Wiring Harness project (lots of pics)

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Reed and I have been kicking around the idea of ding a milspec type harness for my car for awhile. A month or so ago I decided to make some wholesale changes to the car, opted to do the wiring at that time as well.

Here is the progress (or not) so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

this is a front shot of the engine bay. The radiator, IC & associated piping was out unrelated to wiring. this is what the engine bay looks like sans wiring

Shot of the portion of the engine bay where the fuse box was. Two Motec PDM's take the place of the fuse box

Here's a shot of the dash stripped of well, everything, including wiring.

Shot of the door stripped

This is the pile of wires that result in stripping nearly every harness out of the car!!

Side by side shot of the snarl that came out of the the car and the "flying lead" harness John Reed sent me.

Here's a close up of the to be installed stuff. The two black boxes are the PDM's

Lastly here's a shot of the pin out spreadsheet for the new harness. It's like being in school.

Next step is to put the engine bay back together so i can run the harness from the Motec ecu, then each lead to its appropriate sensor, then put on connectors.

I've got to get in gear, this car is going to the TX Mile on the 22nd!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LOL, looks a lot like the story of my life lately. The damn thing made it all the way into the Dining Room. LOL!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

PS- From the picture, it looks like your MOTEC is held down by Double Sided Tape or SuperLock? If it is, and you are interested, our machine shop has been whipping up some NICE aluminum brackets for us. They rivet to the toe box, and then lock the controller into them with screw-down clamps. They help with heat dissipation, look nice, and would make stealing the ECU a ***** if someone had the balls to try. I can snap a pic later if you want... putting one on today actually.

Also let me know if you need any MIL spec, heat shrink, abrasion protector, heat shielding or wrap tape, autosport boots, etc... I have waaaaaay more left than I am going to use anytime soon.

Attachments

• 13437_759395433458_15717624_41936867_687834_n.jpg
    13437_759395433458_15717624_41936867_687834_n.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 387
  • 39699_775491516778_15717624_42537845_3714221_n.jpg
    39699_775491516778_15717624_42537845_3714221_n.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 389
  • 60330_795014258048_15717624_43177698_3650824_n.jpg
    60330_795014258048_15717624_43177698_3650824_n.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan

I may take you up on the accessory stuff, just don't know yet.
I've got a big piece of plywood in my garage that looks suspiciously like that one you have!!
Post a pic of the mount, I like it just b/c of the security reason.

Is that a factory loom, modified?

Frank

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok enlighten me..... WHY???

Why not? j/k

In my case, primarily weight, secondarily to clean up the snarl of wiring underhood and underdash. I have a lot of aftermarket wiring, the motec ecu, water ****, defi gauges, motec wheel speed sensors, a number of motec engine sensors and a Motec SDL dash, wiring for the triple fuel pumps. I don't need the stock harnesses or PCM. The stock wiring is heavy, I wont be reusing any of it. Using a l/w wire, i forget which, maybe spec 55

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan

I may take you up on the accessory stuff, just don't know yet.
I've got a big piece of plywood in my garage that looks suspiciously like that one you have!!

Is that a factory loom, modified?

Frank

-Sure thing, just let me know what you need, and I will let you know if I can spare it.

-I will post a pic of the mount later tonight once I get it all set up.

-The loom is part factory, and part MIL. It is a combination Gen-4 Engine to Pectel Autosport and Gen-3 JTEC harness, and built to look as close to an OEM harness as possible, down to the tape used.

The Gen-4 harness has all of the unneeded items removed & new sensor wiring added, terminated to a new C104 connector & new JTEC connectors. All of the Pectel control items are then spliced from OE to MIL where needed, and critical components are replaced entirely with Shielded MIL. All cabin/communication/critical digital sensor wiring is shielded and/or twisted MIL. The advantage of less mid-harness splicing by going full MIL was offset in this case by having every single OE termination being pre-crimped, and not being able to find most of the pins in raw form, so they would need to be end-spliced anyway. Not to mention the large number of "gauge jumps" that would make running 22 gauge MIL a major PITA, since most of the OE's were not designed to run anything smaller than 18, and the Autosports cannot run anything larger than a 22 on sensors- splicing solved that issue. Basically a "why rob Peter to pay Paul" scenario.

