Who changes their own oil?

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is easy. Just drain oil and remove filter. Before you replace your filter fill it with oil so that the engine does not dry start. Also make sure you do not overfill.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I, II or III?

Gen I is the only one that I know to do anything special. I place a plastic bag over the filter during rempoval to avoid spilling oil on the frame. That is a Gen I effect only as the filter is horizontal.

For the Gen III (similar to Gen II) I pre-fill the filter with oil before installing. Reduces the time to pressure for the first post change start.

Other than that the only thing I do is use standard oil for the winter fill and change it back out in the spring. Cheaper and I believe it keeps thing wetted just a little better than synthetic. Note I do not drive with that oil. Only stored.

Pay special attention to the fill level as the fill quantity varied through the years.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change all my own fluids and do all routine maintenance. The Viper is probably the easiest car I've worked on since my 60 Chevy 25 years ago.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$6 per qt from Dodge for Mobil 1 vs. $18 for 5 qts from Wal-Mart. Labor + Filter + oil at the dealer would be $100. Oil + filter alone is $40-$45. Wouldn't trust the Jiffy lube guys. Do it myself.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use an ice pick and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain in before unscrewing it and removing from the engine. That helps from making a big mess. It would help to pick up one of the low jacks from Harbor freight ($169-$179)
this will allow you to lift the car without driving up on 2x6s. Use jack stands!!! Also use the correct lifting pads under the sides of the car, be carful not to pinch the side sills. They can get in the way.
oil and filter change, 10 qts.
This is a good way to get to know your car from the ground up.
Good luck,
Dan

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't resist: :shocked:
You must be registered for see images attach

$50 lesson: Be sure the filter is threaded properly and always perform a leak check. Luckily, no harm to the Viper.

99BLKRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that I won't have a problem finding Mobil 1 oil. What about a Viper oil filter? Autozone, Pepboys, or do I have to go to the dealer?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Make sure you have a big enough drain pan. I almost usesd my normal one.......Thank goodness I remember the amount that was going to come out......

Let's see, I'm buying 10 qts that means 10 should come out.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that I won't have a problem finding Mobil 1 oil. What about a Viper oil filter? Autozone, Pepboys, or do I have to go to the dealer?

Mobil 1 is what the stock factory filter is except packaged for Mopar.
Get a Mobil 1 filter for about $11 at Auto Zone.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it myself. I bought some ramps, but I may invest in the low-rise jack that was previously mentioned.
Like Chuck, I'll be doing most of my basic maintenance myself.
:)

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the car is level when you drain the oil. If the car is "jacked up" in the front you will have about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart that does not drain out. Not good.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing about the oil filter [and mopar parts]... my Jeep Grand Cherokee uses the same filter. Exactly the same filter.

Go figure!

Oil change is more of a pain on the Jeep than on the Viper, though.

JD

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oil change is more of a pain on the Jeep than on the Viper, though.

JD

How's that? I have both also. Jeeps a piece of cake althouth the Viper wasn't bad other than the cost.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JimB - how come the underside of the nose is so perfect - you need to put that car on the track and ding it up a bit

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Also may be worth replacing the oil drain plug gasket if it hasn't been replaced in a while. Trust me on this one - I've learned the hard way as I didn't change it last time and now have a leak from the drain plug.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
25ft/lb on the drain plug - don't strip it!

The good thing to do is jack up all four corners and keep the pan level - this will get most of the oil out (if you jack up the front it'll cause the bad oil to pool at the back of the pan.)

Best thing possible is to let it drain overnight so that all 9qts drain out and you can start fresh.

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JimB - how come the underside of the nose is so perfect - you need to put that car on the track and ding it up a bit
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread, but could not resist. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456