Will the throttle response be improved?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been numerous threads on the issue with respect to the Gen IV's, and it would be nice to know if this issued has been addressed on the Gen V's. Has there been any mention of this so far?

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every generation Viper has throttle issues - my 98 feels like pushing the accelerator into a bowl of creamed corn!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let you know when I get out of one at VOI.

I believe one of two things will happen after VOI; I'll either be doing a few mods to my gen4 I've been waiting to do, or, I'll be putting it the classifieds to make room for the 5. Assuming we ever find out what they'll cost of course.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two more thoughts.....Jason ran 10.90's in the quarter mile with it and we all know about the Ring...bone stock.

Bill

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every generation Viper has throttle issues - my 98 feels like pushing the accelerator into a bowl of creamed corn!

I thought the opposite. I feel my 98' has the best throttle response of any car I've ever driven. It's improved over the GEN1 and definitely better than any drive-by-wire GEN4.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that with the rear gear change, it'll feel more responsive to some degree. -I agree though that the Dodge drive by wire stuff ain't spectacular. ....Have an 09 SRT8 Challenger, and you can tell that the computer controls the throttle plate in that as well. It seems that the other manufacturers have it a little more dialed in concerning throttle response.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the opposite. I feel my 98' has the best throttle response of any car I've ever driven. It's improved over the GEN1 and definitely better than any drive-by-wire GEN4.

Agree. My 97 and 98 both had instantaneous response.
I was shocked at the numb-ness of the Gen 4.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree +2. My Gen III has instantaneous response (a la carb style), both at WOT and part-throttle. I have to "roll" into the throttle for 2nd gear pulls at 60mph, otherwise I do spin the tires. I recall Dan Lesser explaining once how there is some PE delay timer that intentionally lags throttle by something like 1.5 seconds at WOT. I believe this is only true for '04+ cars. Mine is an '03 which I why I guess I can't identify the aforementioned lag.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. :dunno:

Never the less, there are several items in the announcements to make one feel that the answer is yes. Reduced weight of several of the reciprocating engine components. Reduce weight of the fly wheel. Change in the throttle (two rather than one ?). Comment by the engine engineer that this engine will wind up quicker. The rear gear ratio change will make the car more responsive. :2tu:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, quite literally, they have to rewrite ONE single table in order to fix this problem... its all in the coding, and has zero to do with hardware. It is not a delay, it is a gain rate issue between the ratio of pedal:throttle. Whether they will fix it or not remains to be seen... but I would hope EVERY SRT product has this addressed. The SRT's should not have the same pedal gain rate as the regular cars!

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the recent "first" drives by the automobile rags it is. With the lighter flywheel contributing to the quicker throttle response.

copperhead007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, quite literally, they have to rewrite ONE single table in order to fix this problem... its all in the coding, and has zero to do with hardware. It is not a delay, it is a gain rate issue between the ratio of pedal:throttle. Whether they will fix it or not remains to be seen... but I would hope EVERY SRT product has this addressed. The SRT's should not have the same pedal gain rate as the regular cars!

Sounds like with any delay it would adversley affect instant Torque feel of the car but not necessarily a dyno #?

This is an informative subject to optimize Vipers ******** performance drivebility. Im sure some instances are worse than others.

What year Viper PCM code is impacted?

Does this affect part throttle as well?

Is there a fix?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like with any delay it would adversley affect instant Torque feel of the car but not necessarily a dyno #?

This is an informative subject to optimize Vipers ******** performance drivebility. Im sure some instances are worse than others.

What year Viper PCM code is impacted?

Does this affect part throttle as well?

Is there a fix?

Correct. Will affect throttle blipping for downshifting, and instant pedal response. Will not affect dyno numbers.

All 2008-2010 cars are currently affected.

Yes, it affects the entire throttle range, but moreso at light throttle.

There is not currently a real fix. The code must be changed at its base level, which we dont have access to. Any attempt to alter the hardware or replace the hardware will render the system inoperable. Replacement of the ECU with a standalone will fix the issue, as well as gain a multitude of other features, but at a hefty price.

copperhead007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. Will affect throttle blipping for downshifting, and instant pedal response. Will not affect dyno numbers.

All 2008-2010 cars are currently affected.

Yes, it affects the entire throttle range, but moreso at light throttle.

There is not currently a real fix. The code must be changed at its base level, which we dont have access to. Any attempt to alter the hardware or replace the hardware will render the system inoperable. Replacement of the ECU with a standalone will fix the issue, as well as gain a multitude of other features, but at a hefty price.

Is this delayed throttle response due to PCM in the least bit inherent in any gen3 years?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456