Where do you go from here.....

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone see the article on page 11 of the new viper magazine labeled "Where do you go from here"?

Shows a picture of the youngest viper owner they have known so far next to his yellow RT/10. The short article states that he was born in 1981 and has owned the car since 1999.

From the picture it would appear as if he was kneeling against a 2001 yellow viper. Yes, I know yellow was available in '94 and '95, but was the 5 spoke wheels, fog light cover less fascia, and NACA duct hoods?

It would seem like a very costly upgrade to put a new fascia, hood and wheels on a Gen 1 viper for a kid under the age of 20.

But if he did have the resources to put all that stuff on an older viper, then that would explain his ability to add the door handles (look closely, they're there too)?

I guess he could have painted it. I seem to remember someone else painting there viper too. I think it had fish in fire on it
smile.gif

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow02, did you actually buy your car and pay insurance and do everything for yourself, and if you do what kind of job do you have. I got mine when I was 17 but it was a christmas, birthday, and graduation present for the next 20 years, but I still consider myself very lucky. I'm very impressed if you bought it yourself.

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same thing paul. steve i agree with you, but if you had a chance to get one at 16 would u turn it down? I doubt that you could, but if so you really do know how to work for your posessions.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Cody,

Maybe he has an '01 and swapped the wheels (or has an extra set?) of 5 star wheels.

OP
OP
C O D Y

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,
What? The article said he has owned it since 1999. Do you know of anyone that had a '01 on 1999?

To get a yellow viper in '99 he would have to have painted it. The wheels are from a '99 or newer and we all know that door hanldes were not an option until '96.

Did anyone check to see if the info they were publishing was correct?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Oh! Now I get your point. Hey DCR? Can you give us some help?

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow2, you didn't think you were going to get off easy, did you?
Sorry guy, but I'm 40 and I was 16 once, and if you are 1/10th the type of kid I was, and I was pretty normal, there is no way in the world, in the year 2001, that any 16 year old should be able to be behind the wheel of a Viper. In my opinion, you should be 20 before you can drive, and I would have killed anyone who said that to me when I was 16, but then again I wouldn't have done the stupid things I did in a car between the ages of 16 & 20.
I don't care if you are Doogie Howser (and you are probably to young to remember that show), earned the Congressional Medal of Honor, rescued ten people from a burning building, paid for it yourself, or worked out a deal with Dad in exchange for the next 40 years of gifts. No way can you handle the responsibility of a Viper. Glad you don't live in my neighborhood with my kids playing around.
Anyway, good luck, wish you the best, and drop us a note in one year's time as to how the last year went. Going to VOI7??? I gotta meet you.
Andrew

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew2KRT10:
Yellow2, you didn't think you were going to get off easy, did you?
Sorry guy, but I'm 40 and I was 16 once, and if you are 1/10th the type of kid I was, and I was pretty normal, there is no way in the world, in the year 2001, that any 16 year old should be able to be behind the wheel of a Viper. In my opinion, you should be 20 before you can drive, and I would have killed anyone who said that to me when I was 16, but then again I wouldn't have done the stupid things I did in a car between the ages of 16 & 20.
I don't care if you are Doogie Howser (and you are probably to young to remember that show), earned the Congressional Medal of Honor, rescued ten people from a burning building, paid for it yourself, or worked out a deal with Dad in exchange for the next 40 years of gifts. No way can you handle the responsibility of a Viper. Glad you don't live in my neighborhood with my kids playing around.
Anyway, good luck, wish you the best, and drop us a note in one year's time as to how the last year went. Going to VOI7??? I gotta meet you.
Andrew

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You people crack me up. Slamming him and then saying congradulations really makes up for it. Do you know him? DO you know his situation? Didnt' think so.

Gerald

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald:
Lighten up. No, I don't know him, and no, I don't know his situation. It doesn't matter. A 16 year old can not manage the responsibilities that come along with owning the fastest, most attractive production car made today (under 100K), not to mention the realization of value. I want to see what happens when he pull up to the High School and some hot blond wants a ride and asks him to "go fast". Then try and tell me that his hormones will stay in check, and he'll think with the head on his shoulders. 16, 17....whatever, doesn't matter. And I'm not slamming him. I'm just pointing out, what I am sure many will agree, is a really bad judgement call. I don't care where the money came from, he can't handle it.
But once again, good luck, this is just one opinion. Maybe I'm just nuts. At 16, I was happy to drive my grandfather's '69 Dodge Dart, with a 3 speed on the column and a slant six. And I even tried to race that!

AC

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 16 year olds these days are more numb to things like that. Teeneagers are hard to impress anymore and 75 grand for a car is pretty commonplace (can you even get a nice v12 benz for that?) I dont know the kid either but it would sure be cool to cruise around in a viper. 2 things could happen. He will get the crap beaten out of him by jealous people and his car will get vandalized or he will be cool and let everyone drive it. I drove my old mans zr1 when I was 16. I was a car nut so I didnt kill my self (I knew what the car was)

Good luck kid. You are one lucky SOB!
smile.gif
I would like to hear about both of your situations.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A large part of the satisfaction of owning a Viper or any nice car is the gratification of earning it through hard, smart, honest work. Even if a kid did accomplish this nobody would believe him, understandably so.

Personally, I couldn't care less. I have what I want.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve340:
I never received any thing of much value from my parents and no money.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew, I don't blame you for being p.o.'ed. I'd have a pretty crumudgeonly outlook too if my parents never gave me anything of value - birthdays must have been a real drag, huh? But I bet they weren't nearly as bad as that 30 mile trek, uphill both ways, through snow to school everyday......

Andrew - Sorry dude, but if some "hot blonde" asks just about anyone of the Usual Suspects to "go fast," odds are fear of an exhibition of speed ticket are thrown to the wind, and somebody is going fast, my friend.

Sounds like the guys who are slamming the 16 year old for getting a great gift are either sour grapes or were themselves dumb*sses looking for something to pile up when they were teenagers.

Nothing like slamming a guy and then trying to bail out of your flame with a niiiiiice guy tactic of "that's just my opinion," or "wow, you're an idiot, but good luck." Get off it - the kid will have an awesome car that anyone here would have taken in a second when they were 16. Hopefully the kid will get some good times out of it to boot!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't everyone gets nuts that yellow was available years ago...IT WASN"T! Dan's car was a black viper, with silver stripes. I know him well, as we work out at the same gym. Actually met him as I have a 96 black and silver Rt/10. As I was working out one day I saw the car drive out of the lot and thought someone had stolen my car....
Any way he had the entire car painted yellow. He likes yellow....if it had been me I would have traded up to a yellow one, but being that young painting the car was cheaper than being able to afford a new one....LOL...Wish I was that young and had a car like that at that age.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been wondering lately what these kids do when they get out of college and they can't get money from the parents anymore. Maybe that never happens, but I knew a ton of kids back in college whose parents were in the 6+figs and I know that for the most part, they don't or can't rely on their parents and are now reduced to a 30-40K salary w/o support. I went from a low 6 fig income family (which meant I got a normal car and insurance paid for me from 17-24 while I was in college and grad school) to making almost as much myself and even that was a rude awakening in the extreme.

Must be a California/New York thing. Around here, I don't think there is more than 2 guys (Bill Ford and Wagoner) that are stupid-rich enough to purchase a car like that for their kid, so it probably doesn't come into play a lot, but I sure do see a lot of little punks (or thugs, or whatever) rolling around D-town in Corvettes, BMWs, etc...

Some quick math; 80000 car for kid, 80000+ x2 for parents cars, house is probably 7 figs or more or they wouldn't get a car like that... So total per month is.... a sh*tload of money.

