When do you need a new clutch?

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine does not grab till it is almost all the way out. Is that a sign that a new clutch is necessary? I have about 28,000 miles on her and rarely get on it much, but I just got her 7 months ago so I don't know what a new one would feel like, any help is greatly appreciated.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say as long as it "grabs", you may just need an adjustment to change the amount of travel of the pedal before it engages. If it slips or slowly engages, you might need a new clutch.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot depends on the unknown factor of how the previous owner drove the car. I had to get a tranny rebuild, and new clutch after only 12K miles. Apparently the previous owner was totally inept at driving a manual tranny.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two clutches I have done were completed at 35K and 37K miles. First hint was a high release clutch petal. Also if you're driving around in 5th, hit the gas and if the RPMs rise without the car taking off(clutch slips), then you know it's your clutch.

OP
OP
I

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys but 99RT10 what if you are driving in 5th and only doing like 30mph and hit the gas, the cars is not going to take off until the speed catches up to the gear right???

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For mine, the clutch was not the weak link. The slave cylinder/throwout unit got rusty or sticky and I went to take off kinda hard from a stop and even with the clutch out, it didn't engage. Smoked that clutch. ;)