Last edited:

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:omg:Weight i dont get cleaning up i do. Good luck to you both.
It should be a clean wire setup... but looks like a lot of work.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not? j/k

In my case, primarily weight, secondarily to clean up the snarl of wiring underhood and underdash. I have a lot of aftermarket wiring, the motec ecu, water ****, defi gauges, motec wheel speed sensors, a number of motec engine sensors and a Motec SDL dash, wiring for the triple fuel pumps. I don't need the stock harnesses or PCM. The stock wiring is heavy, I wont be reusing any of it. Using a l/w wire, i forget which, maybe spec 55

I got ya. It certainly will look cleaner. Thanks for the clarification.
Sal

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got more balls than I do. If I ever pulled all that wiring out of mine, it would never run again!

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:Weight i dont get cleaning up i do. Good luck to you both.
It should be a clean wire setup... but looks like a lot of work.

i haven't weighed the wiring yet, but there's got to be somewhere around 20lbs to save. I've pulled most other possible weight, down to the wiring & titanium bolts, inconel headers, and carbon ceramic rotors.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan

Hi Frank,

Here you go! Obviously, this is a Pectel SQ6M12 mount, but the MoTeC would be very similar. If you run expander boxes or anything of the sort, I can possibly integrate them into one plate- just need the dimensions, or to borrow the boxes for a couple days.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 62836_797394243538_15717624_43232372_8288398_n.jpg
    62836_797394243538_15717624_43232372_8288398_n.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 33660_797394313398_15717624_43232374_5440194_n.jpg
    33660_797394313398_15717624_43232374_5440194_n.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 353
OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Frank,

Here you go! Obviously, this is a Pectel SQ6M12 mount, but the MoTeC would be very similar. If you run expander boxes or anything of the sort, I can possibly integrate them into one plate- just need the dimensions, or to borrow the boxes for a couple days.

attachment.php

attachment.php

dan
Looks great!! I am running two ignition expanders, i'll send you the dimensions. Put me down for one of these

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Frank,

Please shoot me over a PM or E-mail with pictures of how you would like the boxes located on the Toe Box plate, detailed pictures of all sides of the boxes, and I will need all of the dimensions, including connector locations, any screw "bump outs", etc.

Please note, that going by dimensions, I cannot take responsibility for non-fitment, as I cannot mock anything up or double check clearances. If I have the boxes in hand, I will take responsibility for the fitment of course. If you opt to go that route, it will take about 2 days to get them back to you, unless you would prefer I hang onto them until your plate is cut, check fitment after production [always a good idea] and then send the boxes back while your plate is being Anodized.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, your car never ceases to amaze. Wish I could make it to the mile this year to see you run.

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got around to weighing the wiring that has come out of the car

there's one harness left in the car, should be out tonight.

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The steps i've taken so far:

I tabbed all of the sensors, etc that I'll be running leads to with blue tape.

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next Step is to connect the flying lead loom to the Motec and start running wires according to the spreadsheet John Reed sent:

tonight I should have all the wires separated & run, then i can choose the specific final routing for each wire & begin the final loom

OP
OP
R

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what ever happened with your wiring project?

When I had the alternator fitment issue and realized I wasn't making oct. tx mile, i stopped work for 3 weeks or so, other priorities. I'm back on the car as of this week, was just about to post some pics!!
Was thinking of you as i looked at the M800 box, gotta get that mount from you.
The main harness is cut and ready t be shrink wrapped, then connectors. Seems like I was braiding wires for hours!!! After that, the body harnesses get wired to the pdm's, then off to the balance of the projects on the car.
how's your wiring project?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When I had the alternator fitment issue and realized I wasn't making oct. tx mile, i stopped work for 3 weeks or so, other priorities. I'm back on the car as of this week, was just about to post some pics!!
Was thinking of you as i looked at the M800 box, gotta get that mount from you.
The main harness is cut and ready t be shrink wrapped, then connectors. Seems like I was braiding wires for hours!!! After that, the body harnesses get wired to the pdm's, then off to the balance of the projects on the car.
how's your wiring project?

I hear you, wiring projects have a way of taking 97 times longer than expected.

My project was basically all but done when I posted on here. It is fitted on the car, everything checks out, etc... but there isnt an engine to connect the other side to yet.... I hate when that happens! haha

V

Venomiss

Thank you for posting these pictures. More when you get time please.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd much rather go on a diet to reduce the weight of the car and driver by 20 pounds than pull all that wiring out. I am sure if i tried that the car would never run again!:dunno:
PAvenomRT/10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper