Why didn't they just chrome them....?

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why didn\'t they just chrome them....?

...the wheels, that is. What is the benefit, if any, of the polished aluminum, clearcoated?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Why didn\'t they just chrome them....?

I've also seen a lot of chromed wheels develop leaks from deteriorating chrome chipping/peeling away from the bead area.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chromed wheels are great on a show car, but they make horrible wheels for a daily/regular driver (IMHO). Every pair I owned begin to chip, flake, or pit after time. They are just not durable. And God forbid you curb them...... I think the stock wheels have 95% the shine of chrome, with great durability. Good trade-off in my opinion.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They're always covered with brake dust anyway
smile.gif

-- Ken

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

chrome plating works best on steel, aluminium I was told isn't the best material to use, to get a lasting product

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are HRE's chrome plated, and they are aluminium right?????

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have also seen quite a few 3 spoke ('95 and earlier) stock wheels chromed. They look pretty good. Corvette C5s do it all day long on a core trade-in basis. Some high end, multi-layer plating outfits do a great job. I just thought chroming might be more durable than the clearcoat. ?

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I want get a set of ACR wheels chromed, this makes me wonder. I have had a few set of wheels plated by Victoria Wheel in California, no problems. What have you guys with plated wheels think.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a set of HRE's in full chrome finish. They are very new so I can't comment on how they will hold up over time; however they look much better than the polish finish IMHO.

I have had several sets of chrome wheels over the years and I have never had any problems.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Polished wheels aren't exactly maintenance free...My car is only 6 months old and it already has the white hazing inside the large spokes.

If chrome goes bad, you re-chrome. If the polished goes bad, you re-polish. Probably at the same cost per wheel...

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdoctor:
If chrome goes bad, you re-chrome. If the polished goes bad, you re-polish. Probably at the same cost per wheel...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
not exactly, when chrome goes bad (peels, chips, bubbles,ect) it's cheaper to replace the wheel. i think the fact that the longest warranty i've seen on chrome plating of aluminum wheels is one year speaks worlds as to the anticipated (and experienced) durablity of the plating.

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i stand corrected, the warranty/precaution section is interesting reading though. but unless you happen to live in southern california rechroming is still not a practical option (unless you have a spare set of wheels, or want to leave the car on stands for a few weeks)

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wouldn't say that the warranty reading for the chrome wheels reads any differently from polished or painted wheels. Brake dust and road salt are killers for any kind of nicely finished wheel...As is improper handling...So I didn't read anything "interesting."

Also I live in Houston, but I didn't spend more than 30 minutes without wheels (mounting time at NTB). All you have to do is an exchange with the Southern California joints. And if you need to get wheels polished, you are in the exact same situation anyway (either do an exchange or wait while your wheels are polished/chromed). Every major city has local chroming places as well.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe I'm missing something? I can buy polish for 5 bucks and re-polish my Purner wheels. If chrome starts looking bad, you must re-chrome (For Viper wheels I bet $250+ per wheel, but not sure).

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had several different sets of Viper wheels over the years including polished, highly polished and chrome. Anyone who thinks poilsh and chrome look similar should look into Lasik correction.Whether you like chrome or not is a personal decision. I think chrome looks great on a dark Viper-- I had chrome Kinesis on my greenie, and it looks awesome on black-- see the recent post with the HREs 540s. But, there is a big difference. Many dealers don't know the difference and often advertise Vipers with "chrome" wheels which are really factory polished wheels.

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

onerareviper: Maybe what you are missing is a clearcoat on those Purners. You wouldn't want to use a metal polish on the painted surfaces of the stock wheels. To refinish the stock wheels, the clearcoat has to be removed then repolish and paint.

I hear that the wheel shops consider the stock Viper wheels to have a mirror finish that costs more to duplicate than your average polished wheel...Could just be another way to price gouge Viper owners...

OP
OP
C

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:
"Maybe I'm missing something? I can buy polish for 5 bucks and re-polish my Purner wheels. If chrome starts looking bad, you must re-chrome."

The problem, as I see it, is with the clearcoat on the factory wheels. You do not want to use aluminum polish on it. My question is: Is the clearcoat more durable than chrome? If the clearcoat goes bad, is it better to strip it and just start polishing the aluminum, or get the wheels chromed? (Any other alternatives?)