**** . I need to get into whatever field his Dad's in.

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off i do appreciate what i am getting, im not your average punk kid. I have been thru a lot already in life and i am going twards the right direction. i have a lot of respect for cars and i know the viper may be a little much for me to handle at first. im sure if i had to work my *** off i would appreciate it more, and i would act the same way if some "kid" got a 80 thousand dollar car handed to him. My brother got his when he turned 18, and he spun it into a ditch once which was not that big of deal, it could have happend in any car. Other than that he has had 3 years of driving with out any tickets or wrecks. BTW most blondes, or girls in general dont like to go fast. What im trying to say is, you dont have to like the fact that im 16 but give me respect cause im trying to learn as much as i can. Im gonna have to work for my next car so its not like im living a work free life.

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this one. I have a son thats almost 10, and I try to buy him things that he wants, and sometimes go overboard. Everyone has their own reasons for doing things. I didn't have any kind of family life when I was younger. Boarding schools, etc... For christmas I got a bag of nuts, and other rediculous stuff that kids just dont want. And thats just materialistic stuff, my parents we're never there for me, even now we don't talk. So I'm sure there is a reason these parents are buying their kid a viper. The only thing i worry about is the safety. Hell, most of us can't control these at times.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
the kid will have an awesome car that anyone here would have taken in a second when they were 16.

No kidding! Boy that was real smart! The point is a 16 year old shouldn't even be given the option to begin with.

Yellow02: You've been thru a lot in life already? What,...hair growth? That's a laugh. I have sneakers that have been thru more than you. Yep, learn as much as you can. I guess that's a plus. What's that old saying? Too bad that youth is wasted on the young?

And by the way, at 16, I wouldn't expect that you would know much about what blonds like. You missed the point.
Enough of this.
Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy the car. Can't argue with that!
Andrew

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont want to cause any problems but your really being a dick. i dont know whats wrong with you but i havent said anything to offend you in anyway and your trying to rip on me? well its better to have hair growth than loss buddy. dont foget to put on your hat
cool.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 33 and can't handle the car!!
I count my blessings every time I come home with out an incident!!! the car is scary powerful. With that much power on tap and other drivers the way they are today (read nuts), I have been very lucky.

At 16 it would have gotten vandalized by jelous A-holes and i probably would have spun it out.

just my 2 cents..

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

Most of you are either A.) Sticking up for the kid or B.) Putting him down. I have a different opinion: C.) I feel sorry for this kid. Let me explain. I, like most of you, spent many years saving for my dream car (10+ to be exact). I spent hours/days/weeks/years drooling on the pages of Motor Trend reading articles about the Viper kicking everythings a$$ in 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, skid pad, track times, etc... I even attended events such as 'One Lap of America' watching stock Vipers blow the doors off of highly modified Corvette's, Porsche's, RX-7's, etc... While drooling/saving, I had the privilege to own some O.K. auto's, mainly purchased for short term use/resale (1988 Hyundai Excel, 1986 BMW 325 ES (Nice car for $5,000, but to much $$$ to fix), 3 Saab 900's '86, '86T, '87TSPG(Nice) all over 100K (I repaired those), 1969 Corvette Convertible ($9,500) (350 engine), and a 1989 Mustang (350 HP 302) (Revved to 7,000 RPM's and did 12.9 in 1/4). These cars were purchased mainly because they were a good deal at the time, and I knew I could sell them with little or no loss. BTW, I still have a 1989 Buick Park Avenue 94K in excellent condition, that I use during winter months and bad weather. My point is this: The struggle is what makes this car so near and dear to our hearts. Every time we wedge into the car, we ever-so-gently slide the key into the ignition (Don't want to scratch anything), and fire up the legend that we read and drooled over since the prototype in 1989. This is a feeling that cannot be given, it must be earned. It is unfortunate that this boys parents are denying him this feeling. I just hope some parents read this and understand where I am coming from...

P.S. - Actually, I had the similar feeling when I finished College and saved/paid $2,000 for that 1988 Hyundai Excel - my first car (22K miles - great deal in 1993 - 4 spd. - 13' rims - 56rwhp LOL). Detailed and washed regularly!!

BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 90 year old grandad told me just the other day before he left to visit my 92 year old grandma at the nursing home that she has been at for over 12 years "son, if i had it to do over again I'd live every day as if it was my last. I'd die broke with a smile on my face knowing that I did it all".

My grandad has saved all of his life and not enjoyed any of the finer things..........he came across from Germany before the second world war, lived in the Bronx, worked hard, saved and retired in Florida. Now he is watching his savings dwindle to keep up with my grandmothers medical expenses. The shame of the story is that there are dozens of folks at this same home who are BROKE and the government pays 100% of their bills.

When I turned 16, I had a 70 camaro with a big block that ran low 11's...........this was before the days of nitrous oxide for cars. It devistated every car in my town, heck it still would. My highschool teachers gauked in awe as that bad beach cruised into the school parking lot with its two carbs sticking tall through the hood. Lots of jealousy. They never followed me home to my mowing job that paid for everything.

By 18 I owned (with my dad and brother) one of only 50 factory produced SS/AA HEMI Barracuda's that we raced the wheels off of for over 10 years. That car ran deep into the 9 second zone.

By 21 I was flying 700 MPH in turbojet aircraft. And the story goes on and on.

My point is; don't judge a person because of their age or financial preferences. Heck, I can show you thousands of retired folks living in my home town who have been driving cars for 80 years(EXPERIENCED??) and still can't get it right!

You never know when your situation is going to change. Do all that you can, while you can!

My son is almost 3. He has 2 electric race cars that he drives like a pro. As soon as he can reach the pedals, he will get something bigger and faster. I will not let ANYTHING stand in the way of his progression and eventual sucess, not even my love and concern. I will trust in him, like my father did in me, and like the young man in questions father does in him.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had to chime in and support my buddy Andrew. I couldn't agree with him more. I think it's great that this kid is getting a viper. If my parents got it for me at that age, I would have jumped at the chance. But knowing what I know now - If given the chance, I'd tell my dad to put the money for the car away for me; Sit on the investment and reap the rewards later.
Plus the itch to drive stupidly will eventually be too great ( I think). Judging from the amount of stupid young kids I see driving Hondas that sound like lawnmowers, it's hard to believe that a viper would be the right choice for a 16 year old kid. Hope he learns how to use the power wisely.

Note:
When you get your first bunch of tickets, look me up. As a lawyer, I don't usually handle traffic matters, but sounds like I could pick up a good chunk of change from your generous parents! Just kidding.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geoff,

Yes, type rated in CE-650, MMO of .851 mach. Got an FAA waiver for ATP until 23 but flying FAR part 91 there is no minimum age for Type Rating in a turbojet. Actually had accumulated over 200 hours in Lear 35A before changing jobs and getting Typed in Citation 3.

thanks for your question. I notice your avitar says Greenwich CT. I will be there tomorrow. I commute to and fly out of HPN.

Take Care,

Tom

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Tom,

I feel you are missing the point. DON'T FORGET about all those lawns you had to mow to get that awesome big block!!! It's not the cars that gave you the motivation to be an awesome individual, it was all those miles and miles of mowing..... Please pass this 'work ethic' onto your son, as I'm sure you will, and let him earn as you have.

P.S. - Tom's worst nightmare: His son spending 20 G's on a souped up Civic - with a wing and body kit!!!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onerare,

I think I overstated my point, which I sometimes tend to do...LOL.

In a nutshell, if you can afford it(for whatever reason) and have the talent to use it as intended, GET IT. Every time the sun sets, thats one less that we have to enjoy.

You should see him go on the mower with me now. I may be able to deal with the Civic, but a Mazda with no muffler and Im crushed!

Tom

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

Agreed.

P.S. - Keep up the good work with the aftermarket parts/services/advice/Nitro-Prop-Gas. You are a vital part of the Viper Nation!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang