though.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is another picture of my 2001 rear frame area. As you can see, part of the control arm linkage to the frame is a 'tab' looking piece (on the outer side of the frame rail). I don't really know what to make of the OPs similar 'tab' on the inner side of his frame rail.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The round tabs in the OP's picture have to be the rear view of the front most rear control arm connection to the frame. Looking at them on LiG's car. The pics are just diferent angles and distances.

Here is another picture of my 2001 rear frame area. As you can see, part of the control arm linkage to the frame is a 'tab' looking piece (on the outer side of the frame rail). I don't really know what to make of the OPs similar 'tab' on the inner side of his frame rail.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks - I stand corrected; I didn't remember that from my old car so I couldn't go out and check as you're able to do.

Beautiful car and best color combo! I wish I'd never sold mine...

My bad... My 96 B/W does the same... Shoulda checked it first.

here's the picture of my 99 with original paint.Can't be seen in this picture but the blue goes across below the tips not over it.Got another picture where I can clearly see the blue but can't link here only URL's would show.
So the OP's picture looks legit to me.

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The round tabs in the OP's picture have to be the rear view of the front most rear control arm connection to the frame. Looking at them on LiG's car. The pics are just diferent angles and distances.

Agree. Guys, I think the "tab" is in the background and is the washer on the control arm. The picture *****, angles and depth perception off. If you look hard in the OP picture, there is a round similiar looking washer in the background on the driver's side. Can't identify the crud in the picture though. Went and looked at mine on the lift, if you look at a similar f__ed up angle, you can see the "tab" in that spot but its way behind it.

Silver with blue sripes... go look at it

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my '01 for another comparison. 10 years old, has been wet a few times, and zero rust.

Dave, I think you're slacking off.I see at least three rusty bolts in your picture,right in the center,ha!

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, went to the garage to look underneath the car. The tab welded on that small frame gusset looks identical to LifeIsGood's photo of the yellow Viper.It has that bend in it going up in a slight angle.I think the tab is the same on the OP's picture,albeit the picture is crappy, rust and all,so it can't be seen well to decide on it.The car needs to be inspected in person.The rust is most likely surface one and could clean up easily.The engine compartment looks pretty clean to me.I have only 20K miles on mine and the plastic brake reservoir looks more yellow than the OP's yet the fluid is clear.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are the old factory diff LOL. I've since replaced that POS with some 3.73's and an OSG Superlock from Parts Rack. Jon B plug.

Anyway, bolts are black on new one.

What ever happened with that OSG Superlock, were you not experiencing difficulties? Would you recommend that unit? I know it was supposed to be the better alternative to the other limited slip (I forget the name) at the time it came out.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever happened with that OSG Superlock, were you not experiencing difficulties? Would you recommend that unit? I know it was supposed to be the better alternative to the other limited slip (I forget the name) at the time it came out.

The only "difficulties" is the popping around corners. Other than that it does hook up well. Much easier to control wheel spin situations that's for sure.

The benefit to the OSG is minimal machining of the stub axles as compared to the Quaiffe. I think the breakdown from there may boil down to your application, like drag, street, drifting, autox and so on. I'm beginning to think that when I round the corner in the hood and I get a pop pop pop and it feels like a half shaft breaking is next, that the OSG is not made for corners. Drag or drifting or when tire abuse is not a concern and you're slipping them a little while turning.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That viper is definitely not a 'garage queen'.

I hope it's normal for the damper...mine looks the same...

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is corrosion, or whatever, I think I'd get in there with a wire brush and a grinder to clean it all out now, the best I could and spray with primer and paint... before it gets worse.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The harmonic dampers look exactly like that ;) Its brown surface rust, when I changed out my front cover timing gasket I took a wire brush to mine and a rattle can of black paint, it looks much better now :) Or if you wanted to you could change it out for a better one :). Being honest its so low down in the car you can hardly see it and is no big deal :)

That rusty horrid thing is the crankshaft damper :crazy2:

I did not like the asthetic look of the old crankshaft damper, so I rubber it down with Emery paper and sprayed it with Hammerite smooth gloss black paint.

You can see the damper in this pic (behind Dave's Big Brakes under drive pulley)
Note also the new water pump pulley and idler wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte