Winter storage QUESTIONS????

Rocketman66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, here in the true North, unfortunately there comes a time that my asp needs to hibernate. This is my first year in cold storage. I am taking the tires off and storing them in the house. What do I keep the suspension raised on? Are there any other storage tips? What should I be doing? All info is much appreciated. (EH!)

Rocketman - 96 Rt/10 (white/blue stripes)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some Sta-Bil in the tank, fill it up and let it run to get the Sta-Bil throughout the system.

Put you car on a Battery Tender (pull the battery out if you can and place it on a couple of pieces of 2x4

I wouldn't let the suspension "hang"

Throw a bag of marine grade moisture absorbtion material in the inside

Cover the car

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some Sta-Bil in the tank, fill it up and let it run to get the Sta-Bil throughout the system.

Don't use that crap unless you want orange spots on the back of your car. I used some the first year I stored my car and thats what I ended up with on the white stripes just above the exhaust. Never used it again and no more spots. Besides, the gas doesn't go bad in 6 months anyway.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put mine away last Sunday and wouldent you know it on the way to the shop I got cought in a rain storm. The first rain I drove my Viper in. It is a mess and this Sunday I will go and spend the day cleaning her up. bummer.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper too will be largely parked soon. Well, as soon as theroad cinders hit.

Besides cleaning the car well, basically a good detail..I fill the gas tank, change the oil and put a few extra pounds in each tire. After hooking up a battery tender, I'm done. I'll start the car every 6 or 8 weeks and let it get to operating temp..even move it if possible to recover all the gears with oil.

Mine seems to spend half of it's winter storage time in the "Haulmark Hilton" and the rest in the garage as I always have winter projects for my '72.

I remember reading some time ago that removing modern tires is a waste of time. Apparently it was the older bias plys that would develop flat spots after sitting a long time. Also, having the tires removed and palcing the car on stands is now placing weight were the car was not designed to have it for a long time. If you wanted to remove the tires,instead of stands, I would consider a set of space savers. It is my thinking that the car's weight is best supported by the suspension.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The joys of living in the south :D They consider it winter here when the temp. drops to 40 degrees :eek:

I'll drive mine all year round

Bill
(sorry couldn't resist rubbing it in)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Put your Viper on stands...

2. Remove the wheels and tires...

3. Just let the suspension hang...without the wheels and tires, there's really no weight to speak of...

4. Screw stabile...the gas will be fine come winter...fill the tank...

5. Battery Tender (The name brand)...don't be anal, just leave it on there...it ain't gonna hurt anything

6. Bounce fabric softener in the car...(and in the trunk of the RT)...keeps the rodents away...old hot rod trick...and it smells good to us humans

7. Be sure your anti-freeze mixture will handle the extreme low temps...test it...

8. Try to place a huge piece of carpet under the car...

9. Now it's mod time...Install a power adder of some type...while it's on stands...Like nitrous!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never put anything into the fuel tank, why?

Oil change is a good idea. Higher pressure in the tires too.

Put the car in a cover, like PermaBag, hook up a battery tender, open the window one inch and move the car every month a few feet back and forth (tires) ...that´s all.

Once during winter months I replace the drying cylinders in the PermaBag to keep the inside dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte