Why A6's instead if R6's?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With so many threads about people using A6's instead of R6's at road race tracks I'm just wondering Why? I would guess the A's would fall off performance wise much faster then the R's. Is there something I am missing? I know the A's heat up faster but do they keep their integrity? What about the wear on them?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cold Weather tracking calls for A-6 vs R-6. Cold pavement, air temps under 50f

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I will also be interested in hearing answers to your questions. Remember what happened to some of the early Comp Coupes on road courses that were "inadvertantly" supplied with Hoosier "A" series tires instead of "R" series tires ??!!!

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The people that talk about the A6's are usually using them for time trials. Typically your lap times are best in the first few laps. the A6 is stickier and will give you a better time through adhesion. The R6 is much better at a real full session of running. The A6 you are done if you don't get a good lap in before they overheat. So in other words, you want a good lap time with less that 5 laps in a session or do you want to run a full and consistent 30 minute session? A6 is great for a quick time but bad for a full session

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do the Hoosier VRL tires rank in all of this?

It would be the equivalent to the R6 but most feel the R6 is actually better. The R100 full slick is an option as well but is only available in 18's (no 19" availability in the near future)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The people that talk about the A6's are usually using them for time trials. Typically your lap times are best in the first few laps. the A6 is stickier and will give you a better time through adhesion. The R6 is much better at a real full session of running. The A6 you are done if you don't get a good lap in before they overheat. So in other words, you want a good lap time with less that 5 laps in a session or do you want to run a full and consistent 30 minute session? A6 is great for a quick time but bad for a full session

Exactly right. It makes especially good sense for time trialers who run in larger fields and can win tires. In NASA for example, if there are 5 cars in the class and you win, you get two free tires in the contingency program.

Assuming you run 335's all the way around, you just put the back two on the front, put the new ones on the back and time trail the next event and, hopefully win two more tires so you can repeat the process.

I don't know many folks who'd run them if they couldn't win tire....they are redendered useless pretty quickly. On some tracks, A6s are worth 3-4 seconds so it ends up being that the guys who buy A6s win the day, get free tires and therefore are forever 3-4 seconds faster than the guys who're still on R6s.....

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran the A6s at Willow a couple of weeks ago. I did it after doing research and talking to the experts at Hoosier. If you buy used tires out of one of the race series, you'll find there are more A6s than R6s available....That made me ponder.

After a long discussion and taking into the account of maintainence I opted for the A6s. After 7 hard sessions at Willow there is still another weekend or two of rubber left. In the interest of full disclosure this was the first time I ran a brand new race tire for an event. The car was easy to drive fast and could have been faster with better talent behind the wheel. I'm good, not great.

If you are a current track rat do what's most comfortable for you. I

f you're not, keep dreaming and wondering

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me add my 2c. There are always tradoffs in tire selection. Tracks vary, and tire selection must take that into account. As a general rule most guys are more concerned with winning than tire wear, and use one set for one race then they are scrubs because either will lose seconds per lap after a 30 min race. The characteristic of A6 tires is that they fall off in the middle of the race, then come back at the end of the race, which is when most people want the best adhesion, start and finish. The R6 falls off at the end of the race, leaving the guys with A6 in better position. Hoosier doesn't make VRL tires anymore. They were the same compound as R6 but without groove (not DOT certified) and a stiffer sidewall. R6 technology has improved and the R80 or R100 are the race slicks most guys use in VRL.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have stock but are not manufacturing anymore. You guys are both talking the same thing I believe.

Actually when I talked to them two weeks ago, they had stock of these, but said they were slower than either the R or the A 6.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't tried the 100's yet but the Porsche guys I ran with at Barber this weekend said they're faster than R6s for the first 1/2 of their life. Anyone run 100's enough to be able to substantiate?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well, I'm going to stop tracking most likely. I have mine (A6s) on a set of CCW wheels, 12" fronts, 13" rears both 18" that I'll sell for a decent price.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NARRA guys say at most tracks they are worth 2 seconds per lap. They seem to hold up well compared to the R6. I have only used one set so far so that is from conversations not personal experience. I had descent life out of mine but less than optimal as I did not realize how much lower the operating range for pressure was (i ran overinflated)