Winter 2008 Viper Magazine

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nicely done for this quarter....articles on the Voodoo Viper Bike (with a nice model, no doubt,) HRE wheels, Vipers at Lemans, the new ACR, and more. Why on earth would the publishers choose to print the (now very old) story of the Plainfield, Ill Police Department's seized "D.A.R.E. Viper?" How a Viper with a jacked up paint job can decrease drug use is beyond me.

DrDJ

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And nothing like a timely sidebar article about the upstanding Hogan family.

V

Venomiss

I take it you guys got your magazines?;) I am passing this thread along to JRT-they make the decisions on what goes into Viper Magazine. Also mentioned the long thread about the Plainfield Viper from back when the article was written.

Just got ours in the mail today.
For those that don't receive theirs in the next few weeks please call 1-800-998-1110 and ask for Beth or Kim.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if they were going to take that viper anyway, they should have auctioned it off and used the money for the county, imo.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper magazine has improved greatly over time. It used to feature more non-Viper related articles than Viper articles! I would've liked to have seen the article a GA-VCA wrote in the magazine, but getting stuff published in Viper Magazine must be pretty hard. At least he didn't get bumped for some piece on how to get more HP out of your base Neon, like the old days featured :D

V

Venomiss

I have not recieved mine yet but I only joined about a month ago.
If you don't receive your magazine in about a week or so I would give them a call-don't wait. They can tell you when your badges should be there if you haven't received them either.

V

Venomiss

Viper magazine has improved greatly over time. It used to feature more non-Viper related articles than Viper articles! I would've liked to have seen the article a GA-VCA wrote in the magazine, but getting stuff published in Viper Magazine must be pretty hard. At least he didn't get bumped for some piece on how to get more HP out of your base Neon, like the old days featured :D

Maybe they will use it for another upcoming issue?

Motorhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm very disapointed that Viper magazine did not do a separate article on the VCA/IRL event at Belle Isle last September.

As Mike Accavitti's article mentioned, there were plenty of great Vipers there, exciting track time and even the Saleen tour. Not to mention a great race weekend in the Motor City!!

I know Viper magazine was there covering the event and plenty of photo's were taken. Can anyone explain why this event wasn't covered?

Last edited:

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wooo wooo - got my Viper Mag earlier this week. I had set it aside, saving it for the flight to the Detroit Dream Weekend.

My wife, who cares nothing about cars, surprised me tonight and told me she had read it cover to cover today. And then she told me to look on page 50. Wow! That's my car sitting with the Bugatti and the F-18. What a surprise!

Stay tuned, maybe "Fly Navy" will make the Fall issue as well. Stealing the idea from a prior Viper Mag issue where it was Viper vs USAF F-16, I'm working on setting up a race with Fly Navy vs a USN Blue Angel F-18 sometime this summer. We might even have an '08 ACR participate, assuming a certain VA/MD region President takes delivery of his new ride.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say, much as I love the VCA, the magazine is mostly fluff. The DARE car article is a case in point. All the stimulating discussion that took place here -- civil liberties, the role of the police in protection and prevention, the success of the DARE program, the concepts of unreasonable search and seizure, the incentive for law enforcement to prosecute when high-stakes seizures are on the line -- all got distilled down to a word-for-word reproduction of the original article from the Plainfield paper. I guess we can add plagiarism to the discussion now.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I just have to say that from the perspective of someone that does'nt live in Illinois, or read the plainfield paper, I enjoyed the DARE article. I just don't understand the criticism the magazine gets about one thing or the other every time an issue comes out. As far as I know, it is the best example of a club magazine I have ever experienced. We should be happy and thankful. Just my $.02

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I just have to say that from the perspective of someone that does'nt live in Illinois, or read the plainfield paper, I enjoyed the DARE article. I just don't understand the criticism the magazine gets about one thing or the other every time an issue comes out. As far as I know, it is the best example of a club magazine I have ever experienced. We should be happy and thankful. Just my $.02

I don't think you need to live in Illinois to understand the issue with the DARE car. I think you need to live in the United States of America.

Just my .02.

:mad:

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think you need to live in Illinois to understand the issue with the DARE car. I think you need to live in the United States of America.

Just my .02.

:mad:

I haven't read that article yet. I was aware of the DARE Viper only because a pic appeared on the back page of AutoWeek. Sounds like a great topic for Viper Mag to cover and I look forward to reading it.

If your argument is a political one because you think cops/judges are wrong to confiscate vehicles, I wouldn't fault Viper Mag. I think it is a great magazine and have no expectation that I will find every story to perfectly fit my interests or political views.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to catch up on this issue before posting then. There's a long thread on the subject. I don't expect Viper magazine to fit my political views or anyone else's. My comment was that this was a fluff piece in comparison to the commentary here and the obvious underlying issues. Do you even know why this car was confiscated? Get back to us when you've caught up.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll reserve any debate on the politics until after I've read the article. I suspect the article will aggravate my Libertarian views, but Viper Mag didn't confiscate the car.

I may hate that article, but what I object to is your blanket assertion that the magazine is "mostly fluff". I expect there to be a wide range of articles in Viper Mag, some of which I will think of as fluff. The mag needs to appeal to the many varied interests of it's audience. I'm pleased with the issues I've seen and look forward to the next one.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The magazine was not at all bad but I agree the DARE article could have been tossed....after all the discussion on this forum about that situation, having it in the magazine was in poor taste. The Hulk Hogan article also was inappropiate after the accident his son was in and was also documented on this site.

P.S. I did like the ACR article and liked that all black testing ACR....drool.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those Viper Days pictures from MAM were really amazing. There was even a cute 16 year old girl there racing with the Vipers.
Tim G

Tracy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess we can add plagiarism to the discussion now.

That's what I was thinking when I read the article in the magazine. It really was almost word for word. I like the magazine but instead of a copy of the original article it would have been much more interesting to include the banter from this site about the seizure of the Viper.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking when I read the article in the magazine. It really was almost word for word. I like the magazine but instead of a copy of the original article it would have been much more interesting to include the banter from this site about the seizure of the Viper.

I really like that idea! A "Whats happening on VCA.org" type article would be neat.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the article chronicling the ORECA Viper success was cool.

Re substance of the magazines, I think there are tons of great local stories/events that people would rather read about than Hulk Hogan - they just have to get them to the VM folks. In my experience, VM almost always uses the material people send them. If the regions would assign someone to send in an article each quarter, we'd all enjoy the magazine better.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........Stay tuned, maybe "Fly Navy" will make the Fall issue as well. Stealing the idea from a prior Viper Mag issue where it was Viper vs USAF F-16, I'm working on setting up a race with Fly Navy vs a USN Blue Angel F-18 sometime this summer. We might even have an '08 ACR participate, assuming a certain VA/MD region President takes delivery of his new ride........

Been There.... done that.......

STU BARR in the Pac-NW Viper Club (before VCA!) raced a BLUE ANGEL jet in Eugene OR in 1993.............. an impromptu event during a practice day.

Indirectly, that led to Ripley's Believe It Or Not asking for, and getting the Team Viper vs F-16 Race coverage March 2002...... To date, that bi-annual SRT-VCA event has raised almost $80,000 for USAF charities !