Yellow VCA on EBAY

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the majority of you who feel that selling their special edition SRT-10 circumvents the intent of Dodge and slights those who really want to own and keep one for their pleasure.

But I wonder how the dealers treated those of you who purchased this special edition. Did you have to pay over MSRP?

I had to on my '93 to some degree and way over on my GT2. My local dealer wanted $140,000 initially on the GT2 until he learned others were "only" asking $100,000. I felt I was being taken advantage of and needless to say I don't feel any allegiance to this dealer.

Anyway, I digressed a little. How did the dealers treat you and does that have any bearing on how certain individuals have no issue with profiteering on their purchase?

By the way, red, white and blue is by far the best and fastest!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did the dealers treat you and does that have any bearing on how certain individuals have no issue with profiteering on their purchase?

An interesting question which actually fuels some of the controversy. Let me first answer your initial question: For those that went with recognized Viper dealers (Woodhouse, Roanoke, Buhler, Tator, etc.), chances are excellent that they were treated well - under MSRP. Why? Because unlike your GT2 dealer, these guys recognize that they want you as a future customer - several times over. They also want you to refer other buyers to them as well. Gouging won't do that.

And this leads to what is one of the biggest issues for ALL VCA vehicles and certificate programs. Do you remember when the certificates were issued for the initial run of 2003 SRT-10's? Many dealers (and not the ones listed above) were screaming "FOUL!!!" to DC because they suddenly couldn't gouge people for that first run of SRT-10's. Hell, if they could ask $5,000 over MSRP on the new PT Cruiser, think how much they could have nailed on the brand-new SRT-10! Yet they didn't and the owners controlled the market for a change. A large part of the argument was to help current Viper owners get into the new car without getting crushed on the price. Many dealers hated it and complained to DC long and loud. And don't forget who DC's customers really are: The dealers.

The bottom line is that DC runs the risk of ******* off their largest customers (dealers) whenever they do a program like this. DC argues it puts the cars into the hands of the enthusiasts at a fair price. Now when some of those same enthusiasts turn around and do the same "markup" BS that the dealer wanted to do in the first place, that just endangers the program for the future. I mean really, if everybody is just going to turn their certificate cars or VCA Editions for a profit, why bother offering them directly to the Viper owners anymore? Just give them to the dealers and let them do the gouging instead. The end result is that those that genuinely want to own these vehicles at a fair price will never be able to do so again.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a real easy way to solve this problem without resorting to a VCA police state; lease the cars rather than sell them.

The lease can be for whatever length of time Dodge would like to "lock-up" the original winners. The lease terms can be manipulated to ensure the cars are awarded to the winners at a fair price. Sure you could still flip the car at the end of the lease, but the immediate profiteering that seems to upset folks, would be eliminated.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Great Ideas, but trust me when I say, that there is only so much a manufacturer can do LEGALLY to insure "non transfer" of ownership.... and Dodge has done all that they can....

On the other hand, the VCA can describe a procedure to be followed and can only "punish" offenders by eliminating them from any future programs. There isn't much else that can be done. The lease idea sounds great... but has been discussed previously, and from what I understand, cannot be invoked.

Remember, there's many obligations a manufacturer has regarding delivering vehicles to its' franchisees, and plenty of obligations the manufacturer has to offer regarding the freedoms the franchisee has when offering the car for sale. (I know, rather business oriented, but informative!)

There is a real easy way to solve this problem without resorting to a VCA police state; lease the cars rather than sell them.

The lease can be for whatever length of time Dodge would like to "lock-up" the original winners. The lease terms can be manipulated to ensure the cars are awarded to the winners at a fair price. Sure you could still flip the car at the end of the lease, but the immediate profiteering that seems to upset folks, would be eliminated.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sincerely hope DC recognizes there will always be a few in the bunch who will circumvent the intent no matter how many precautions, rules, and regulations are put in place. The almighty dollar can do strange things to some. However, the vast majority of us appreciate what DC has done for the VCA. We are repeat customers and good walking advertisements for them. I think they are smart enough to see past those who may take advantage of the program.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't/Doesn't Ferrari run a Lease program on all of their high end cars??

Chris? Any Ideas?

Jay "??" K.