Who runs a Gen 1 without mufflers and cats?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who runs a Gen 1 without mufflers AND cats?

I am looking into this. I have a -93 with cats and straight pipe after that. (Mufflers removed)Not noisy enough. Just got the gen2 ACR headers back from HPC coatings, I must figure out the remaining plumbing.
I need to wake up more neighbours....and shooting flames night time would not hurt either! I am not too worried about the noise factor, my wife refuses to drive with me anyway (since I cannot behave with C-5's, Ricers or Diesel pick-up's either).
I do not need to talk to anybody in the car, its just me/Viper and the road!
Lauri

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago when i decide to run with no exhaust the viper seemed way to quiet. We also lost some HP. Seems that the GEN 1's like a little back pressure. I'd expermint with different set ups if i were you just to get the sound that you want. Currently running
flowmasters, & high flow cats.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Currently running flowmasters, & high flow cats.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How or better, what type of Flowmasters are you running?

Reaction score
Gen I respond better with a slight amount of cylinder pressure (without the removal of the cats and mufflers) including stock headers and stock flextubes. Hence, if you eliminate the muffler and cats the engine will suffer a decrease in horsepower. Now, when you install headers and replace the flextubes with 3" diameter tubes the engine will respond with an increase in power. The exhaust tone may be a bit intolerable so I would suggest incorporating a good free-flowing muffler to your system.

Regards,
Doug

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you eliminate flextubes and would like to use 3" exhaust, what do you use in place of flextubes? The system cannot be "solid" right? (welded)
Lauri

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
If you eliminate flextubes and would like to use 3" exhaust, what do you use in place of flextubes? The system cannot be "solid" right? (welded)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wrong! At least in my case. I did exactly what what Doug suggested. I put on the Borla Headers, but was very unhappy in the quality and flow capability of the flex pipe. So I replaced them with 3" pipe I love the sound and still waiting to get it dynoed.

Mike

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 94 with headers and pipes only.....had to keep all windows out, or all windows in.....exhaust odor was pretty bad....noise was great....flames at night scared the crap out of people, along with the sonic booms......rode in a 97 GTS a couple times this way, headers/pipes only....noise was worse that RT and the odor still was strong in the car......girls won't want to ride in it at all, unless they have grease under their nails ....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know, I never got any kind of gas smell after I took off the cats(rear exhaust), and when I drove up to Nashville for VOI-7, I had the top on, drone was not that bad IMO. As soon as I hit 2000 RPM it disappeared.

Mike

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lauri,

Are ya crazy?? Maybe just deaf (or soon will be)
smile.gif
smile.gif

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red, you want noise? I have the same setup as the Swede (hertbreak ridge, Swede?). Does it drone--yup, is it loud--yup, do I love it--- big yup. Ask around to see if someone in your area has this exhaust. There is no appreciable exhaust smell either. John

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
93RT added 3" cat back exhaust without mufflers. Sounds really nice with no noticeable loss in performance. Does not drown, just a mellow rumble in 6th gear. Have had this mod for 2 years and the wife loves it!

Car sounds like it looks! Mean.

my .02

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2 bits worth and experience:

I have a 94 RT 10, stock Arrow Rebuild with the stock exhaust but dropped the cats last year. There is no question that the side sills are substantially cooler and my feet are still warm but not to the point of being ridiculously hot where I could hardly stand it. Performance is definitely better as I’m running with and consistently pulling (slightly) on the Gen 2 cars that are slightly modified with headers and exhaust and that I wasn’t able to due before against the same cars and drivers. As far as the drone I didn’t notice anything with or with out the soft top on at least nothing that would bother my wife or I on 1000 mile trips. It is nosier but certainly not uncomfortable. As far as the smell I did notice that it might be a stronger than normal but I’m not sitting still long enough or down there with my nose to the pipes to really say that it bothers me.

This year I will be going to a muffler with a larger ID as the stock one is down to 1 7/8” give or take a bit. Maybe one of these 5”*21” mufflers that I have read about will be the answer. I don’t need the noise to attract anymore attention as that just invites tickets but I can certainly use the power.

As far as headers I’m not so sure that the gains are consistent as based on the some of the reports (Viper\Mods &amp; Upgrades Power.htm) there are Gen 1’s with similar exhaust and no headers that are running 385 to 400 hp with out headers and that is very similar as some of the Gen 1’s with headers. As well it rival’s the power of a stock Gen 2 or one that is very slightly modified.

Roller rockers may be an advantage but I have seen no real comparisons on the Gen 1 so I can’t say for sure. T&amp;D are probably the best bet (expensive) with virtually no reported problems and that cannot be said with all of the other RR out there.

Head work is another one that I would like to try but I need proof before I gamble on it as there is a lot of talk but I need hard [******] proof and a guarantee in writing from a reputable dealer before I go down this route. Less face it the Canadian Peso doesn’t go a long ways and the logistics’ and time involved in chasing this from the great white north is a pain at best and in reality would become an expensive logistical night mare that I couldn’t afford.

Tim

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, Where do you find a 5x21" muffler? I've found Dynomax 4" bullets or 6" but can't get a 5".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2004Fangs