Wheel center bore question

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked these up out of the classifieds but didn't notice the change to the center bore until I received them. (That's my fault for not paying closer attention.) The member I bought them from said he bought them that way from a guy that used them on the track and that is what he was going to use them for.

This is how they should be
You must be registered for see images

This is the "bored out" wheel
You must be registered for see images

My question's are:
-Is this common to hone out the center for track use?
-Necessary with aftermarket brake/hub upgrades?
-Any structural concerns?
I'm looking for caps to fill this in. The "outer" hole is 2.75" dia. Inner hub doesn't appear to be modified so it should fit snug on OE hub.

Thoughts???

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you found caps, what would hold them in place? The hole looks like it has no lip to grab for the cap retainer tabs or O-ring.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you found caps, what would hold them in place? The hole looks like it has no lip to grab for the cap retainer tabs or O-ring.

Probably some type of weatherstripping, silicone or double-sided tape or adhesive. Just something to hold them in from the back side.

colo08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark at ipsco.org can make you a set caps, give him a call as he makes caps for stock wheels already.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
^+1. That's some scary looking stuff....better make you a nice set of bar stools out of them.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the second picture, does anyone else have a problem with how much material is missing near the wheel stud holes? :omg: I would not want them!

I agree! Thee isn't much material left. I would expect some fracturing between the center hole and the bolt holes with anything but light use. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a small fracture starting on the bottom of the big hole in the second picture above the bottom lug nut hole? I wouldn't run on them.

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, there's not a fracture starting. The bore size is why I asked if anyone was familiar with doing this and why. Structural integrity was also a concern. The guy I got 'em from said he tracked them up to 155 mph. I won't be tracking them. Just gonna paint 'em black for a different look with some BFG KDW's (delivered today). Too much trouble mounting/dismounting back and forth with the V700's so I bought an inexpensive set. Like I said before, I shoulda paid closer attn to the pics in the ad.