Will the US Max Care Warranty stay with a car imported to Canada?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think there was a thread about this a while back but I can't find it. The local dealers are implying no transferance which is kind of scabby since GM goes across the border. I thought someone said yes, but you had to pay and submit to Chrysler USA or some such.
What about trucking the car back across the border for major work. Would they try and void it for being a non resident? Anyone?

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That must have been me.
I bought a US car with the MaxCare warranty and importet it to Canada. When I finally needed the warranty I was told I couldn't use it, because it was a US car. That is ********! Just make sure you are no more than the second owner of the car, since the warranty can only be transferred once. If succesfully transferred there is no problem using the warranty in Canada. There is just one anoying thing.. Chrysler, Canada and Chrysler, US doesn't work too well together. So when you get your car repaired you have to pay the bill yourself and there after mail it to Chrysler in the US to recieve the refund. This really ***** since it takes a lot of time and you have to actually pay the money to the dealer.
Besides that.. no problems! I have used the warranty a couple of times and got my money back each time.
Good luck!
Erik

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Erik. Good to know. I had thought it could be transferred to a third owner(so twice in all).

So you are saying you took it to a Canadian Chrysler dealer and recd 100% reimbursement of their bill?

Where did you get the contact info for Chrysler USA?

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mailing adress for Chrysler is written on your warranty contract including what info you need to send.

I couldn't get 100% of the bills refunded since it is only those parts that are actually covered by the warranty you can get refunded. When getting your car repaired make sure you ask what is covered by warranty. But if in doubt just send the workorder to Chrysler and see if they refund the money. But labour and the parts mentioned on the warranty IS refundable!

Hope it helps..
Erik

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again Erik.
The fellow from my local Dodge Dealer did some further checking and not only will Chrysler Canada not recognize warranty on a US car, they will not sell an extended warranty in Canada of any kind, for a car produced for the US market. Trying to discourage vehicles from being sold across the border I guess.
GM Canada, I think, will not offer warranty on a US car for the first year of production, so like a US Vette brought to Canada has to be a year old and then warranty starts. I read something like that on the Z06 board because people were already talking about bringing the C6z north.
Not sure about Ford, but since they have nothing I want it doesn't matter:)
From a Canadian importer's perspective then, unless it is a one owner car, the warranty has zero value. May as well buy an off warranty car and put the price difference in the bank.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is interesting why Chrysler doesn't support their costumers as much as GM does on this perspective. One of my friends imported a US 2001 Z06 to Canada 1.5 year ago without any problems getting an extended warranty!! How come Chrysler doesn't allow the same?
That sux!