Why?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know that Viper parts are way overpriced but, Gen2 owners get screwed even more by Dodge.
look at some prices difference between a Gen2 GTS and a Gen3 Coupe;

Parts ------------------------Gen3---------------------Gen2
Steering wheel---------------509----------------------800/1000
Steering wheel nut------------1--------------------------4,5
Hood-------------------------1915------------------------14850
Door shell--------------------3250------------------------4800
Door trim--------------------1000------------------------2000
Roof panel-------------------2400-----------------------11600
front fender liner-----------484-------------------------964

At least a free tube of Vaseline should come with every GTS part.

Luc.00GTS

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why shop at the dealer when Partsrack (JonB) probably has more in inventory than the dealers :) Not to mention without the viper tax.

the dealer is always my last call.

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
of course a Gen3 hood is a lot simpler but, even with the 2 fronts fenders, the price is less than 5000.
Any reason for a gen2 steering wheel costing twice as much than a gen3? or a roof panel 5 times more?
It will seems to me that the cost to Dodge( including cost of sales,etc) is NOT the ONLY factor in pricing a part for a Gen2 ,therefore my question: Why?
If you have any ideas, I would like to hear them but, please try to stay on the subject,Ebay or any other vendors have nothing to do with a manufacturer pricing policy.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. No ebay lines.

My opinion is that they charge you that because it is an out of production vehicle and what other choices do you have?

Second opinion is are you certain that the manufacturing methods are the same for each part? Even if the part is made of the same material, they have likely improved the process. Faster and cheaper. And they don't go back and discount the old stuff.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why shop at the dealer when Partsrack (JonB) probably has more in inventory than the dealers :) Not to mention without the viper tax.

the dealer is always my last call.

Yes JonB is good BUT you might want to re-think your statement!:mad:
SOME Dealers are Viper friendly with NO Viper tax!!

V

Venomiss

OK. No ebay lines.

My opinion is that they charge you that because it is an out of production vehicle and what other choices do you have?

Second opinion is are you certain that the manufacturing methods are the same for each part? Even if the part is made of the same material, they have likely improved the process. Faster and cheaper. And they don't go back and discount the old stuff.

I agree with Dave on this one. (Did I really just write that?)
It works that way for older vehicles not just the Dodge ones either. Think about all the cars shows and all the parts needed to bring those cars back to show quality.
Hard to find or parts not made anymore in limited quantities=more$$.
So as far as needing a tube of vaseline please include some superglue for the whiners.;)

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes JonB is good BUT you might want to re-think your statement!:mad:
SOME Dealers are Viper friendly with NO Viper tax!!

Yes you are correct Chuck, i rescind my comment. I have ordered from chuck in the past and there was no viper tax :) You tend to forget about the good dealers since there are so many bad ones.