WTB Shifter (what brand is best)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just threw a B&M with the MGW First Strike on my car. I like it so far but haven't really put it through its paces.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure what the difference is since there doesn't seem to be one. After installing the MGW from stock it was a great improvement. Then I bought the B&M. After installing the B& M I realized it really doesn't change the throw any more than any thing else since the T56 has to move a certain distance no matter what you use. So I think its a wash. The MGW is much easier to install. The B&M is far more involved.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the MGW first, then got the SVS shifter with a connecting rod sized to keep the shift knob at the same height (would be really low with both). The SVS provides better spring tension towards the center to help prevent the 2->3 shift from going to a 2->1 shift. That's the advantage of the shifter.

I am not sure what the difference is since there doesn't seem to be one. After installing the MGW from stock it was a great improvement. Then I bought the B&M. After installing the B& M I realized it really doesn't change the throw any more than any thing else since the T56 has to move a certain distance no matter what you use. So I think its a wash. The MGW is much easier to install. The B&M is far more involved.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There is a difference between a shorter rod and a short throw shifter. A rod shortens the height of the shifter, reducing travel minimally, but a short throw shifter kit reduces the travel by a larger percentage through mechanics within the shifter. I'm no physics guy, but I'm sure someone here could explain how the internals of a B&M or Hurst move differently over a stock shifter.

After installing the B&M, I agree with the statement about the SVS; the spring tension for 3rd and 4th are greater than they were with the stock unit.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on the SVS shifter. I've had it now for 3 years and I love it. Feels as if the throws are shorter and more precise. I don't know if SVS still makes them or if they're still around.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Hurst. Tator always recommended the Hurst. I bought it from him. I don't think there is much of a difference from the B&M or others. I'd buy the least expensive one you can find. SVS IIRC is quite pricey, maybe that has changed.

With the Hurst, gears click into place with relative ease compared to the stock shifter. With the Hurst shifter you have to get a special knob from MGW to fit (or the ugly one from hurst), as the rod is not removable like the OEM mechanism.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope I'm not ruining someones day here...

EDIT: No EBay links Please

Last edited by a moderator:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to see the SVS. The t56 has to travel a set distance to change gears. So it seems to me that distance has to translate to the shifter. so I think the shorter the shaft the shorter the throw. I may be completely off base here. The ball in the tranny still moves the same distance. I am running the B&M currently and to me I felt no difference. Short shaft short throw. These cars are a blast to drive.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to see the SVS. The t56 has to travel a set distance to change gears. So it seems to me that distance has to translate to the shifter. so I think the shorter the shaft the shorter the throw. I may be completely off base here. The ball in the tranny still moves the same distance. I am running the B&M currently and to me I felt no difference. Short shaft short throw. These cars are a blast to drive.

Some info, I think, on the SVS shifter. There was a group buy a few years ago:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...thread-svs-short-throw-shifter-group-buy.html

Me likes it.

Randy Forbes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Hurst. Tator always recommended the Hurst. I bought it from him. I don't think there is much of a difference from the B&M or others. I'd buy the least expensive one you can find. SVS IIRC is quite pricey, maybe that has changed.

With the Hurst, gears click into place with relative ease compared to the stock shifter. With the Hurst shifter you have to get a special knob from MGW to fit (or the ugly one from hurst), as the rod is not removable like the OEM mechanism.
I just installed a Hurst for a local board member; drove the car for the first time this evening, and the new shifter feels very good. The effort is not high, and trip between gears is very short.

Perhaps it was the combination of brand-new OE engine mounts, and an aftermarket urethane xmsn mount, but the Hurst shifter was hitting the bottom of the trans tunnel, making it difficult to engage 5th/6th and impossible to get reverse. I had to cut a notch to clear the lever. For details, see: Gallery :: Viper_GenI_headgaskets

You must be registered for see images

There is a difference between a shorter rod and a short throw shifter. A rod shortens the height of the shifter, reducing travel minimally, but a short throw shifter kit reduces the travel by a larger percentage through mechanics within the shifter. I'm no physics guy, but I'm sure someone here could explain how the internals of a B&M or Hurst move differently over a stock shifter.

After installing the B&M, I agree with the statement about the SVS; the spring tension for 3rd and 4th are greater than they were with the stock unit.
What makes a true short shifter, is changing the ratio of movement above and below the pivot point. By raising the pivot point, effectively making the lever below the pivot longer, it takes a shorter throw above the pivot point to effect the same amount of movement below said point.

Whatever the percentage of travel is decreased, you can expect the same percentage in increased effort, as you've lost some mechanical advantage.

If anyone is complaining about notchy shifting, and thinks a short shift lever will help, it will only exagerate it more.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack has the SVSi, B+M, and MGW available, ships in 12-24 hours. For G2 we like the SVSi best. But have NOT personally driven the MGW....

I am NOT a fan of the Hurst for the Viper, for several reasons. Since it is the ONLY "Dodge Part #" shifter, many Dodge dealers prefer them.

The MGW GRIPPER knob is our favorite

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang