wheel clear coat

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having a set of Gen2 18" rims refurbished. The place that is doing them is having trouble getting the clearcoat to be solid. The couple of times they have tried so far, you can easily scratch it with a finger nail. They are trying another type of clear coat, but said that they don't have trouble with other wheels and their standard clears. Anyone have experience in this area and suggestions on clear coat?

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only a few automotive clearcoats that are actually designed apply directly to aluminum without a bonding clear. PPG used to make one, probably still does but its been years since I worked for them. I believe the part number was DX80 or something like that, square can with a purple label. Sounds like your paint is net being properly catalyzed. Urethane paints need the appropriate catalyst to create the chemical reaction that makes them dry. Either your painter didn't use the right catalyst, not enough, or old stuff that won't work. Make sure they are using a urethane paint with a catalyst that is designed to be applied directly to aluminum.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris...just chrome them and be done with it...that is going to be my solution :)

See you on Friday?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leaving it off makes for a lot more work though. they should know what they're doing.......

Reaction score
You can find a good powdercoating company and have a very durable finish like the gen3 car wheels. The clear is the same as the factory and if you wanted could be tinted slightly for the smoked look or whatever you may want. Should run about $125 per wheel.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cool:

Leave off the clear coat, and have them polished. They look much more cleaner than chrome, and it is not that big of a deal to keep clean. If you have the EBC Green brake pads, all I do is use a small duster, and some Z-6 Zaino spray. Takes about 5 minutes total time. Then about 3-4 times a year, I use Mother's Mag Polish, and spend about 1 hour total for all 4 wheels. I get so many compliments on my wheels, it is worth it. No more of that milky look, or adding the extra weight of chroming.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel refinisher I have worked with says to leave the clear off. Even if you can get it on right, it sometimes cracks, blisters, and/or peels. He suggested using Wheel Wax and it works great. WheelWax.com

Zzapper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My clear coat is cracking and pealing too. What is the best way to remove all the clear coat off?

Phil

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel refinisher I have worked with says to leave the clear off. Even if you can get it on right, it sometimes cracks, blisters, and/or peels. He suggested using Wheel Wax and it works great. WheelWax.com

This past winter I dismounted all tires, stripped the rims with a commercial chemical stripper, wet sanded them progressively with finer grades of paper, then polished them and sealed with WheelWax. I also opted not to clear coat them. If I scratch or curb them now, I can fix them easily right on the car. IMO, they look excellent too... :D

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive: That is another great benefit of having your wheels polished without clear coating them. If you ever nick them or curb them, you can fix them , no problem. I did it once right after I had them polished. I thought i was going to kill my self, but it sanded and buffed right out.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from me, either Chrome the wheels or get new ones. Not one shop that I have worked with was able to fix the wheels perfect. You still see the sections where the clear was missing or messed up. I had my wheels done several times and went through about 8 or so before I just got a set chromed. They look much better and are a lot easier to keep clean.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive: That is another great benefit of having your wheels polished without clear coating them. If you ever nick them or curb them, you can fix them , no problem. I did it once right after I had them polished. I thought i was going to kill my self, but it sanded and buffed right out.

I still LOVE your wheels!!!!!

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks like the previous owner of my car used a polish that left a milky residue because of the clearcoat. What's the best thing to make them look better. Thanks

Mark

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been another week, and they still haven't gotten the clear coat right. They're trying one more time. If they don't get it right, I'm going to have them leave it off. It sounds like the clear is more of an art than a science at this point.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been another week, and they still haven't gotten the clear coat right. They're trying one more time. If they don't get it right, I'm going to have them leave it off. It sounds like the clear is more of an art than a science at this point.

Just make sure you know that you have to clean them regularly. Once you drive the car you must get the brake dust off or it will stick to the wheels and you will be using a lot of elbow grease to get it off.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno: I'll say it again, use Wheel Wax -- it's easy to apply and once on the brake dust comes right off. No, I don't get a commission . . . !

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the shop finally gave up today. They couldn't get it right. They did the right thing, though, and didn't charge me anything for the refinishing that they did. Although the job wasn't 100%, the wheels look better than they did. I'll probably leave them alone and deal with polishing them a couple of times per year. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte