when and what will gen I prices bottom out at?

vucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone care to guess??? Using corvettes as an example not a comparison mind u. C3s have bottomed out and are one the way back up. C4s are at the bottom of the price range and depending on the year and condition the value is established. C5s are still on the way down....etc. How do you think it will work with Gen 1 and Gen 2 vipers ???? What will a car in fair condition with mid miles go for compared to a mint low mileage car???

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they have (doubt it). Will probably be 15-20 years before prices start to climb near invoice price. It will also have to do with condition (of course) color, Mods (modded cars will be worth less I believe) and year (ex. 96-99 GTSs are probably going to demand the most because of forged pistons and lumpy cam). The more civilized these cars get, the less I feel they will be worth. The barbaric nature is what will drive collections to pay top dollar for these cars. The early Gen 1's with the leaky windows will be a distinct feature (if you want to call it that) that will have some wanting the particular year and model. Look at some of the older cars that had defaults but command more then there refined siblings. Just my .02 cent.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Gen I and II cars pretty much have bottomed out and seem to be stable for now. Hard to say if and when they will start to climb. The way these cars get wrecked I would think they will eventually start to get scarce.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the closing of the Conner Assembly Plant + DC changing hands + rumors of the Viper being discontinued, I doubt it will bottom out any time soon. Matter of fact, prices seem to be climbing in spite of the winter months approaching. If you're going to buy, I say buy now. Because if the Viper is discontinued, prices will only go up.... And if it isn't, I don't think prices are going to go much lower on Gen I/II's anyway.

Edit by Lee...DANG IT THE CONNOR PLANT AIN'T CLOSING! THE UAW CONTRACT RESERVED THE RIGHT TO CLOSE ABOUT 75% OF THEIR PLANTS AT SOME UNDETERMINED TIME IN THE FUTURE. THATS THE ONLY NEWS ON THAT ISSUE. THE NEXT GUY THAT GETS THIS CONFUSED AND SAYS CONNOR IS CLOSING WHILE I HAVE AN O8 ON ORDER IS GONNA BE IN MODERATOR HELL.

Last edited:

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 and 2's have pretty much already bottomed out in my opinion. Also, you cannot compare a Viper to a Corvette because there are more Corvettes made each year than all the Viper production years combined. I hope owners who are willing to part with their cars can be firm on prices to help keep the market consistent.... I'm saying that because I am not currently in the market to purchase another one.:)

OP
OP
V

vucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used corvettes as an example not a comparison. True there are far fewer vipers around...It makes me sick when I hear of one that has been totaled....I have been patiently waiting for the bottom to appear and I think that 2008 will be the year. Especially if the economy slips into a full blown recession.

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole market for vipers is crazy. Ive seen 10k spreads in price differences between almost identical gen II cars. 03-04 SRTs seem to be really hurting as Ive seen a few in the 40s with sub 20k miles on them.

Personally, Im awaiting another red/black RT 01-02 and was a day late on a 01 with 9.5k that went for 41k. I thought I did well back in August with an 01 with 21k for 42. The market is crazy and this weird ass economy isnt helping either. Not sure where prices are going, but I wouldnt mind a bit of a dip. :omg:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no doubt 1st/2nd generation Vipers will become collectors' items one day.
They're certainly alot wierder than 'vettes, and production numbers are very low.
I would think there are probabely even more old Shelby Mustangs in existance than Vipers, and look what happened to those prices.

It's just a question of when collectors will start a run on them. Mass buying them for hoarding.
It's actually a better time now, as these cars are on the road, in the hands of enthusiasts as it should be.

VIPER650R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Value will depend on the old supply and demand. If the demand is high and supply is low, values will go up. If demand drops off and supply is high values will lower. Gen I/II supply keeps going down as cars are being wrecked(can't build anymore lol). The demand will always be high for these gens. So, in turn values will go up.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as gas goes up all (fun cars) goes down, Time repeats its self, 80's you couldn't give a gto away. I wonder if the next hemi cuda is a crx, wrx?? I love my 95 viper and think its funny that my 70 gto is worth as much, I guess just buy what you like.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the closing of the Conner Assembly Plant + DC changing hands + rumors of the Viper being discontinued, I doubt it will bottom out any time soon. Matter of fact, prices seem to be climbing in spite of the winter months approaching. If you're going to buy, I say buy now. Because if the Viper is discontinued, prices will only go up.... And if it isn't, I don't think prices are going to go much lower on Gen I/II's anyway.

Edit by Lee...DANG IT THE CONNOR PLANT AIN'T CLOSING! THE UAW CONTRACT RESERVED THE RIGHT TO CLOSE ABOUT 75% OF THEIR PLANTS AT SOME UNDETERMINED TIME IN THE FUTURE. THATS THE ONLY NEWS ON THAT ISSUE. THE NEXT GUY THAT GETS THIS CONFUSED AND SAYS CONNOR IS CLOSING WHILE I HAVE AN O8 ON ORDER IS GONNA BE IN MODERATOR HELL.

OK. I'm just going by what I've read (click below), or at least the writing on the wall. That being said, it seems what you read changes daily....

UAW local chiefs OK deal with Chrysler

Chrysler Stays Flexible on Products and Plants - AutoObserver

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a slightly different view on what will effect future Viper prices.

I believe it will depend mostly on decisions of our government regulators.

If insurance gets too high on high performance vehicles they will kill demand.

If CO2 regulations go into effect, large motors will not be allowed on the roads.

If high octane is eliminated to reduce the numbers of fuels produced, Vipers will need to be detuned to run on the available fuel (like when lead was taken out in the 70's.

If mileage restrictions are inforced, they may not be allowed in the city, but only in the countryside.

If noise regulations are enforced, many Vipers will need have their muscular sound neutered.

"Take all the trees and put them in a tree museum..."

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a slightly different view on what will effect future Viper prices.

I believe it will depend mostly on decisions of our government regulators.

If insurance gets too high on high performance vehicles they will kill demand.

If CO2 regulations go into effect, large motors will not be allowed on the roads.

If high octane is eliminated to reduce the numbers of fuels produced, Vipers will need to be detuned to run on the available fuel (like when lead was taken out in the 70's.

If mileage restrictions are inforced, they may not be allowed in the city, but only in the countryside.

If noise regulations are enforced, many Vipers will need have their muscular sound neutered.

"Take all the trees and put them in a tree museum..."

Grandfather clause won't allow the gov. to remove existing cars from the road.

What mileage restrictions?

Insurance is already extremely high for Vipers.

Collectors would love it if Vipers were singled out for legislation as those special laws would make Vipers even more special than they are now.

There's a new Barrett Jackson coming to Speed Channel in Jan. That auction should give us an idea of what to expect for "collector car values".

Even though the economy did do a vast change in the last while there was still Vipers selling at their regular price. I only noticed that there were many more Vipers for sale and there were many more good bargains available.

It lloked like maybe a 10% reduction in value on many cars in the US. Here in Canada the 20% increase in price with our dollars now being about equal did seriously lower MY Canadian Viper's value. Since I'm not too interested in selling it - I don't care. I still love my car!

I am a little pissed that DAIMLER Chrysler canceled my warranty because I bought it in the states though. They said they did it to "discourage cross border shopping". They lied - extra taxes discourage crossborder shopping, ripping me off my warranty just takes my (or the previous owners) money and puts it into their pocket - otherwise they would have returned the amount of money the cancelled warranty was worth. They didn't.

I still love the car though.

Ted

NZGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,
well as an indication as to overseas prices, I bought my 97 GTS B/W ,13k on the clock, in New Zealand for 90k USD. that was a year ago and I have now seen a 99 GTS with 18k on the clock for 105k USD.
Given.... Vipers are like Rocking horse **** over here and a right hand drive conversion costs...... I am guessing 15kUSD. but they are worth alot and going up. But Australia prices are even higher from what I have seen online for the ones that are for sale.
Am Starting to think I should have Purchased one in the states and imported. would have saved a bit .

just my two cents worth

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will never see a clean title, under 50K mile viper for less than $20K. They prices are about as low as they are going to get. I also would not expect them to rise much for the next 5-10 years. They will have to be 35-40 years old to really be a collectable

OP
OP
V

vucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you dansauto...That will be the bottom.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nzgts,

Maybe you hit on something. Perhaps the rest of the world will jack up the Vipers' value eventually.
Like what happened to "T" series MG's in the early seventies, and they all got exported out of England. Coincidently that also was when the Brithish sterling was taking a beating aswell.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a new Barrett Jackson coming to Speed Channel in Jan. That auction should give us an idea of what to expect for "collector car values".

