why does the GEN 4 standard sidepipes have no drone without H-pipe?

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As title sais, I am looking to for GEN 4 tips, so I can make a GEN 4 exhaust out of my GEN 3 assembly, but a local guy has tried this and said to have a lot of annoying drone and no more decel pops and went back to original. I looked up the artikcle numbers on both the cats and mufflers for the GEN 3 and 4 and they turn out to be exactly the same, except for the 2 letters at the end, GEN 3 have AB and AC and GEN 4 have AF and some other combinations...is there really a difference in them or does the GEN 4 have drone right out of the factory too?

I want to get rid of the H-pipe (or to be exact my extra EU spec muffler instead of the H pipe) and thought some new tips instead of the complete pipe shizzle were the beste solution without too much noise increase and with heat decrease at the back...
i happen to be that one person on earth who likes the UPS truck sound at idle and the loud UPS truck sound at WOT. I had cat back with HF cats on my previous viper and think the drone is annoying and the exhaust was too loud.

any thoughts?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Gen 4 manages some of its exhaust characteristics through the variable valve timing. That's how they managed to eliminate the crossover pipe and still meet sound regulations (at least that's what I've heard in the past). Several people have put the gen 4 setup on a gen 3 and most were pretty pleased. Factory stuff is usually less prone to drone since it's typically quieter and built a little more with comfort in mind as opposed to aftermarket systems, but everyone's tastes are different. I have a Borla catback setup on my car with the factory cats and really like the sound. From reading on here you'd think the drone would make me deaf, but I don't think it's that bad. Leaving the cats on might have something to do with that, but everyone's ear is different.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done the Gen IV switch on the Gen III I had. The drone was bad with headers and aftermarket cats. It's minimal (acceptable) with factory headers and cats. Stock mufflers in both cases. I also enjoy the Viper's unique sound, especially above 2500 rpm - nothing like it.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drone is all on the mufflers you used, I have a set of the 08/10 tips if you need them. 200.00

Crotalus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roy, If you want a decent sound,less cabin heat and no drone save the h-pipe and gut the cats. You can bypass your downstream O2 sensors with electric or mechanical sims sold by several of our advertisers. You also will gain about 20 rwhp. Your ECM will retune on its own. Front cats are the hardest to clean out but worth it.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa always is sidepipe only, they don't exist with h-pipe, same goes for all other after market mufflers. H-pipe really is stock only. i bought a used set

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa makes an excellent cat back system (track) that eliminates both the drone and the cross over.

Might be the solution you are looking for.

Completelly agree, I am using Bellanger + Corsa, no drone. Louder but no drone. Take out the X pipe, your car will run cooler with extra HP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456