Who Has the Biggest Top End And Really Been There On This Site

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FFVIPER -- going 145 is night and day compared to going 180 or faster. At 145, the car is solid and feel fantastic. FOr an adrenaline kick, you should punch that baby up to 170 MPH -- fun fun fun! At about 175, at least in my car, I got hood vibration which made me nervous. Once I passed 180 MPH, the car was accelerating very hard (still throwing me back in my seat) and I let off due to the hood shaking. I have a gap on one side of the front hood that I need to fix before doing that again -- the gap is large enough for me to nearly stick my pinky in it, so no doubt that was creating drag on that side.

At 200+ MPH, logic starts scaring me -- I start thinking of all the things that could go wrong and kill me, like a tire blow out, or my front splitter or rear wing breaking, or one of a dozen other things.

Curious, Paolo, when you did over 200 MPH, were your windows all the way up? Any issues with the pressure wanting to blow out any windows?

Manny, I did the video with the windows open. That's why the camera started to vibrate @ 175 ish.

Depending on how well your doors/windows seal, you could have the windows push out at 165-185. It all depends upon the car and the weather.

From What I hear, Jerry is no longer at autoform.

Don't bother to ask how fast their kit is rated, if they are smart they will not tell you.

Hey, the worst thing that could happen is the [******] will fly off the car. I would not worry about it.

How about the worse thing is maybe the front splitter comes off the car and I run over it at 200 MPH -- could put a little hurt into my life, ya think?

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FFVIPER -- going 145 is night and day compared to going 180 or faster. At 145, the car is solid and feel fantastic. FOr an adrenaline kick, you should punch that baby up to 170 MPH -- fun fun fun! At about 175, at least in my car, I got hood vibration which made me nervous. Once I passed 180 MPH, the car was accelerating very hard (still throwing me back in my seat) and I let off due to the hood shaking. I have a gap on one side of the front hood that I need to fix before doing that again -- the gap is large enough for me to nearly stick my pinky in it, so no doubt that was creating drag on that side.

At 200+ MPH, logic starts scaring me -- I start thinking of all the things that could go wrong and kill me, like a tire blow out, or my front splitter or rear wing breaking, or one of a dozen other things.

Curious, Paolo, when you did over 200 MPH, were your windows all the way up? Any issues with the pressure wanting to blow out any windows?

Manny, I did the video with the windows open. That's why the camera started to vibrate @ 175 ish.

Depending on how well your doors/windows seal, you could have the windows push out at 165-185. It all depends upon the car and the weather.

From What I hear, Jerry is no longer at autoform.

Don't bother to ask how fast their kit is rated, if they are smart they will not tell you.

Hey, the worst thing that could happen is the [******] will fly off the car. I would not worry about it.

How about the worse thing is maybe the front splitter comes off the car and I run over it at 200 MPH -- could put a little hurt into my life, ya think?

By the way, in a high speed event like that, is it best to leave one of the windows cracked slighly open for the pressure?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holly crap that was a sick video and looked effortless lol :eek: One thing though Paolo, you air fuel ratio stays over 12.0 all the way up to redline :eek: :eek: No way you are running that with pump are you? Talk about cutting edge :eek: By the way since you have the air fuel ratio in there what was the difference from the dyno to the street, how much leaner did the car get, thanx :2tu:

Mike

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Manny, if you are even thinking of these things, I would recommend not going 200+ MPH! Either you do it or you don't: While splitters and wings may look cool, the pimpware has no business on the car for the high speed [******]. All it does is slows down the car and could actually make the car squirrely if the front and rear downforce mods are not perfectly balanced.

All you need is the stock [******], 2" lowering, corner weighting with the proper weight balance front to rear, bias and the proper alignment with a little rake and you will be much better off.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holly crap that was a sick video and looked effortless lol :eek: One thing though Paolo, you air fuel ratio stays over 12.0 all the way up to redline :eek: :eek: No way you are running that with pump are you? Talk about cutting edge :eek: By the way since you have the air fuel ratio in there what was the difference from the dyno to the street, how much leaner did the car get, thanx :2tu:

Mike

Mike, the optimum air fuel ratio for power is 12.5:1. Running richer than 12.5:1 generally makes less power. The purpose for the richer mix is the idea the fuel will absorb some of the heat. This is not really the right way to go as the specific heat absorption of water is 7 times that of fuel and the specific heat absorption of methanol is roughly around 3-3.5 times that of fuel(if my memory serves me correctly). So what I am saying is that in absolute terms, dumping in more fuel does not net nearly as much heat absorption as a good H2O/Methanol mix. Tuners tune richer air-fuel ratios to cool the charge to minimize the chance for detonation. Using the H2O/Methanol injection, the intake charge is cooled dramatically as compared to just a richer AF.

I did this in 30 degrees a couple days after X-mas. I think the cooler temperatures and denser air made the car run a tad higher than the 12.5:1. I am sure at those temperatures, there was little chance for detonation.

So Mike, When are we going to see your standing mile video?

Do you have your car back yet?

What did your car make?

Can you post a dyno sheet?

