XM Satellite Radio - RT/10 Install

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had XM Satellite Radio installed in my RT/10 and I thought I would share some ideas and pictures. I'm sure there are many variations on the theme. I did not do the install. Just knew what I wanted and where I wanted it. You may want to do it very differently.

Antenna
You must be registered for see images

Biggest decision is apparently where to put the antenna. Inside the trunk would surely be a poor decision in regard to reception. Jammed on the outside on the edge of back of the trunk lid (similar to the GTS I saw).....well....I didn't want it there. Thought it could get stolen, damaged, fly off etc etc. Reception where I have it now is excellent! (infront of interior "glass") Unit is pretty sturdy just the way it is but haulin' a$$ with the back window out may require this thing to be velcrod down.

amp

Hec, while I was at it I had the stock amp pulled and now have the new one (JL-Audio) back up against the wall behind the passenger seat. There is absolute no (zero) loss of leg room. It takes up no space where it is, and it's better than having it in the trunk where it can get ripped off. XM unit by the way is under the passenger seat.

speakers

.....and while I was at it....stock speaker and tweeters OUT! The Focals I've got in there now are sweet and sound particularly nice with the focal subwoofer, over the glove box.
(Focal Sub not yet installed in the pic of the antenna) By the way, the focals sound absolutely awesome when dialed into satellite radio.

Unit (not pictured)

Alpine.....again ....but this is quite an upgrade from the stock unit. Be sure to get a good fit. These can be tricky with the trim and "bezel" around the unit. Get it flush, a totally unobtrusive install.

Glad I could share. All I can say is .....I love my new satellite radio
smile.gif

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. Is it playing through the stock headunit or did you change that out as well. Real tight install.

OP
OP
V

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Alpine unit is a CDA-7892 and it's fully XM ready. Usual goodines like remote control, removable face, seperate subwoofer controls..etc etc. Big change from the stock unit

OP
OP
V

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John: Initially I was concerned about the interior mounting of the antenna as I thought this location would produce signal loss. *******: the signal is perfect. Soft top on: the signal is also 100% there. And surprisingly, with the hard top on: ........the signal is also ALL THERE. I can't exactly explain why and I don't know the physics of how/if signals can travel thru/around hard objects but apparently the back (plexi)type glass is not stopping the signal from reaching the box. Right now it's all Lima Charlie.....Loud and Clear.
smile.gif

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like you got the best spots to put them in, go for it. Is it like $10 a month for the service of the XM radio?

CAVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch out for headaches i had my xm antenna inside for awile and it gave me really bad headaches. maybe it was all the cell phone brain cancer warnings messing with me.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAVIPER,
Are you serious about the headache issue or just joking?
That would ****!!!
I am considering xm but was looking for a good install place for the antenna this appeared to be it. but now not so sure.
thanks
JIM

CAVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO I REALLY AM SERIOUS. I KEPT GETTING REALLY BAD HEADACHES WHEN I WAS IN THE VEHICLE.

THE ONLY DIFFERENCES WERE IT WAS IN A DODGE TRUCK AND IT WAS ONE OF THE GLASS MOUNT ANTENNAS THAT WAS LAYING ON THE REAR SEAT TEMPORARILY SO I DON'T KNOW IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE OR NOT.

GOOD LUCK HOPEFULLY WE WILL GET SOME FOLLOW UP ON THIS POST TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE COMPLAINS OF THIS.

OP
OP
V

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's a pretty heavy dose of misinformation floating around here about XM Radio. I'm not an authorized dealer or promoter of this product, I'm just passing on an opinion.

I've seen the XM radio antenna mounted on the outside of several vehicles (including a GTS), but I've been told, and I can confirm that there is no signal loss when it's mounted in the cabin of my RT/10. - ....No signal loss with hard top, soft top or no top. - I've noticed temporarily lost and dropped signals when traveling underground. (underground parking garage)...don't know about tunnels.

Secondly, the theory that XM Satellite Radio signal can be harmful (specifically when mounted inside the cockpit)is "hogwash" I've talked to all kinds of techs locally and at XM and there is nothing to substantiate such a theory. You're MORE LIKELY to be adversely affected by your cell phone. Which we also know is BS.

Lastly, I'm by no means the first one on the block to get XM. I think in a few years from now it will be common place in every vehicle (and alot cheaper) Why? Sure you can say you love the programming and lack of commercials but the real reason I got it was this: I cranked up a local radio station right up to the point where I could detect some distortion. Then I did the same thing on XM band. With XM, I never got to that point of distortion!

P.S. - Headaches? No not really, just the occasional ringing in my ears after I get out of the car. ....and that's not from the antenna. My 2c

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's doubtful the antenna was causing the headaches. Unlike cellular technology, XM radio is a receive only device and therefore does not emit an RF signal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte