wheel hop????

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 02 gts and i only drove it for a few days before it went in storage back tires were pretty wore down, i got 20's for the spring, but i found in first soemtimes in second too if i hammered it, and it started to spin the back would hop bad. it just felt like real bad wheel hop it was so annoying, any fixes for this?? anyone else ever have this problem??

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 02 gts and i only drove it for a few days before it went in storage back tires were pretty wore down, i got 20's for the spring, but i found in first soemtimes in second too if i hammered it, and it started to spin the back would hop bad. it just felt like real bad wheel hop it was so annoying, any fixes for this?? anyone else ever have this problem??

I have the same problem from time to time. Try lowering your tire pressures. You can also pull the coilovers and adjust them. Driving on smooth roads is also a cure. ;)

Be careful with wheel hop. You can start breaking stuff pretty easily if you do it often.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fresh R compound tires solved my wheel hop issues (and yes it will break things - I blew a half-shaft u-joint). Even when they spin they no longer hop like the old Pilots did.

Hey Sweet Ride: you won't hop (at least so hard) if you buy those Toyo R888s from me! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya it still has the stock suspension never touched, i didnt know ya could adjust them and like i said im not sure tire pressure as i only had teh car out for like 2 or 3 days, but ya them michelion pilots ****. I got a set of 20;s for next year see if they bite a little better and yes i know its ******* stuff thats why as soon as it did it id let right of on the gas.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting a lot of wheel hop in my GTS, but my 7k mile - original tires are the reason.... I'm sure some fresh tires will help a lot.

OP
OP
H

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know in 4cyl turbo drag cars i use to build if we got bad wheel hop we would go to poly mounts and problem solved . When my viper was smashed it broke all the mounts and i looked for poly ones but couldnt find any so i had to go to the dealer so all new mounts have less than 140 miles on them.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know in 4cyl turbo drag cars i use to build if we got bad wheel hop we would go to poly mounts and problem solved . When my viper was smashed it broke all the mounts and i looked for poly ones but couldnt find any so i had to go to the dealer so all new mounts have less than 140 miles on them.

Sounds like the cure for my stock 4cyl turbo car. Yellow Koni's with what look to be stock springs, fresh Michelin Pilot Exalto tires with W code speed rating and the left wheel (currently in FWD mode by pulling the 4WD fuse) has mad wheel hop if I make a spirited take off.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sweet Ride: you won't hop (at least so hard) if you buy those Toyo R888s from me! :D

:hmmm: You shouldn't have told me about that Powdercoater... My mind is racing trying to figure out a cool color combo that works for my current wheels.

If only you had some 18/19's for sale... :D

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Odd data point: I put some new rubber on today - the newish Nitto NT05s which have a wear rating of 200 and are supposed to be seriously sticky tires. On my first test drives they proved to not be so sticky and I spun the heck out of them, but here is the odd part - not one bit of hop. I had previously thought that the grip of new sticky tires alone eliminated hop, but here is spin with no hint of hop (which by the way is pretty dang fun). Is it possible that tires develop some sort of scalloped wear? Some sort of "flutter" if you will that leads to hop? Whatever the answer . . . spin does not necessarily = hop.

Here is the tread of the Nittos:

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4