Which auto transport to use from St. Louis, MO to San Jose CA?

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well, I am down to the last stage of getting my viper. Papers HOPEFULLY will close tomorrow and funding will be done. I have narrowed down to two auto transporters: Passport (which is bought out by FED EX) and Reliable Carriers.....Garry Almond is still sick so can't do it. Everyone is quoting about $1600 for closed transport. By the way, don't ever try A-1 Transport. Bait and switch tactic. First they quoted me $1150, and now says "oh, that's for going from CA to MO. It's much more if we go the other way..." I am looking for the quickest ones. Too many sleepless nights just waiting for my baby to come home. What have been your experience with either of these transporters? And yes, I have considered flying back to St. Louis and driving the car home, but the wifey says no she will not stay at home with 3 kids by herself again, and anyway, it is getting cold and snowy....not the best time to drive a viper across country. Thanks for any help, everyone.

By the way, thank you, Nascardave, for helping me find this car, and thanks, PBJ for sending me many PM regarding the car. It's helped me a lot. :2tu:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Passport, but have had good experience with Reliable. They are not the low cost provider, but they do an excellent job. Dodge uses them for most of their corporate Viper transporting.

sal3coach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used Horseless Carriage to move a very expensive car and they deliver many high end cars like Ferrari, etc. They do a fantastic job. (Sorry I haven't used either of the 2 you mention)

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, I have decided on Passport. I called up Reliable, which actually quoted me $300 less than Passport, but I did not like the tone of voice of Ben. He answer the phone by "yeah that's me, Ben". I introduced myself as getting his email about the quote and had some questions. He said, "ok, shoot". I asked him how long is the realistic wait time for pick up? he replied, "read the email". I said, yeah, the email said 2-3 weeks, but is that for pickup or for delivery? he replied, "both". So I said, it could be up to 6 weeks? He replied, "yup".

I mean, would you trust someone with that attitude with your viper? I can't believe that guy. I've had better care, buying a pair of shoes.

I called passport, and although the waiting time is also 1-3 weeks, they were much nicer, and said to call her specifically anytime I got the "itch" for a status.

Horseless Carriages quoted $2k, and 4-5 weeks waiting just for pick up.

Bottom line, I ordered with passport. They are actually located near St. Louis too.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben is definitely the kind of point person I would want for my company. What a loser. You did the right thing, that attitude said all you needed to know about their customer service down the road if a problem would have occurred.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Hey,
Glad to see everything is coming together. I have used Passport several times and have had nothing but good luck. Are they picking the car up from John's house , shop, their shop... You are more than welcome to have John drop off the car at my shop and have them pick it up there. I am right off the highway and I have a lot big enough to turn a 48 foot trailer around with no problem. There is no way for them to get to John's house and his shops are a little out of the way for a 18 wheeler to get into. He may just take it to their building off of 270 and Dorsett, I think they have another storage facility also if I am not mistaken. Anyway, like I have said before, let me know if I can help out.
Later,
Joe

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Joe. I should have met up with you to say Hi when I was there last week, but could not because had to fly back almost right away. I will tell John your offer. I am sure he will appreciate that. Again, thanks!!!!

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincentesq,
I agree with Joe. Passport is very good and I have used them several times.

I expect a holiday card Vincent:)

Congrats!

DN

Rapid Transit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an idiot that Ben was, just lost a big chunk of change for the company. I especially hate the response "read the email". ***? Why the sore attitude towards a potential customer whos wants to spend $ for his company. His last name is probably Dover.