Why would anyone do this?

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a new to me 1995 RT10 with 60K miles. I have had an issue that I posted earlier about rough idle which I got some great ideas from forum members but everything checked out. One major symptom was that it idled rough only after it warmed up. Yesterday I was under the car and noticed that the wires to the 02 sensors were cut off right at the 02 sensor! Why would anyone do this and why doesnt the MIL light show a fault? I checked the DIC and it shows only code 12 because I replaced the battery so the DIC seems to be working. The car runs great otherwise. Newer cars check 02 sensor activity and fault if none is seen. Does it make sense that the DIC system does not even know the 02 sensors arent even hooked up?

Normally a 02 sensor has a pig tail that connects to another connector in the cars harness...I can not find those connectors. The wires are cut off at the sensor and the pigtails removed completely. Where does the sensor normally connect to the harness?

Is there any sane reason that someone would disconnect the o2 sensors? I assume this would screw things up when the car warms up and went into closed loop operation?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible that the O2s have been relocated (to somewhere downstream on the headers?) or have you checked that?

I once bought a drag car (not a viper) that was running no cats and no O2s, front or rear and presumably through the stock ECU. Didn't run well so I reinstalled O2s and life was good.

In answer to your original question, I know you don't really need the rear O2s (they're just for emissions comparisons I think) but I don't know why anyone'd choose to run without the fronts.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe they wired in simulators somewhere else?

Just a thought.

OP
OP
O

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got race "ramps" that I can actually now get under the car and look for the other ends.

Does it make sence that the DIC system would not pickup that the sensors arent even hooked up?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got race "ramps" that I can actually now get under the car and look for the other ends.

Does it make sence that the DIC system would not pickup that the sensors arent even hooked up?

No, it doesn't. I had bad O2 sensors on my '94 and was shocked that the time period of continuous "bad" signal had to be greater than ~12 seconds before it lit the MIL. Just a few seconds now and then would not do it. It ran kind of crappy but since the yellow light didn't come on, I never looked to O2 sensors until I borrowed a professional quality scantool and saw it. Hope you fix it, have 116K on mine, average 20.7 MPG and 100 miles/day.

For free, most auto parts stores will read the codes for you. For $100 you can buy one that displays the error code in an English phrase, so you know what to look for.

OP
OP
O

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the car on race ramps tonight and I did verify that it has 02 sensors on both manifolds that are hooked up. However, what is this one shown in the picture? This is on the left side right before the flex pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only guessing here, but if I recall correctly, my front O2 sensor is on the header not on the flex connection. So, this looks like an extra sensor, maybe a wideband sensor from the previous owners setup? Only tossing out a guess.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Extra pieces maybe? When I build stuff by hand I usually have extra pieces, and vipers are made by hand. Maybe they found a place for them on the car instead of just throwing them in the trash like I do.

I work on air planes by the way. For in case you didn't have a fear of flying - now you might.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang