Wheel caliper clearance question >> HELP

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys:
Last year I somehow scratched my calipers. IDK how, probaby had the wrong spacers in place or maybe didn't even have the spacer on ... don't ask.

I did a '00 to rear / '03 front caliper brake upgrade and had to use spacers afterwards for wheel clearance.

Now, after getting my calipers redone, $1,000 later, I don't want this to happen again. I am doing a track event in two weeks.

Big question:

Just how much clearance is acceptable ??? I have about 1/8" - 5/32" in front and rear. Just how much can the stock wheels flex ?? Should I beef up the spacers or am I being unnecessarily paranoid ?

Thanks,
Andrew

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting... i was not aware that the BBD upgrade had clearance issues with 18" wheels. I thought it came with the correct spacers for this reason.

Still planning on using the Stock wheels for track? Is there any diff in clearance between those and the forgelines that you were running?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have 1/8 clearence that's a tad over 3mm. Minimum clearence should be no less than 2.5mm. When I got my DBB kit, had to add washers between the brackets and mounting to pull the calipers inwards to get the 2.5 mm clearence for my stock 5 spokes on the rear. Could have done putting thicker spacers for the rear instead ,but all four spacers came with the kit already.Front wheel clears a lot no problem, it's the rear wheels that the spokes are beefier and the offset makes a tight clearence for stock wheels. Aftermarket wheels would clear no problem with proper offsets without using spacers at all. Keep an eye on lug nut torque ,then there shouldn't be a clearence problem for the calipers even with hard cornering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vancouver - gts, thanks, just what I was looking for, and I figured it should be good. Yeah, my parts also came with the spacers, but like I said, I scratched the calipers last year, but I think I either had the wrong spacers or something in the wrong place, all is measered out and I have a solid 5/32 now all around, so I should be good.

Yeah, Dom, I am switchin it up this year. I have new BF Goodrich track G-Force mounted on my stock wheels. The forgelines I had, I got powdercoated and use for the street, went the black look, what a difference. looking forward to a great event at NJMS