Will removing Aftermarket wing leave holes?

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick question. There as a FE GTS for sale that has an aftermarket wing on the back. If the wing were talken off, would it leave any holes on the back lid, or wherever it is secured to?

Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, they're put on with double sided tape. Just push them forward on a hot sunny day and they'll snap right loose. The tape however will "lock" when the wing is pulled back like in the wind.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the

Depends on yhe wing.. the Roe style wing i am selling leaves nothing when removed. All othrr type wings are drilled and bolted through the body.....yes that will leave a mark.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, they're put on with double sided tape. Just push them forward on a hot sunny day and they'll snap right loose. The tape however will "lock" when the wing is pulled back like in the wind.

I heard they were velcro'd on.

kneehighspy

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Quick question. There as a FE GTS for sale that has an aftermarket wing on the back. If the wing were talken off, would it leave any holes on the back lid, or wherever it is secured to?

Thanks

gotta say I'm looking at some gts final Ed. and two of them have rear wings, one has a single and the other has a double chin wing. I'm hoping to be able to pick up the single wing viper next thurs. or Friday. I'm not a fan of the wings, but the vipers are in excellent shape and I gotta have one or the other :)

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys; they tried telling me the right toggle switch down by the gear shift made a stripper pop out of the trunk…worst bachelor party ever.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Velcro is correct on the earlier inflate-a-wing, which was designed to be disposable. The problem was, what to do with the wing after you've thrown the car away. No one wanted to hang up some flimsy beach ball looking contraption on their garage trophy wall. Let alone the exposed velcro attracts all kinds of dirt and bugs.

A quick test to find out which version you have, is to take a small sharp object and poke the wing. If it doesn't start to deflate, you're good to go with the floor jack to get those zip ties undone. Just be sure and put a towel on the deck lid to keep the jack from scratching the car.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wing removal can be very easy. Using a regular hair dryer on very low wave the hair dryer back and forth slowly but in consistent circular motions at the base mounting points of the wing. The idea is to not scorch the paint but to apply just enough heat to liquefy the tar like mounting adhesive. Wear gloves, with fingers of course, and rock the wing forward and aft until it pops off the trunk. A slight cracking sound may ensue but rest assured the wing will come off.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you beat me by 21 hours :2tu:

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Velcro is correct on the earlier inflate-a-wing, which was designed to be disposable. The problem was, what to do with the wing after you've thrown the car away. No one wanted to hang up some flimsy beach ball looking contraption on their garage trophy wall. Let alone the exposed velcro attracts all kinds of dirt and bugs.

A quick test to find out which version you have, is to take a small sharp object and poke the wing. If it doesn't start to deflate, you're good to go with the floor jack to get those zip ties undone. Just be sure and put a towel on the deck lid to keep the jack from scratching the car.
Those inflate-a-wings were a joke. I'm glad their out of business. I see some guys put them on their pontoon boats after they threw away the car. They say you can hook up like 4 or 5 skiers to it.

I wouldn't worry about it. The car is fiberglass which is easy to repair.
Agreed, if the car "talks" to you... then you must buy it and make it yours! :D
Mike

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now that was really funny and required some skill! Seriously.
You will have to give the other version on the other side

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, quit messing around. We all know that it’s a suction cup mechanism with quick disconnects similar to that of Predator's shoulder gun and face mask. You need to use caution because it's under about 35 psi holding it to the car.

Now this isn't just normal air being utilized as the stasis medium; it's super cooled methane (fart air) and you can get fined substantially for releasing it to atmosphere. You'll find a schrader valve and a pressure regulator just aft of the blinker fluid reservoir under the spare tire in the trunk. Bleed off the pressure of the methane until the pressure regulator reads about 8 psi. I cup the gas with my hands and throw it in a plastic Ziploc…it’s because I don’t want to get fined. Once you've bled the pressure down, falcon punch the Viper emblem on the front of the car repeatedly until the wing pops off. Easy peasy, Japanesey.