I am glad you liked the video, the VHS copy is much clearer. If you don't break my balls too hard between now and the next time I see you, I will make you a copy!

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Manny, if you are even thinking of these things, I would recommend not going 200+ MPH! Either you do it or you don't: While splitters and wings may look cool, the pimpware has no business on the car for the high speed [******]. All it does is slows down the car and could actually make the car squirrely if the front and rear downforce mods are not perfectly balanced.

All you need is the stock [******], 2" lowering, corner weighting with the proper weight balance front to rear, bias and the proper alignment with a little rake and you will be much better off.

I agree that the car would be slower, but I would think the additional down force would keep the car more stable at speed and keep it from potentially lifting (like Nascars) ?

And yeah, I am one of those weird guys that thinks about the WHAT IF scenarios before my trek out to hit 200 MPH -- I'm so strange, I know.

-Manny

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the car would be slower, but I would think the additional down force would keep the car more stable at speed and keep it from potentially lifting (like Nascars) ?

And yeah, I am one of those weird guys that thinks about the WHAT IF scenarios before my trek out to hit 200 MPH -- I'm so strange, I know.

-Manny

Manny, Like I said, All you need is the stock [******], 2" lowering, corner weighting with the proper weight balance front to rear, bias and the proper alignment with a little rake and you will be much better off.

The stock car is stable as can be at 185-190. The more important thing to keep in mind is choosing the road surface. You want straight, smooth and NO TRUCK RUTS!

==> I would never even consider going that fast on a road with the ruts or a road with which I am extremely familiar.

Of course new tires with the pressure checked every time before you get into the car. You also need to make sure you get the car aligned with the pressure you intend to run.

One thing Dave Golder taught me is you could possibly put something on the front and by the sides to prevent air from getting under the car. Usually something flexible that will just wear away when contact with the ground occurs. John Horton knows all of this. Ask him he has done this very thing.

FFVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Who Has the Biggest Top End And Really Been There On This Site

ok thanks for the info superbar. i will let u know the next time i have the chance to go that fast or faster again.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike

Mike, the optimum air fuel ratio for power is 12.5:1. Running richer than 12.5:1 generally makes less power. The purpose for the richer mix is the idea the fuel will absorb some of the heat. This is not really the right way to go as the specific heat absorption of water is 7 times that of fuel and the specific heat absorption of methanol is roughly around 3-3.5 times that of fuel(if my memory serves me correctly). So what I am saying is that in absolute terms, dumping in more fuel does not net nearly as much heat absorption as a good H2O/Methanol mix. Tuners tune richer air-fuel ratios to cool the charge to minimize the chance for detonation. Using the H2O/Methanol injection, the intake charge is cooled dramatically as compared to just a richer AF.

I did this in 30 degrees a couple days after X-mas. I think the cooler temperatures and denser air made the car run a tad higher than the 12.5:1. I am sure at those temperatures, there was little chance for detonation.

So Mike, When are we going to see your standing mile video?

Do you have your car back yet?

What did your car make?

Can you post a dyno sheet?

I am glad you liked the video, the VHS copy is much clearer. If you don't break my balls too hard between now and the next time I see you, I will make you a copy!
Dude I'm not breaking your balls, just that my car is tuned extremely safe at 10.9 with water injection lol. I guess Doug knows I'm a nut case and he is covering his behind. I made 877 with the 10.9 tune which is amazing I thought on pump gas. There is more left in my car and I have left it behind for Doug to play with and test. I'm also getting new suspension done for the street and track:)Since you have that air fuel gage in your car can you tell me what your air fuel ratio on the dyno was?? I'm curious to how much that # changes from dyno to the street. As far as the standing mile goes, you know I'm gonna do it as soon as I can find a road straight enough and empty enough for me to lol. Hopefully in KY in 2 weeks :D

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Manny

Manny, Like I said, All you need is the stock [******], 2" lowering, corner weighting with the proper weight balance front to rear, bias and the proper alignment with a little rake and you will be much better off.

As you have seen from my video, my car is not stock - body wise. My questions pertained to my car since I have a wing, front and side splitter, diffuser, etc. I can't lower my front end more than 5 inches off the ground, otherwise it is a nightmare driving around town with the front splitter (I know, as my RT/10 has a splitter that is 4 inches and it scrapes EVERYTHING.)

Manny

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go proof is in the pudding. my dyno was ovelayed with Manny's for comparason, mine is the red one. Annyone wants to guess what would my hp and tq reading be if I were to run a 12.5 air fuel ratio??? I'm curious, sorry for the size of the pic lol, didnt have time to resize it :p

You must be registered for see images

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have a meager 500 HP GTS... Who has been over 200MPH or more?? There seems to be some very radical cars on this site. I know a lot of Vipers are capable, but how many of you have the **** to do it...AL...

From a dead stop, I hit 200 MPH in less than 25 seconds and 213 MPH at the 6200 RPM fuel cut in 28 seconds. Piece of cake. :headbang:

After reading the Engineering/Science Technical report from Paolo, I've come to the conclusion that this thread should be retitled to:

"Who Has the Biggest Stones and Really Been There On This Site"!!

W/out Paolo this thread couldn't be Complete!!
:headbang:
Jay K.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

170 several times with TOP DOWN,protected by Autoform rollbar.lol
170 with top down is 270 virtual reality.
I WIN :smirk:

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey TOOFAST,
What was it 2 years ago, about 185 top on. Would have loved to be a fly on the inside of that cops car. hehehehe

Tom

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike, am I reading the graph correctly? You and Manny have almost the same curves?

Chad

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

almost except for one little thing called big fat consevative tune. I'm curious to what my car will put out with a similar tune? Anyone wanna guess, also look at where Doug stoped my pull just past 5500rpm. My motor only had 190miles on it and he didnt want to push it just yet ;) Also I think ~30lbs more of tq :)

Mike

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My top speed so far is 200.555 mph!..Oops that was in my little 4 ****** srt-4 powered Roadster :D
You must be registered for see images attach

I am working on the the GTS speeds :)

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What most people don't understand is the tuning of the car. Mike your car being tuned at a 10.9 A/F and pulling 876/850 is unreal! Simply amazing. Your car isn't conservatively tuned, it hasnt' even scratched the tip of being pushed hard! :2tu: It's not a S/C package with high HP and MUCH lower TQ. Anyone can spin up a blower......

DLM builds street cars and cars that will last for years and years and years. Ever wonder what it's like having a 1,000HP dialy driver? Well you do now, and it'll run like a clock. Just ask Roof. Crap, mines over 3 years old and nearing 40,000 miles now!!! "I KILL BIKES" hahahha

And I promise you that you won't have a super duper high tech supercharger system that you'll rip off and throw in the bucket 2 months after you install it....

Have fun with it Mike and above all, be safe and don't blow that damn engine up! Knowing you, you're going to fry that motor no matter HOW strong it's built you ****! Doug knows each of his clients and builds the car to match how they'll drive it. I'd bet my bottom dollar that if he knew you weren't such a knucklehead you'd have nearly 1000RWHP...

OK, enuff of talking up DLM...

g'nite..

G

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol, knucklehead, havent heard that one since the 3 stooges lmao!!!! No way I can blow that motor with a 10.9 air fuel ratio, or can I lol :D

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Listen Mike -- no matter the fact that your car can be leaned out and whoop on mine, I still get to drive mine around in 80 degree weather almost year around. CALI IS DA SHIZZIT!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got your cali right here ****** lol.

Skyhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The HUGE downside of 200+ on public roads is that, if it doesn't scare the H*** out of you, it is quite addicting. This is no exaggeration. Those of you that skydive, know the feeling. You just did it, were fortunate enough to live through it, but you HAVE to do it again! Something about it has a hold of you. Did somebody say adrenaline *****? Luckily, I live in an area where sparsely populated roads are abundant, and I really don't need much time or space to do a quick runup to 200 (just under 10 seconds, and less than half a mile - courtesy of an MCX Turbo Hayabusa). Have not had my stock 2002 Viper opened up yet, so still do not know what it will do. I have noticed that on the bike, the wind rushing past your crouched body adds to the excitement, while in the Viper, the extra width, and the effort to keep it on the road is quite thrilling.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got your cali right here ****** lol.

Awww Mike... You HAD to do it.

I GOT YOUR CALI RIGHT HERE! Come and get it! You wanna bring it, bring it!

Oh yeah - If you do, I want a ride. :)

Roger Morgan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Going fast on the road is fun and the times quoted look like they are in seconds. If you would like to really go fast for extended time see www.silverstateclassic.com
and show up next month May 13-16.
Hi Speed for 90 miles with an "average" of up to 150 for stock Vipers and even more with fully prep car/cage fire system etc.
I can tell you that 170 plus for 80 miles and then slow to 120 for mountains is lots of fun. However going fast requires alot of prep to make sure you will be safe.
Like a new set of tires for every run and very carefully checking to make sure the new tires have not picked up anything befor the run. No windows makes it really loud but you get used to it after a short time.
PS if you sign up, do so with Team Viper
Usually have between 10 & 20 Vipers. If you cant make it in May there are several other events this year----No Excuse if you want to go fast Legally :usa: :2tu:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Going fast on the road is fun and the times quoted look like they are in seconds. If you would like to really go fast for extended time see www.silverstateclassic.com
and show up next month May 13-16.
Hi Speed for 90 miles with an "average" of up to 150 for stock Vipers and even more with fully prep car/cage fire system etc.
I can tell you that 170 plus for 80 miles and then slow to 120 for mountains is lots of fun. However going fast requires alot of prep to make sure you will be safe.
Like a new set of tires for every run and very carefully checking to make sure the new tires have not picked up anything befor the run. No windows makes it really loud but you get used to it after a short time.
PS if you sign up, do so with Team Viper
Usually have between 10 & 20 Vipers. If you cant make it in May there are several other events this year----No Excuse if you want to go fast

Legally :usa: :2tu:

Roger, "Legally" kind of takes the fun out of it, dont you think? LOL!

One thing you forgot to mention is the fact there is going to be a standing mile shootout before the event!