would you buy a Viper "superexotic"

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would you buy a Viper \"superexotic\"

i have been toying with the idea for quite sometime about doing some prelim designs for a "Viper" using a mid-engined layout with the Viper V10, complete carbon tub, F1 paddle shifting, "smart" aero adjustment, etc...like a european exotic inspired Viper to conquer the world. now this is not at all intended to belitle what the viper means to us all in its incredible current form, it's just another take on "what could be". would you be interested in a car like this? what would you pay for it? (keeping in mind the standard price from everything to Ferrari F40/F50, Zonda, Lambo, Carrera GT, etc.) just wanting some feedback...thanks

pit

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: would you buy a Viper \"superexotic\"

Just a piece of advice, but you would be traveling down a road that has caused the financial ruin of many people (DeLorean), and one that is a huge money loser for lots of other (Bugatti, Mosler, Panoz and Lotus too, I believe).

I have no idea what I would pay for such a car - I would not be a potential buyer anyways
smile.gif
, but if I started to look at paying in the $200k+ range for a car, I'm gonna be looking at the names people are going to know - like Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bugatti, McLaren, etc. Let's face it - a big part of cars like these are the exclusivity and prestige - but how many folks would be impressed when you say you just got a "BobCo Velocitator" or something
smile.gif

Not trying to dissuade you - but realize it would cost a TON of money, and there are MANY issues to deal with (how to sell? no dealer network. Warranty service? Replacement parts? EPA certification? Crash testing?).

A mid-mounted Viper V10 would offer a very potent starting point for a car, however, IMO.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

5 years ago, a mid-engine designed "viper" concept was circulating around. Ferrari had been called in to help do a design feasibility study, and a clay model WAS produced. Some of the local VCA news-letters actually printed a design photo, but it was never confirmed if it actually resembled the concept that Dodge had created?

The conclusion; Viper is currently a mid-engine car, since the engine actually sits in the middle of the car. Viper has to retain the engine in front of the driver. To keep costs at a reasonable level (the mid-engine concept would have cost about $250,000,000). And the higher ups in Chrysler at the time just did not like mid-engine cars. The exception to that last statement was Chris Theodore, who is now the main backer for Ford doing the GT-40.

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

steve,
is there any way i can get a hold of any of those early pics/designs? i would love to see what the take on the concept was. and i understand that there is immensly more than one could imagine involved with trying to produce a car such as this. i am in school right now about to start in on the "real" stuff of my engineering degree, and my career direction is toward sportscar design, potentially (depending on feasability) strictly on a LeMans GT Prototype platform, we'll see. i totally appreciate all of your advice, and i'm sure that i will be back for it again and again. anyway...

pit

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pit, if you are ever in Chicago let me know and I will show it to you. But as for making a copy, sorry. Last time someone did it got the person who did it in a boat load of trouble. Let me check back with PVO and see if they would mind if the concept drawing was now circulated, since they have given the plan a definite NO? Stay tuned.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have permission to post the picture. Let me reiterate that this is a design by a New York club member, and NOT the DC design that was under review. I will look for the picture tonight and then have someone post it for me since I can't. FYI, this is a black and white picture.

OP
OP
P

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve,
thanks a lot for all of your efforts to help me out. i really appreciate it. i look forward to seeing the design!

pit

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just an FYI but there is a guy up here in toronto that has done an exotic with a vette motor (500HP I beleive) trying to sel for 150K + canadain, project still hasn't gotten off the ground and it's been going for a couple years now.

Craig

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery