Yamaha R1 vs. Dodge Viper - CRASH!

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Two way traffic and driving like that = total *********..

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So was there any way to pull out of this? More throttle, less brake? Just out of curiosity, cause sand definitely could have played a factor and none of us know if those tires are new or not. Not that tires matter on sand in a no TC/ABS car. Also the car was already sideways before the brakes locked up.

It was stupid to begin with. I guess they didn't see the clip of the 355 and the GTS, then the GTS flew off the side of a mountain.

--RS

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So was there any way to pull out of this? More throttle, less brake? Just out of curiosity, cause sand definitely could have played a factor and none of us know if those tires are new or not. Not that tires matter on sand in a no TC/ABS car. Also the car was already sideways before the brakes locked up.

It was stupid to begin with. I guess they didn't see the clip of the 355 and the GTS, then the GTS flew off the side of a mountain.

--RS

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch, can you say Spring Mountain or a Skip Barber school. Or just do not race on public roads might be a great idea. It could of been a lot worse.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

--RS
Probably lifted and panicked as soon as he lost traction, then locked the brakes. Looks like he just banged the facia and not the hood, so damage shouldn't be too bad. Stay in the throttle and pedal, and it could have been saved, but sometimes that can end up worse, rotating the rear around into the guardrail. He was driving too close to the shoulder vs. the center line. For what it's worth that was a '96 RT/10.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His line into the corner forced him to make a sharper/more sudden turn in than necessary which upset the balance, then as redtan said he probably lifted, and then his rear got in the dirt and it was all over...sorry to see that. It can happen as easily as you saw there. Be safe out there (shouting this to myself right now).

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were not going very fast as evidenced by the fact that the car did not spin and it was drivable. His brake lights did not go on after he was on what appears to have been some sand on the road to the right before he lost traction. I wonder if he down shifted before the upcoming corner when he was on the sand and when the lower gear took hold it was enough to cause what occurred.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2, he wasn't doing anything crazy. Just hit sand and lost control. I would hope he has newer tires, but even new tires can slide on sand and rocks. Glad it wasn't that bad........................and no airbags went off. :D

F

FrgMstr

Bad line took him off the good road surface. Been there, done that....once.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
X2, he wasn't doing anything crazy. Just hit sand and lost control. I would hope he has newer tires, but even new tires can slide on sand and rocks. Glad it wasn't that bad........................and no airbags went off. :D
Total Agree. It was not that fast at all. You can even tell from the amount of lean on the bike that this was not "on the edge".

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not, because you're sitting so close to the rear axle, its hard to feel the car rotate until it's too late; he did try to correct with the steering wheel but it had already rotated more than could be compensated for. (This versus cars like Mustangs where the driver's butt is more forward of the rear axle, you can feel those going around and saw the wheel all the way through a turn managing the kick out...Vipers take a lot of practice to manage the same thing). One thing I do (on track, not public roads) is remind myself on certain corners that steering it to spin versus trying to correct can be useful when you have no lateral runout and plenty of space in the direction of travel. Wouldn't advise that on public roads since hard to tell what's coming at you....on track its all behind you and they can see what's happening if you elect to spin versus try to save.

--RS

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:its easy to see he got into the shoulder dirty area, and lost it, or maybe the nuckle broke:lmao:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank God for the guardrail ! :omg: An R1 vs a Gen1 is total mismatch. Most likely a 94 with 96 stripes. I don't see rear tail pipes and the wheels are 94.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't really think any car was typically much of a match for a new sportbike. Granted that's if the bike rider has balls of steel. I know I certainly don't have the stones to lean over that far and trust the tires to stick.

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OMG!!! Nothing gets by you guys! I'm sad to say that's my 1994 RT/10 in the video. Some of you got it right I hit the sand and it started to spin so I lifted (bad idea). The car is an easy fix the bumper got scraped maybe a couple of grand in parts we drove it home no problem. You can say what you want I know it was stupid we were so lucky there wasn't any oncoming traffic when I spun. The car had new PS2'S at the right pressures if you were wondering. I am just so grateful no one was hurt. End of story.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, V10 That Motorcycle is SICK! I Definitely Wouldn't Want to Be on the Back With Him! Lol! dtvtech, Probably A Good Thing You Fessed Up Before They Trashed You Too Much, Lol! Glad Everybody Was OK!