wheel-hop-----what to do?

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what do i do to get rid of wheel hop on my 99gts.

thanks

starcity

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton,

I think it is a gearing issue. Talk to Ted at Valaya Racing in San Jose. He should be able to help you out.

408-297-1990 phone.

Tell him Chris with Star City sent you to him.

He is top notch in dealing with Vipers.

Good luck,

Chris

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure but if you find out let me know. I was showing a friend the car a couple months ago and did a hard acceleration. The rears spun and begun to hop. They hopped so bad I could see the hood of the car flexing like crazy. It looked like the hood wasn't lached but it was. Not sure if that is normal.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to deal with this last year. My car wheel hopped so bad I was embarrased to do a burn out. To make a long story short I tried a lot of different things and the only thing that made an improvement was when I removed the rear shocks, disassembled them & adjusted to the stiffest setting. This actually got rid of about 90 percent of my wheel hop.

Bo knows

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you disassembled your "stock" shocks?

How do you adjust them like that?

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First you have to remove the shock assembly from the vehicle. Compress the springs so you can remove the shocks to adjust them. I adjusted mine but I still have some wheel hop.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the hops in my 94' when I bang into second quite often... It was BAD in my 05' mustang GT, before I installed some Eibach lowering springs (sport line kit). After I installed the springs, it went away about 90%. 05' GT owners also said replacing the rear lower control arms helped with thier hop, but I don't feel it's necessary to do that, since the springs cured my hop. I hope it will reduce the hop on my Viper when I get off my lazy ass and intall my Eibachs (pro kit) on there.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frog - I installed Eibach and adjusted the shocks and I still have wheel hop. I tend to think it may have something to do with my tires or worse yet may be my engine mount is broken...

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't driven that much after the spring install so may be it take some time for the car to settle and react differently. Also, I haven't aligned the car yet and didn't set my shocks at the most firm setting. Hope your situation proves out to cure the wheel hop.

S

Stang7900

tires, pressure, rear end stiffness, launch.. they all contribute

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with the mustangs and other solid axle cars, replacing the rear trailing arms solves the problem. However the viper has an independent rear suspension and it doesnt have trailing arms.
My car is lowered and that doesnt help my hop at all.
I guess stiffer shocks would be the only solution. It sounds like theres isnt anything to replace because if there was we would allready know about it.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton
The link supplied by Hoosier shows good instructions for shock adjustment. You will need access to a spring compressor to remove the shock from the center of the spring for adjustment. Make sure you set the shock at its stiffest position. This cured almost all of my wheel hop after trying a variety of other recommended procedures.

Bo knows

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys ill adjust my shocks and let you know what happend.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was warned not to go full stiff in the rear as it may cause you to loose traction during high speed cornering and bumps on the road. I set mine at 50% stiffness - may be that's why I still have some wheel hop. Then again, I'd not worry about loosing traction during turns than some wheel hop in straight line.