I'm not so sure about that, as I don't think BJ is a realistic barometer of collector car values. I've been there a couple of times, and it's a real circus, especially on Friday evening, and Saturday when all the high profile people show up, and prices seem to go through the roof. I think their Palm Beach Auction in March more accurately reflects prices.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I merely meant that watching BJ's auctions will give us an overview of where the collector car market at compared to last year, the year before, etc. Although I'm sure they've sold Vipers there, I haven't seen one sell.

Ted

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, a new Viper owner putting in my 2 cents here. Being my dream car, i checked the internet alot, sometimes daily over the past 6-7 years. In the past 1.5 years i slowed it down to maybe once or twice a month because of stuff like home ownership and preparation for marriage. :omg:

In my experience, i have seen some of the more desirable models such as the 92s, 96/97s and GT2s stop declining and move up in price (time frame being 2003-2006). Looking back, this matched up quite well with the raging bull market in the US. However, in the past year, prices in general have taken a bit of a pause, and in my opinion is due to the weakness in the economy (which will get worse).

i watch all generations of vipers (with less of an interest in Gen IIIs), and have recently seen some some sharper discounts than i would expect. As an econ major in college and working as a market analyst, i can tell you it is near impossible to call a top or catch a bottom. If you can, i want to be your apprentice so i can play the stock market exclusively as a job and go race vipers after the 1pm closing bell :D

But you CAN play the trend, and given the current economic environment, i feel you will see prices stagnate, along with a good deal of price variation. Owners that don't need to sell might ask for prices beyond what some are advertising (but unless they come across the right buyer, the car will sit longer), and on the other hand, owners who are overleveraged might be looking for a quick sale. The best part of the current situation is that it creates opportunity for prospective Viper owners to find what they are looking for.

Despite my interest in Viper price trends, the bottom line for me was to buy what i wanted, as long as i could afford it. Found my 96 GTS with 16k miles on it, one owner, Cali car for $44k. No stories. Had to act!

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nzgts,

Maybe you hit on something. Perhaps the rest of the world will jack up the Vipers' value eventually.
Like what happened to "T" series MG's in the early seventies, and they all got exported out of England. Coincidently that also was when the Brithish sterling was taking a beating aswell.

Excellent point! The international collector appeal could cause the viper's value to go through the roof one day. I've been surprised by how many foriegners LOVE my car, people from africa, india, china, russia etc. These same people couldn't care less about a corvette or a shelby mustang, but they love the viper. I think this has to do with the rarity of these cars or anything like them overseas. There could be a day when every rich chinese buisness man with a car collection "must have" a gen1 or gen 2 viper.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I'm sure they've sold Vipers there, I haven't seen one sell.

Ted

The Barrett Jackson is must see TV at Dave's house. Watch every minute of it. And I only have memory of one Viper. May have been others but that one sticks in my mind. It was some limited edition factory special PURPLE car.

Ugly. Went for less than $50K.

The BJ auction seems to be about old Corvettes, Mopar Hemi, and 1 of 1's.

Viper's have a way to go to nudge that crowd.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Barrett Jackson is must see TV at Dave's house. Watch every minute of it. And I only have memory of one Viper. May have been others but that one sticks in my mind. It was some limited edition factory special PURPLE car.

Ugly. Went for less than $50K.

The BJ auction seems to be about old Corvettes, Mopar Hemi, and 1 of 1's.

Viper's have a way to go to nudge that crowd.

I agree. I did see a like new Lingnfelter TT vette sell for something low like $60,000 once.

Ted

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they have already hit bottom. They will hover around this price for another 5 or so years than start slowly going up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte