Who said the SRT doesn't keep enough "Viper styling"?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Who said the SRT doesn\'t keep enough \"Viper styling\"?

If this doesn't shout VIPER.....

You must be registered for see images

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Who said the SRT doesn\'t keep enough \"Viper styling\"?

I was told you had a great sense of humor & they were right!
smile.gif

The new SRT looks like EVERYTHING but a Viper! That Japan Gentleman or Toyota designer, whatever he is, should be absolutely ashamed of himself! He's probably in on some sort of huge conspiracy though, make the Viper look like a Ricer so more people will buy Ricer's not Vipers!
smile.gif
I can see all the Honda S2000 guys running out to buy whatever wheels the local SRT owners put on their cars!! I can already see it!

Serioulsy Joe, the SRT is a total embarrassment!! You probably don't agree & if you did, wouldn't say so - and that's totally understandable, but it is. It's no Viper. Never will be! Just my .02

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why in the world can't I see a picture?! Netscape??

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:
Now if you could just get Dodge to do something about the back 3/4ths of the car.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Touche' Mike! The front is about the only part of the car where you can identify any similarities to the original.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The front and rear look great dead on. I like the look of the SRT coming head on. I think its the views at angles that dont look traditionally Viper. I guess I am on the fence, but the main thing to me is the sports bar. I would never have bought an RT/10 if the sports bar wasn't on the car. I am not a convertible guy, never owned one and I probably never will, except for the SRT because I have no choice of a coupe. As for that squared off gap/vent/outlet near the door... well from the side I think it looks menacing as angular as it is, kinda ugly from a rear or angular view because the hole itself is rectangular.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Thats the funny thing with the SRT, it looks good ONLY when you are looking dead on from very close to ground level. now, take the same picture 3 or four feet higher, and the car is ruined. and the rest of the car is too "blah" ... not to mention it's a TRUE convertable. is it just me, or is the TRUE Viper supposed to be a ROADSTER?

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Final GTS:
is it just me, or is the TRUE Viper supposed to be a ROADSTER?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A convertible with two seats is a roadster. The SRT-10 is a roadster. A convertible C5 is a roadster. ect....
smile.gif

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dunno the true definition of convertible, but it seems that its inherent in the word. CONVERTIBLE....converts from open top to closed top. The roadster doesnt convert, on the RT you have to attach the top which by the way was not part of the initial design, it was added later for production purposes. But come to think of it the Z3 BMW is called a roadster, but then again the MB SL is called a convertible. Honestly I thought it was the whole package no windows, no door handles, no roof that made it a roadster. Maybe if Tony finds the old thread it will clear it up.
smile.gif

Godsil Performance

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you guys think of my Photoshop job?

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RT10 Byron:
Face it. You could give some guys a gold brick and they'd complain that it was too heavy and had no handles. The new car looks great and it appears that its speed and handling will be right there with the most expensive of the supercars. All that and a real top. Tough to beat.

The only way DC could have avoided all the whining would have been if the new car looked just like the old one. But then everyone who likes the new car would have been whining. The proof of how people regard the looks of the car will be the sales numbers and it is my understanding that the first year production is sold out.

I wonder how many of the whiners will have an SRT in their driveway as soon as they can manage it. The real irony will be when a whiner pays over MSRP for his/hers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess its true. Some people do post "half cocked" before they bother to find out what's really going on by simply reading a few threads. I won't even address your Post further, simply ask you to point & click.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To me that picture does say not scream dodge viper. But when you take away the 10x10 viper logo up top, and look at it again it screams?

Hmm, Dodge Stratus convertable maybe!!!
dead.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ,

Thanks for making my point!

Ford is eagerly awaiting your deposit! They will even paint big teeth on the front of the car, and toss some open headers on it for added intimidation factor.

Thank you, drive through....

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the sadest part about this post is that you had to post it at all... I really wish would could be saying why does the new Viper looks so much like a Diablo, the new Lamborgini, a Ferrari, a McLaren, etc... Rather than saying it looks so much like a S2000 or a Vette...
dead.gif
I have seen the car in person, and as someone mentioned above, from a couple angles the car does look nice, but overall the looks are not what people are going to buy this car for. It will not be the head turner that the "old" Viper was. There wasn't even a crowd around the Viper at the car show I was at
frown.gif
I think the only head turner comming up next will be the GT40. I do like the numbers and performance on the new Viper, but the looks are not going to be a selling point.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike,

Your underhanded attempts at insults still do not change the facts, the car just does not do it for me and from reading other posts I am not alone.

Posers? Do you really think that people buy Vipers for track use? Besides the people that occasional road race them, and the few that actually compete with them, all the others are garage queens. And there is nothing wrong with having a car that you like to drive on the weekends or when the day is nice and sunny.

If we wanted a car for pure performance, then a Z06 would do the job just fine and with a much smaller price tag.

PS&gt; Mike, I race about 20 national events a year on a pro circuit. What about your self? Who is the poser now?

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I must say the first Vipers made me say I gotta have that car... but I still like the new design. If I were able to change anything about the new SRT-10 it would be to make it look more aggressive - like the Comp Coupe. I like the new side design. I also like the old side design.

In a way I think it's good that some don't care for the new look. It may keep the resale value up on the current style RT/10's and GTS's. Those that don't like the new style may be purchasing newer GTS's and RT/10's rather than brand new SRT-10's. I think we may all win with this new design. I'm sure the GTS will return - how could they not build a street version of the Comp Coupe?

I can't wait to get my BLACK SRT-10 and my BLACK Comp Coupe.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys that like the SRT have to understand the mentality of a whiner...

Think about it... if the major consideration in purchasing a Viper was to "look really cool" and pose, and never go to the track, but to drive around 500 miles a year and "look really cool" while trying to pick up 20-something year old girls who would otherwise never even give the time of day, but are intrigued by the car enough to talk to the ugly driver, etc, etc... well, can't you see why such a poser would be upset when a new car comes out that is going to make their beloved posermobile an "old" car? I mean, they can't pose nearly as well with the new car, so their whole posing scheme has just gone up in flames, along with their dreams of someday actually being able to talk to a hot girl, and their ultimate fears of the ricers not respecting the car anymore because something else is faster that they don't like... well, that's too much for ANY poser to take!

But posers! Do not fear! Ford has heard your concerns and has created the GT-40. So, for those of you that spend most of your time looking cool in your Viper, and have never taken the time to explore it's performance, you have an option! Studies predict that the GT-40 will be a good poser-mobile, as is the Ferrari 360 and Lambo Diablo.

Now, that is not to say that all Viper drivers are posers, or that all that do not like the SRT are posers, or that 360 or Lambo drivers are posers... it is only to say that anyone that has such a HUGE problem with how the SRT looks that they are gonna call it a "stratus", has another option now for their daily dose of posing excitement.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't quite understand the poser comment. Since you are a Viper owner yourself, you must care about look somewhat (don't lie)
smile.gif
. If you really cared about performance why not toss a 528 Supercharged Hemi into anything and it will beat the pants off any Viper I have seen. The new Vipers performance does not "kill" the "old" Vipers performance either. Horsepower wise 60 more horsepower (or so)?? Big deal
dead.gif
. 350 more horsepower, then I might think about getting the new Viper
bounce.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ M:
Mike,
Your underhanded attempts at insults still do not change the facts, the car just does not do it for me and from reading other posts I am not alone.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ,

No "underhanded attempts at insults" here - just stating my opinion of some of the folks that love to rag on the SRT - just like your opinion of the car is a negative one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Posers? Do you really think that people buy Vipers for track use?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think people buy Vipers for a mix of the performance and the looks. If you're more into the looks, I can see why the SRT disappoints. If you're more into the performance, I can see why the SRT delights. Which group are you in Russ?

Besides the people that occasional road race them, and the few that actually compete with them, all the others are garage queens. And there is nothing wrong with having a car that you like to drive on the weekends or when the day is nice and sunny.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, a garage queen is a car that is more often polished and waxed than driven. I put 25k on my car in 3 years, and one of those summers I was in California, and another 8 months I was out of action due to a motorcycle accident. I like to drive the car! Sure, the looks are nice, but the SRT has plenty of looks for me, and enough performance that I don't feel the need to complain about it not being aggressive enough for me. If you want a car that you can put-put around in on the weekends and look extremely cool doing so, then my previous suggestion of a GT-40, or perhaps a used F355 (same price as a Viper), or an F360, or any number of other cars from Cobra replicas, to Testarossas, etc.. whatever floats your boat. None of them will be as high-perf. as the Viper is, but if looks is what you care most about, maybe the new Viper isn't for you - plenty of other car companies will gladly take your money - look into it.

If we wanted a car for pure performance, then a Z06 would do the job just fine and with a much smaller price tag.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Z06 doesn't even match the '96 Viper in performance, and it's going to be way WAY behind the upcoming '03. Maybe you could just keep your current Viper if that is what defines a "nice car" to you? Why be upset at all if what you have makes you happy? Whats the problem?

Mike, I race about 20 national events a year on a pro circuit. What about your self? Who is the poser now?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, I am a poser. Did you race your Viper in all these events? How many miles on it? My snake has several hundred 1/4 mile passes on it, probably a hundred or more AutoX runs, many laps on a roadcourse, and I drove it to work almost every single day - rain or shine. I'm pretty sure you're still the guy wearing the poser hat!
laugh.gif

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To be fair, I think the GT-40 has better performance than the SRT. If not, it is pretty close. So with that statement said, would you rather have the car that looks nice or not? That is the way I see it. For the record I would consider myself a "garage queen", I wish I could take my Viper to the track, but I can't afford to put that many miles on my Viper - not to mention the cost of parts *OUCH*. If you can afford to trash a Viper, that must be a good feeling that I won't be able to experience. I do enjoy taking my car out on sunny weekends and "street racing" with my friends - and trying to pick up chicks
tongue.gif

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

JF,

NO ONE knows whether the GT40 will have better performance than the SRT .... because it is just a concept car at this point.

Think about it, Porsche, Ferrari, and our other competitors have been in the performance biz for decades.... and the VIPER stomps just about every model that they have! It takes more than a **** retro style to make a car fast, and we'll have to wait and see whether our 10+ year record of eXtreme performance can be tangled with.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think you are correct. The GT-40 is not a concept, Ford WILL build it (just not sure when). Here is a quote from the 2002 Car and Driver magazine on the GT-40 performance...

"And as for the ultimate performance goals? Top speed will not be a priority, but the car must be stable and comfortable at 180-plus mph. And, Coletti adds, "If this car were to show up at a stoplight against a Viper, it needs to protect its honor." 'Nuff said."

If you would like to take a look at the article here is the link...
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2002/february/200202_preview_gt40.xml?&page=2

I honestly don't think the Viper will perform better than the GT-40, however I don't think the GT-40 will be in the Vipers price range either (but they are working on it).

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score

The GT-40 you saw at the Auto Show is NOT the production vehicle, not to say that the production vehicle will be different, but there are surely lots of engineering changes that have to be worked out (like windows that have a method of opening!, a blower belt that isn't at ear level of the driver IN the cockpit area).

I guess only time will tell.
biggrin.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As you read this please keep in mind that I have a GT40 on order.

Two weeks ago at the SAE dinner in Detroit, our old buddy from Team Viper (Neil) runs into to us and tells us that he is now the lead engineer on the GT40 program. As we all made arrangements for our post diner party (at the local water hole across the parking lot) Neil graciously excepts our invitation for some suds.

During drinks there was some great banter going back and forth between the PVO guys and Neil (all in very good fun), and to some degree you could even say we picked on poor Neil a little. Anyway, Neil then clarified everything right there and then on the GT40 program. To strat with, at this time he had only been on the job for 2 weeks, which obviously does not give you the ability to build and fully design a running mule car. Next Neil tells us that EVERYTHING we have seen to date is purely SPECULATION. Here are the facts as he presented them:
1- there has been no decision on the engine, but they have a few options under consideration.
2- they have yet to fully figure out how to make this design function on the street.
3- they are still in the process of trying to get the suspension set to handle the power they are PREDICTING, and still work within the size elements they are TRYING to meet.
4- it will probable be a full year, and a few different optioned test mules before they select what package works best together.

So while you are ASSUMING that this great vehicle is already "king of the street" all you are doing is SPECULATING. Given that the person in charge of the entire program cannot yet give any concrete evidence, all you are basing your OPINION on is what the media and Ford's PR would like you to believe.

That being said, and knowing Neil, I will say that I truly hope, and have every confidence that he will put a real bad A$$ GT40 on the street. But any REAL information is at least a year away.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With all due respect, your facts are what you said some guy at dinner told you. Granted it might be true, but the fact I am presenting you was printed in Car and Driver magazine. Don't you think Ford would be pretty upset if Car and Driver misquoted them as saying something in print or if they came out with a poor performing GT-40 that couldn't hold a candle to the SRT? For Ford to make a bold statement like that, they better be prepared to back it up. Sorry to rain on your SRT parade, but the GT-40 IS going to be more car than the SRT no question (well almost no question). The only real debate is if the GT-40 can be affordable. That is the real question. For the proposed 100K sticker, I would rather buy a SRT. If they are about the same price, you would have to be nuts to want a SRT (my opinion).

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Godsil Performance:
What do you guys think of my Photoshop job?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason - I don't care for the extra grille vertical. Why don't you try something with the stupid looking side scoop? Make it look more like the current Vipers...

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The person I spoke to at dinner and then later while having drinks, is the person in CHARGE of the GT40 program. You are basing your information on a magazine that is probably 40-50% correct, and hell has even endorsed and promoted corrupt tuners! This is your supposed fact? I remember V8 Viper's, the Ford Cobra in 1986 (which became a Probe), and test drivers driving a GTS in the 1/4 mile at 12.62! Yea, those are some great facts to hang your hat on!