Who has removed the stock cats and mufflers with only the resonators?

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My new to me GTS already has straight pipes in lieu of the rear mufflers and I'm weighing the pros and cons of also removing the cats mainly to cut down on the sill heat. I have read what appears to be hearsay that it gets noisy and smelly. Is this fully truth? I should also mention mine is also not remotely close to a DD. I would appreciate input from those who have tried this arraignment.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Headers, No cats and Corsa track exhaust. See my Paxton ACR (on youtube.com) for Hi-flow Cats, stock exhaust manifolds and Corsa street exhaust.

Yes I can often smell exhaust on my GTS. I have simms on my GTS as NO Cats requires sims or nonfouler units to be built.

Ted

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
97 GTS...Roe High flow cats and nothing else to speak of. 3" out the back...I like loud but this is very loud, would not let me run at Limerock!

Steve

It does sound evil however:drive:

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01 GTS 1"7/8 headers, deleted cats, took out the corsa exhaust and ran 3" pipe from headers out. I love how loud it is, backfires a bit and you can smell exhaust sometimes. You just dont wanna have your windows down when I come up and pass you............

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like loud, this is the way to go. Personally I like loud so I made the mods. Only if you're travelling 2+ hours does it get to be problematic. What?:drive:

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not too bad driving long distance, I can still talk on the phone, listen to my stereo. As for smelling the exhaust, its only every once in a while its not a constant smell.....but who knows maybe Im breathing in more then I know

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On one of my gts's I have headers, no cat, resonator, out 3" side pipes... It's VERY loud. Painfully loud at times!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the side sills are much cooler and will no longer burn your legs. yes it is a bit louder, but the car sounds alot better. you will find a little soot on your rear bumper though sometimes, but its minimal. i cant smell any exhaust fumes in my GTS.

go for it, you will be glad you did.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you like to cruise with your windows down and you come to a stop you will smell it depending on the direction of the wind.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Converted mine to side exhaust. Removed the cat, left the resonator and added a side Dynomax muffler. Sounds great at idle. Loud driving down the road. Not intolerable, but loud. At WOT it will wake the dead. The exhaust does have some smell but not enough to discourage you. I also smell it a little more since it is coming from the side. Heat on the side sill is not an issue, but mine are glass not aluminum.

I might one day try Corsas or Borlas just for fun. IMHO if you can't hear these cars then you lose a lot of the thrill.

Ron

OP
OP
B

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice Dave!! I think I may do something similar or just leave it as is until I get headers and a full 3" system.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be accustomed to the smell of catless, but I never smell it. Factory manifolds, test pipes, B&B cbe. Love the sound.

Nick

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bellangers, no cats, roe bullet mufflers (similar to resonators), x-pipe muffler delete here...

listen for yourself, this is at idle. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAFGoDsRLk&feature=player_embedded[/media]

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent sound plumcrazy.

Just to verify, when you say Belangers - do you mean the exhaust manifold ?
Also - is that cam stock ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte