Which O-ring to remove in proportioning valve?

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am cleaning up the brakes on my 97 GTS, and I wanted to remove the O-ring from the proportioning valve. I couldn't find any photo's of this, and I want to make sure I removed the right one!

I removed the one that is on the end of the piston that is held in by a spring, towards the inside of the valve assembly. The o-ring was about 1/2 in diameter, about 1/8 of an inch thick, and flat. It had a dimpled pattern on one side, and small angular ridges on the other. Does this sound like I removed the right one? Anyone know where I can find some photo's? Is the car safe to drive?(!)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CAUTION ! Too many novice eyes read this.

Do NOT attempt this until you have had a driving school! This alteration is not to be entered into lightly.

A mistake CAN cause a fatal error.

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The general consensus is that removing the o-ring will improve brake balance. *** NOTE *** REMOVING THE O-RING combines the front and rear braking circuits. This eliminates the safety built into a dual circuit braking system. The o-ring isolates the front and rear circuits so that a failure in one, does not take out the other. If you want to reduce the rear bias and protect the integrity of a dual system, remove the spring. Leave the seal installed.
Just my $.000000000002

OP
OP
E

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm asking for information so as not to make a fatal mistake in my attempts to do what seems to be considered a fairly standard procedure. I wish to have a little more brake performance, and I do realize that I run the risk of locking up the rear wheels...

It was my understnadin the the VCA forum was/is for sharing infomration with other members.

Rest assured JonB, I have been racing cars for 9 years, and the Viper is just one more car in a long line of performance cars I have owned, and currently own (many 911's, a 911 (930) Turbo, Lotus Esprite Turbo SE, etc.)

Several post's have made reference to "removing the O-ring", and I just wanted to know the exact details of this procedure so as not to screw it up.

Thanks to those who have replied with helpful information so far. If any one has any photo's that would be great!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This whole o ring and spring issue is a non issue if you
have a 2001+ with ABS. Right?
I have ABS and don't intend on modding the system. but I know as always years matter.

thanks
JIM
smile.gif

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS will automatically monitor impending wheel lock and reduce braking force at that wheel. Perfect brake balance is atained through ABS under all conditions. Dont remove the o-ring.