Why would my side sills be getting A LOT cooler???

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My side sills have always run hot until very recently. When the exhaust was stock, you could of course actually burn your bare leg getting out. After replacing the headers (Heffner), cats (RT-steel) and cat-backs (Corsa, no cross-over), the side sill temperature went WAY down, however, the sills were still hot enough to be uncomfortable against your bare leg and remained worth avoiding when existing the car. Recently, however, I’ve noticed that the sills are merely warm (as in lukewarm), and not hot at all, even after extended hard driving. It’s a HUGE difference. The car sounds and feels like it’s still running awesome, and all the gages are the same as before. So does anyone have any ideal what might have caused this dramatic change?

Admittedly the outside temperature has probably dropped 10 to 15 degrees since I last remember the side sills being really hot, but it’s certainly not cold here in VA and I just can’t imagine that a mere 10 to 15 drop in outside temperatures could make such a big difference on how hot my side sills are getting. Am I wrong on this?

Maybe I’m running leaner (did my computer make a change on its own?), or maybe my cats have slowly burned up (although there was never a period where my exhaust sounded or felt plugged). I did have my cooling fan module replaced recently, but the engine temperature didn’t change enough to register on the gages.

Any thoughts?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't running leaner (as in more oxygen, less gas) make the motor hotter? Just a guess but with a more free-flowing exhaust the computer may be dumping a higher mix of gas which in turn cools the exhaust valves.

But I'm no engineer so if I'm full of **** nevermind me.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't running leaner (as in more oxygen, less gas) make the motor hotter? Just a guess but with a more free-flowing exhaust the computer may be dumping a higher mix of gas which in turn cools the exhaust valves.

But I'm no engineer so if I'm full of **** nevermind me.
Well okay, maybe my engine is all of a sudden running richer. :smirk: Would my computer change the fuel/air mixture significatly all on its own without modifications to the car? It's been over a year since I've had any modifications done affecting airflow, and the side sill temperature has only changed noticeably in the last month or so.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed that the cockpit heat is much less now that I'm not sitting in 90+ degree, high humidity weather. I wouldn't discount the outside temperature as a possible reason for the drop.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ,
Its after hearing your sound clip that I ended up buying my RT Cats and Corsa Track exhaust!! My side sills are basically cool now when I get in and out. Even the black area around the tips I can run my finger along and not burn myself :eek: :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32