Wits end - The Legend of the Bucking Viper lives on....

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Okay I've checked and verified the tightness of the wheel hubs.
I've thoroughly inspected every single bolt on the suspension.
The U-Joints on both the driveshaft and half shafts are solid.
The clutch still has life in it.

Mistress still bucks wildly at "parking lot" speeds and its progressively getting worse - its so bad now that I can feel it starting in 5th gear. I went through the old threads and have found dozens referring to the above-mentioned problems. I also had a friend tell me once that the throttle cables needed to be adjusted on the Gen1s which solved the problem though I couldn't find anything about the Gen2s.

What am I missing???

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your throttle bodies need to be synched up, IMO.

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
How does one go about synching the bodies? Is it something I can do here at home?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOLY [******], adjust your freaking throttle bodies!!! How long have you been around vipers?Kind of like going to the doctors office with bad breath and not knowing what to buy to cure it.

Bonk, I always give you the benefit of the doubt, but this one takes the cake.

Adjust your freaking throttle bodies. it's a little different than a genI but look at the setup. If you can figure out how to use a doorknob you'll be able to figure this out.. LOL!!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers -
Is it REALLY BAD at low speeds and then gets progressively better at higher RPMS? Do you try to "steady" the throttle and hope it's better? Does it get worse as the car warms up?

That's what mine did. If you have that dot of paint on your throttle cable where it meets the actuator, then it's NOT your throttle bodies needing synching.

I needed an adidtional ground for the TPS - it was bouncing between 0% and 90% confusing the heck out of the computer. Have your tech put the DRB on the car and see what it's seeing. Then, add a temp bround and see if it gets better.

Apparently this is not uncommon, as these cars age and the grounds get weak - esp. in a car with no metal body panels.

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Gerald - if you're referring to the screwing technique then we are not thinking of the same thing - I've already tried that - I was thinking of the wires attached to the TBs, or possibly something else I've not heard of.

Janni - Once I get the car back on the road I'll have Jason look it over again. I unplugged/replugged the connector to the TBs and the problem went away (although briefly,) but the motor heated up so bad it worries me now.

This has been such a bad month for my baby......

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers,
I was chasing a problem not related to bucking, but in the process, I decided to pull all the injectors and sent them to Dr. Injector (local area injector re-builder). It turns out that this was not the problem; HOWEVER, this was a GOOD thing, as several had restricted flow, and not so good spray patterns. After fixing the real problem (long story), the engine was/is smoother the ever.