which one? EBC - Hawk - PFC - Pagid

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A properly working set of reds should not make noise, and have almost identical dust levels to the old greens, with much better stopping power. I dont know when you tested, but there was a bad batch of EBC Reds back a few months ago, and they all seemed to squeel like crazy. You may have had a set of those. EBC has not admitted they had a bad run as of yet, but I had two sets produced at the same time, and they squeeled and dusted much more than usual, and swapping the pads out fixed the problem in both cases. Something wasnt right with the set of them, thats for sure.

Thats good info Dan. I thought I was going crazy after all of the positive feedback I read prior to purchasing the EBC reds. Indeed, mine were purchased just a few months ago. Upon a proper break-in, I kept waiting for the dust and noise to improve for over 500 miles. It never did! Jon from PartsRack did check with EBC (thanks Jon) and they claimed there was no such thing as a "bad batch"... I don't understand why EBC doesn't fess up and replace under warranty. Their negligence forced me to switch pads after years of supporting their products. :(

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I know if my EBC greens are the new or the old. I bought them a little over a year ago and still have the boxes they came in.

They are most likely the "new" compound unless they were laying on the shelf for a very long time. I originally bought the "old" green compound back in late 2002. I first noticed the green compound changed when I bought a set in late 2004.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A properly working set of reds should not make noise, and have almost identical dust levels to the old greens, with much better stopping power.

Do the reds have any type of "guarantee" to work as advertised? :2tu: I agree with what you say about the greens. Mine hardly dust, but they **** at stopping.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do the reds have any type of "guarantee" to work as advertised? :2tu: I agree with what you say about the greens. Mine hardly dust, but they **** at stopping.

I'll be honest with you, brakes are a very tough thing to deal with on warranty [long distance at least] due to previous customer neglect of brakes, different expectations, etc. However, as long as you meet the following, we would take a return/exchange on them;

1. Rotors must be new or resurfaced- NOT just sanded. Old cups/grooves CAN cause problems on new pads. If you would like to take the risk thats fine, but we cant warranty your risk.

2. Must wait at least 500 city miles- pads take a long time to break in.

3. Must be installed correctly on a properly working brake system.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know who sells Hawk brake pads? :dunno:

Bought mine here: Zeckhausen Racing

Unless you can find a VCA sponsor that sells them, buy them there. Customer service was knowledegable and fast shipping.

Which version did you buy? I'm assuming that you are talking about the Hawk HPS since those are the only ones with fronts and rears listed? I'd guess that it is probably not a good idea to mix types between front and rear unless one knows how to evaluate any change in braking bias.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which version did you buy? I'm assuming that you are talking about the Hawk HPS since those are the only ones with fronts and rears listed? I'd guess that it is probably not a good idea to mix types between front and rear unless one knows how to evaluate any change in braking bias.

I actually bought the ceramic pads for the Viper but I have a different car that I tried the HPS variation. Both variations are great on dust. I'd say the ceramics have just a tad less dust than the HPS.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually bought the ceramic pads for the Viper but I have a different car that I tried the HPS variation. Both variations are great on dust. I'd say the ceramics have just a tad less dust than the HPS.

Do they make a ceramic pad for the rears or did you just do the fronts ?

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bought mine here: Zeckhausen Racing

Unless you can find a VCA sponsor that sells them, buy them there. Customer service was knowledegable and fast shipping.

I called Zeckhausen today and left a message with them. Hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.

Just wanted to see if anyone purchased Hawks from VCA sponsors.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jason
I just got the SS back with Eurotechs and Hawk HPS pads. After bedding the pads and rotors. (still only 50 miles on them) there is a significant difference in perf. and the dust. Ii still have a way to go to fully break them in but the Hawks are a big improvemant.

I got the Rotors and the Hawk pads from Mike at XVipers... 2 days

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Zeckhausen today and left a message with them. Hopefully I will hear from them tomorrow.

With a name like that I wonder if each purchase comes with a couple of bratwursts & cream stout ales?

Back to brakes, be sure and post your outcome with them. I've got a non Viper vehicle (the purple buggy...) that I've used HPS pads on and really liked them. Which BTW I think stands for High Performance Street. Probably even says that on their web site somewhere. Dunno. I'm thinking brats right now.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Jason. not to hijack your thread but thought you might want to see my new Tungsten car... Now, back to the brake pad issue...

ford_gt.jpg

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jason
I just got the SS back with Eurotechs and Hawk HPS pads. After bedding the pads and rotors. (still only 50 miles on them) there is a significant difference in perf. and the dust. Ii still have a way to go to fully break them in but the Hawks are a big improvemant.

I got the Rotors and the Hawk pads from Mike at XVipers... 2 days

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for letting me know that Michael sells Hawk pads :2tu: I will place my order with him today!

Cheers
Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry Jason. not to hijack your thread but thought you might want to see my new Tungsten car... Now, back to the brake pad issue...

ford_gt.jpg

YOUR, YOUR?? new Tungsten car? :omg: :rolleyes: :D THAT'S MY CAR!!!! :drive: I can't wait for Michael to bring it North to me :eater: :eater: :eater: :eater: I've been counting the days down like Christmas.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOUR, YOUR?? new Tungsten car? :omg: :rolleyes: :D THAT'S MY CAR!!!! :drive: I can't wait for Michael to bring it North to me :eater: :eater: :eater: :eater: I've been counting the days down like Christmas.

Sorry Jason, I couldn't help it...:rolaugh::D;);). mike sent me the photo the other day. I'll bet you are counting the days, I know I would be.

Sorry, back to brake pads...

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry Jason, I couldn't help it...:rolaugh::D;);). mike sent me the photo the other day. I'll bet you are counting the days, I know I would be.

Sorry, back to brake pads...

Just placed my order with Michael for the Hawk pads. :)

I've been counting the days for months and months :omg: I am so anxious to take it for a rip :drive:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, all good points. I'll give you that.

But for me, I go on a 45 minute drive and my wheels are dusted up and need cleaning. To me, that means they ****. I don't sugar coat things. That's just me.:2tu:

You wanna swap out to a set of EBC greens? :D My greens dust way less than stock. My rims still looked clean after a recent 200 mile trip. I'm just not happy with the stopping power of the greens, as they seem no better than the oem pads.