When to get new rotors

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this may be a really dumb question, but can viper rotors be turned more than normal car rotors. The only reason I ask is because the wear lip on my front rotors is about the depth of a dime and the parts stores around here tell me that they won't touch them since they are outside of their specs for liability reasons. Although one guy said he would gladly turn them under the table with no receipt and I'm starting to wonder if I really need new rotors or if I should just spend the $8 to get the rotors turned instead? What do you guys think? I would of course be getting new pads no matter what.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had new brakes installed at DC performance,Dan said you cannot turn them.I had 23000 on them,and had the same lip you mentioned.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my old car, I had mine turned, but because they are thinner, they will warp MUCH easier and won't last under hard braking. :eek:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a set from someone that has gone to an aftermarket rotor - thats what I did. Although I've yet to put them on the car, as, even after 70k miles on my Gen I (including a fair amount of track time), I'd not yet worn mine to that point.

Brand-new stock rotors used to cost only $80 each. Don't know if the price has gone up, though.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all rotors (as well than drums) have their minimum thickness stamped on it, just check them with a caliper and you will know for sure.

Luc.00GTS

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had new brakes installed at DC performance,Dan said you cannot turn them.

I hope this is NOT true, because when I asked about new pads recently MANY told me to turn the rotors before installing new pads, so I did. :confused: