Winterizing in Arizona

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all this talk of snow and winterizing, I decided I should probably get my car ready for winter. With temperatures recently dropping into the blustery 80 degree range there's no time to waste. Before you know it, we'll be down in the 70s.

With the help of the search button, I learned how to change all the fluids in my car, so I changed the oil, power steering fluid, clutch master, and brake fluid. Still need to tackle the rear end and transmission but I'm going to go to a buddy's place to use his lift for those. The coolant was changed a couple months ago when the thermostat and water pump were replaced. Topped it off with a full tank of gas too.

Next step... a good detail job. Stripped off all the Zaino, then buffed the entire car with a rotary buffer and 3M Finesse-it 3000 Swirl Mark remover. Followed that with a complete buff with a Porter Cable 7424 and Meguiars #83. Topped it off with 1 machine coat and 2 hand coats of Meguiars NXT.

Detailed the engine including polishing the polished strips on top of the heads and the logos on the valve covers following the directions found on this site. Detailed the interior with a steam cleaner on the carpets and a good coat of Zaino Leather in a Bottle on the seats and all the vinyl.

That's pretty much all that's needed for an Arizona winterization. Once the daytime temps drop low enough that I don't need the AC anymore, I'll take off the top and the windows.

Drove it out to the lake for a little waterskiing. Brrr, the water is down to 74 degrees. :D

IMG_6487a.jpg

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the story! Often, us southern guys are forgotten when it comes to stories on how to winterize. Maybe we can get AB to do a detailed illustration on how to install the hardtop since its been low 60's here in GA at nighttime recently! Now, where's my jacket??

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, they are awful quiet on those 120 degree days when they can only cruise at night...:rolaugh:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While our cars are tucked away in the northland, I write this from Green Valley, AZ where it may not get past 76 or so today. We will put up with this type of weather for another 2 weeks between here and southern, Ca. It's a tough sled, but we'll make it through OK

A quick weather check at home shows 23F

Steve

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, they are awful quiet on those 120 degree days when they can only cruise at night...:rolaugh:

Hmmmm... Let's see...
Either
Turn on Air Conditioner
---OR---
Shovel out or snow blow out driveway
Scrape ice from windows
Install snow chains
Wait for car to warm up
Put on 4 layers of clothing

OK, I still can't remember why I've lost the desire to ever return to the great white north.

I'll keep thinking...

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With all this talk of snow and winterizing, I decided I should probably get my car ready for winter. With temperatures recently dropping into the blustery 80 degree range there's no time to waste. Before you know it, we'll be down in the 70s.

With the help of the search button, I learned how to change all the fluids in my car, so I changed the oil, power steering fluid, clutch master, and brake fluid. Still need to tackle the rear end and transmission but I'm going to go to a buddy's place to use his lift for those. The coolant was changed a couple months ago when the thermostat and water pump were replaced. Topped it off with a full tank of gas too.

Next step... a good detail job. Stripped off all the Zaino, then buffed the entire car with a rotary buffer and 3M Finesse-it 3000 Swirl Mark remover. Followed that with a complete buff with a Porter Cable 7424 and Meguiars #83. Topped it off with 1 machine coat and 2 hand coats of Meguiars NXT.

Detailed the engine including polishing the polished strips on top of the heads and the logos on the valve covers following the directions found on this site. Detailed the interior with a steam cleaner on the carpets and a good coat of Zaino Leather in a Bottle on the seats and all the vinyl.

That's pretty much all that's needed for an Arizona winterization. Once the daytime temps drop low enough that I don't need the AC anymore, I'll take off the top and the windows.

Drove it out to the lake for a little waterskiing. Brrr, the water is down to 74 degrees. :D

IMG_6487a.jpg

May the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits....

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a mean dust storm coming your way on your nicely new waxed car!!

12 degrees overnight in Montreal and storing the car this weekend. Aarrgh.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone in the NE or Canada wants to sample SW summer heat let me know and I will get out my torch.Yeah hot but its dry heat. GTS Bruce

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you forgot to mention that it rained here yesterday for the first time since september:rolaugh:

Hey all you AZ guys we are having a Viper truck GTG on the 20th of January at firebird:2tu:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone in the NE or Canada wants to sample SW summer heat let me know and I will get out my torch.Yeah hot but its dry heat. GTS Bruce

Sure is tough shoveling all this heat:lmao:

Just move from Long Island in March...one of the best thing I ever did:eater:

OP
OP
F

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny thing about the heat though, I was born and raised here, and with the exception of a couple years of college in a cold environment, and a year I spent in Columbus Ohio one winter weekend :D , I've become accustomed to the heat, just as many of you are unaffected by the cold. I put on a jacket when it dips below 70. When its 110 to 120 around here, I'm comfortable. I spend most of my work week outdoors in the summer right there where the picture of my car was taken, and the heat doesn't bother me. The good part about that acclimation is that I drive my car year 'round, with the exception of the days that it rains, that's about 7 days a year around here.

Burntrubber, I actually was out on my motorcycle the other day when it rained a little bit. Haven't had the thing out in months and it seemed like the perfect day for a ride. I think I might have caused that storm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave