Wheel bearing/hub replacement

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used the search button and even posted on some other threads about this topic but I haven't received any sort of reply...

So far, I've gathered that cheap Chinese bearing/hubs mean that I'm going to be replacing them each year and that GEN 2,3, and 4 hubs are interchangeable. I've found a place that supplies U.S. made hubs for the Viper at about $250. My question is, how hard is it to replace the hub? I've read how to do it on other cars and it seems pretty simple. Just a few more steps more than replacing a rotor. BUT what throws me off is that I read that we need to torque a certain bolt down to 350 lb/ft? I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high... Anyone ever done this and care to shed some light?

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looking at it from when I just replaced my brakes....it doesn't look any harder, than replacing the brakes on the car. I am looking at doing my mine soon as well.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a front hub on my GTS recently and used the Mopar unit. The discount ones were incomplete on a hub that supposedly is not rebuildable. Meaning you'd have to take parts off the old hub for the new one. The Mopar unit was complete. I don't like to skimp on quality of the parts that go roundy round real fast on the road. Use your own judgement there.

Sounds like you are doing the rear as you mention the torque. Do not skip that step. Rent or buy the torque wrench.

OP
OP
L

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just looking at it from when I just replaced my brakes....it doesn't look any harder, than replacing the brakes on the car. I am looking at doing my mine soon as well.

Hmmm. If that's the case, I'll probably save myself the money and do it myself as well! Thanks for the reassurance.

I put a front hub on my GTS recently and used the Mopar unit. The discount ones were incomplete on a hub that supposedly is not rebuildable. Meaning you'd have to take parts off the old hub for the new one. The Mopar unit was complete. I don't like to skimp on quality of the parts that go roundy round real fast on the road. Use your own judgement there.

Sounds like you are doing the rear as you mention the torque. Do not skip that step. Rent or buy the torque wrench.

Do you know the exact lb/ft I should torque the hub bolts to? And for the front hubs, do I not torque down as much?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
350 lb-ft is the same as a 175# man standing on the end of a 24" long (2') breakover bar. Just don't jump up and down on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen