Why not FACTORY mods?

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was shocked to find out how much hp can be gained from simple bolt on mods (1.7 rockers, headers, hi flow cats, free flow exhaust, smooth tubes, high flow filters, etc.)

It got me thinking...why doesn't the factory put these in?!? I don't get it. Is it more expensive to manufacture a 1.7 rocker arm instead of 1.6 or 1.5? Assume same material. Same work?

Smooth tubes?

Headers? I know that some aftermarket sets are different material. But given the same material, isn't it just a matter of shape?

Cat back exhaust? Probably less material than the more restrictive stock?

I assume these mods are 50 state legal (emissions) and do not effect the reliability of the drive train. So why doesn't the factory take credit for all those untapped hp resources? (& runs cooler, etc.)

Just curious.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lotsa reasons. Ultimately cost.

Many parts are common. I'm guessing the stamped stock rockers are used amongst several Dodge motors whereas the 1:7 rollers are not.

Shorty headers are much more simple and affordable to build and fit than long tubes.

Exhaust have to meet Federal noise restrictions. There probably aren't any aftermarket catbacks that meet those.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just guessing, but they may not have been "allowed" to produce a 500+ HP car because of the corporate fleet averages they are restricted to, like average MPG etc... I think a lot of people would have been a lot happier if the cars would have come with Corsa exhausts from the factory.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, I don't think there are any Federal restrictions on HP. Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) regulations have to do with fuel consumption and the gas guzzler tax we paid on our Vipers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang