Why No TPMS on Stock Tires/Wheels

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me out, I have an 04 and put new tires on the car today and when I picked up the car they said there was no TPMS. The car has 12K miles and the tires were the original run flats. Any idea why it does not have the TPMS? Now the low pressure light is blinking on the display. Was this an option or standard (or did the guy take my TPMS valves)? Thanks.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like someone at some point may have removed your TPMS wheel sensors. The valve stem is part of the sensor unless there is some other stem that can be used on OE wheels to eliminate the wheel sensor. If the sensors are removed, you'd get the low pressure warning chime and dash indicator unless the control module (located in the dash) is disabled. This system, wheel sensors included, is standard equipment on new Vipers. Did you purchase this vehicle new?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me out, I have an 04 and put new tires on the car today and when I picked up the car they said there was no TPMS. The car has 12K miles and the tires were the original run flats. Any idea why it does not have the TPMS? Now the low pressure light is blinking on the display. Was this an option or standard (or did the guy take my TPMS valves)? Thanks.

TPMS was standard, and required by federal law on OE runflat-equipped autos.
Your tire vendor is clueless. Which VCA tire vendor did you use ?!?! He was uneducated, or forgot, or was too lazy to re-set them. But I bet he gave you a great deal on new valve stems !?!? Chek your receipt

After 6 years, perhaps your TMPS have dead batteries.....or your tire guy killed em. They are designed to last 8-10 years, but I have seen premature TPMS death. But 4 DONT die at once ! Batteries are NOT replaceable, you gotta buy new sensors.

Last edited:

cobramike33

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is easy to figure out. Did you have your Lo Tire light on when you took it in? If not, then they broke your TMPS and won't fess up. The stem of a TPMS sensor is for some reason more fragile than a normal valve stem and when a tech removes the valve out of the stem, they can sometimes damage the stem. It happens time to time at my shop. Luckily we are a division of a large salvage yard so we have access to replacement TPMS sensors. If you brought it to them without the lo tire light you need to raise all kind of heck with them and dont forget to mention it is a safety issue. If you brought it to them with a light on..welp those sensors are on eBay pretty cheap :cool:

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you change wheels, how much do they charge to remove the sensor from the old wheel to the new ones?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you change wheels, how much do they charge to remove the sensor from the old wheel to the new ones?

Most tire shops actually charge a $10 or so per sensor "rebuild kit" which is basically a replacement seal. They claim that once the sensor is removed and the seal is broken, the old seal may not seal properly and thus, won't hold tire pressure.

But for the most part, replacing a sensor is just like changing a threaded valve stem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_