Why is getting your Viper repaired always 2 steps foward and one step back?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it again...the majority of dealer techs don't give a crap and don't have any idea of what pride is or even know how to spell it. That's why I won't even buy or consider a warranty. Who needs the hassle of some idiot repairing your car when you're better off doing on your own? I thank my lucky stars that I can do most anything...

The techs that care are a MINORITY!!! I don't know of any...other than the few "conisseurs" on this BBS such as Mr. Tator...Mr. Cragin...etc...

Now...there will be follow up posts how I am an idiot and how everyone else's techs do everything perfect and how they even get a hug and a kiss goodbye when leaving the dealership.

Steve340 is the latest victim of incompetence and an uncaring attitude...Maybe these people with great dealer techs live on Fantasy Island with Tattoo and Ricardo...I sure as hell don't live in a perfect world...it only takes 1 tech to ruin your day...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve340..I know how you feel. While not to the same degree, I too had problems when I took my '96 GTS for a simple warranty repair. The car went home with more problems than it went it with. And Frank...I agree with you too. I know that the Techs on this board are exceptions to the rule...but Techs in general could care less about you or your car. And, it's not limited to Dodge dealers.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also agree with Frank regarding the absolute indifference of most techs. However, I strongly disagree with his statements about an extended warranty. I don't care how good a mechanic he professes to be, who's going to spring for the cost of a new tranny even if he can install it himself?

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its pretty much the same for every car you may have repaired. These people just don't take pride in their work and definitely don't have respect for anyone elses property.

My motto, do it myself or if I can't, have my buddy do it. I can trust him. I have been known to pay someone for something that is covered under the warranty. Parting with money is easier than dealing with this type of person. Saves me a lot of anguish.

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don,

If an extended warranty costs roughly $2,000 for 3 years or whatever, plus the deductible of a few hundred dollars, I could pull my tranny, have it repaired for $1,000 and put it in myself and not worry about it being left outside so someone can rip off my wheels and or scrathed up in a shop where no one gives a **** !
Unless you blow up a tranny I cannot see the repair being much more than a grand to open it up and fix the thing...

I'll worry about that repair when I cross that bridge...

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank.....

I, like you, own a '94 R/T and have concerns about the life expectancy of the head gaskets, given what I've read on this board. Moreover, there've been lots of posts too about Arrow rebuilds in Gen 1 engines (which are covered by warranties).

Given that my extended warranty has a $100 deductible and will not expire until 2005, I sleep much better at night with the knowledge that most high dollar repairs on my car will cost me only $100. Additionally, if I were to sell my Viper, the extended warranty would be factored into my asking price.

Since I have neither the expertise nor time to undertake a repair of any significant nature, I must continue to rely on the competence and commitment of the dealer's techs. In that area, we share mutual doubts.

Don

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking your Viper in for service is definitely one of the worst, if not the worst, things about owning a Viper. I've taken my Viper in to two 5-Star Dealers here in the Washington, DC area, and neither service department took good care of the car. I've had the roof scratched from someone (probably the Viper tech) placing a box of something on the roof and the lower side of the front fascia scraped from careless driving. Someone (again, probably the Viper tech) punctured the side of the seat, requiring a repair. On another occasion, they left the car outside for several days in the hot sun with a big glob of pterodactyl sh*t on the spoiler. The other dealership was no better. When I bought the car in for service, some idiot tried to put a plastic number with magnetic feet on the roof. They left the car outside overnight in the freezing rain, and when I went to pick the car up the next morning -- if I hadn't stopped them -- they would have had the lot boy wipe off (or chisel off) the ice. Another time when I picked the car up, there were two greasy hand prints on the front of the hood, in front of the NACA duct, where they obviously pressed to close the hood.

The others posting here are correct: most of the Dodge service departments don't care and are staffed with mechanics who don't know or care how to treat your vehicle properly. They may be able to fix the problem you took the car in for, but when you show to pick up your car, chances are pretty good they'll have scratched or damaged something else. There are a few excellent, careful technicians, many of which post here regularly, but unfortunately, those guys are few and far between.

If you can't do the work yourself, you're at the mercy of the service departments. I recommend you never leave the car overnight, unless you absolutely have to. Preferably you can schedule an appointment, bring the vehicle in and wait for it. That way you minimize the time the service department has to screw the car up.

There are a few good service departments out there, but they are definitely in the minority. In my experience, Dodge's 5-Star rating is worthless when it comes to choosing a service department. If these are the "best" when it comes to customer satisfaction, I shudder to think what the others are like.

If you are fortunate enough to find a good service department and Viper tech, let them know how much you appreciate the care they take servicing your vehicle. Get to know your Viper tech, and tip him whenever possible. He doesn't make any more money when he works on your Viper than when he works on a Neon.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank-

I will absolutely not get into a pi$$ing match with you on knowledge of cars! I am not clueless but I am not a rocket scientist either.
But on the issue of a warranty, I will be renewing mine in February. I also have a 94. Took my car in to have exhaust put on and found out that I had an irrepairable leak in my transmission, leaking head gaskets, and bent pushrods.

I received a new transmission and housing installed, new head gaskets installed, new pushrods installed, five different kind of other gaskets installed, new oil filter and oil, new transmission fluid, and (I don't exactly know what this last one was for) cylinder-clutch release!

Now, add that up and see if a warranty is worth the money!

And I totally agree with you on taking your car to places and them not giving a $hit about how they treat your car. I wish I was mechanically inclined because I've got close to a hundred horror stories on me getting screwed by mehanics/tuners. That's why I'm taking my time on deciding where my car's going to to get the headwork done!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and this warranty cost me $50 to transfer with a $50 deductible. The next warranty I'll be buying in February will cost me $1995 and will be a 4 year or 48,000 mile warranty with a $50 deductible.

In my books and for peace of mind, that's one cheap @ss warranty!!!!!!!!!!!
patriotx.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant