Won't idle all of a sudden

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. When bad, PCM thinks temp is hot and pulls timing and adds fuel (I think). The aftermarket sensor I bought (to save $20 :D) was sending wrong voltage/temp reading to PCM at start up and engine was "reading" warmed up (180*) and at actual warm up, PCM was reading 235! Get OEM Mopar sensors.

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. When bad, PCM thinks temp is hot and pulls timing and adds fuel (I think). The aftermarket sensor I bought (to save $20 :D) was sending wrong voltage/temp reading to PCM at start up and engine was "reading" warmed up (180*) and at actual warm up, PCM was reading 235! Get OEM Mopar sensors.

I pulled the codes again after resetting the PCM by grounding the positive cable and the P1296 is the only code that pops up. I'll replace these next but was was your car doing when your sensor went bad? Was it not idling? Don't think it would cause the cutting out above 3000rpms, would it?

The cam sensor code is gone but could I still have installed it a little to far and it's not working properly or would it throw a code again?

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had time to look at the car again and from the manual code P1296 says (No 5 volts to MAP sensor) - loss of 5 volt feed to MAP sensor has been detected. So I replaced the MAP sensor but still no luck.

I'm a newbie when it comes to using my multimeter but I was able to test the connector and it was showing 5 volts when the ingition was turned on. I'm going to try to test the sensor itself if I can figure it out.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had time to look at the car again and from the manual code P1296 says (No 5 volts to MAP sensor) - loss of 5 volt feed to MAP sensor has been detected. So I replaced the MAP sensor but still no luck.

I'm a newbie when it comes to using my multimeter but I was able to test the connector and it was showing 5 volts when the ingition was turned on. I'm going to try to test the sensor itself if I can figure it out.

I would say that that code is more likely to be a short in the positive lead to the map sensor.

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally had the time to check things out with a buddy that knows more about the electrical side than me. Tested the TPS, MAP, IAC, plugs, plug wires, coils, and everything checked out fine. Started to check the PCM wires and only then realized the VEC1 was still connected and tapped in :omg:. I thought I had disconnected it in the past since I didn't want to use it anymore. Disconnected it and she fired right up, idles fine, and goes past the 3000 rpm mark without any issues :headbang:.

Just in time for the long weekend and thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it! :2tu:

venom55O

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used to work for dodge a while back as a tech and I know cleaning the IAC was a problem on a lot of vehicles. Also if you keep the car running with the throttle and slowly, and I mean slowly take your foot off the accelerator it should re learn the idle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte