You get your WISH $3200.00 Supercharger

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler kit from Paxton costs $7,500 not installed.
The Viper kit will cost $3,200????
I hope nobody says the kit costs only $2,999 when you lift the hood after you paid $3,200!!!!!

Max

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaxedGTS:
The Prowler kit from Paxton costs $7,500 not installed.
The Viper kit will cost $3,200????
I hope nobody says the kit costs only $2,999 when you lift the hood after you paid $3,200!!!!!

Max

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't understand where you said I hope nobody says the kit costs only $2,999 when you lift the hood after you paid $3,200!!!!!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing I did after getting my Viper a couple of months back was to call ATI (I'm a dealer) and ask them if they were working on anything....the answer was no. They did tell me another of there dealers had done a Viper. I will have to look back and get that info. I havn't heard the D1sc but the D1 on my 94 Formula sounds mean as hell (and is) but that cool sound can get on your nerves real quick.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A list of 30 or more,fooled me,I was sure every viper owner had an IQ greater than 50.
Test marketing a "you get what U pay for SC" at $3200.is like trying to catch a bullet with your teeth!
THE TRUE PRICE is $9200.Math:$3200SVSi+$6000.Roe Racing(custom tested product)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
Can you elaborate on the kit. Will it be available for the Gen I cars or just the Gen II's. So far everything seems to be directed at the Gen II's and I would like to get something likethis for my Gen I.

Mike

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will probably pay a few grand more for the Roe unit, as I love instant boost. More importantly, I TRUST SEAN 1000%!!! Boost lag s*cks, and I can't imagine road racing with lag. It is already hard enough feathering the gas out of a turn, with the massive power/torque the V10 has. Now throw lag into that equation - no thanks.

Although, I think for you 1/4 mile freaks this blower could be great. WHY KNOCK IT!!!! You guys, including myself, have been crying for an affordable blower for years. Now it looks like one is being made, and your complaining. GIVE ME A BREAK. Of course this unit isn't going to match up to a $20,000 custom tuned centr. blower unit, but for the backyard mechanic it is great. Yes, our engines cost 5x what a Mustang motor does, but SC is the SAME BASIC PRINCIPLE. Many 5.0 liter Mustangs have been using this same basic setup (6 pound boost, FMU, basic brackets, etc...), with NO problems for years. You run into trouble when you increase the boost, and still rely on the stock injectors, stock fuel system/FMU, etc.... That is why they blow there motors - stupidity. Higher boost levels requires more parts (bigger injectors, bigger fuel pumps, etc...), to protect from detonation. I SAY 'GOOD JOB', to Paxton.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would say "good job" as well, if this blower even existed SPECIFICALLY for viper applications.. hopefully, i will eat my words.. until then,

s a b o t a g e.

- eddie -

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Dan in the above post. I was one of the first people who put mylself on Seans list after talking to him extensivel regarding his supercharger kit. Although Seans price is significantly (percentage wise) than this $3200, tag, you have to wonder what you can get for $3200. This is no different than a BASIC mustang/camaro kit. Unless they really surpriseme, im guessing an FMU, a couple of brackets, some cheap PVC plastic tubing and an air filter and rubber hoses. Althogh the price is GREAT, and IF my assumptions are correct, is this the kind of thing you bolt on to a $14,000 engine and $70K car?
Look at the quality of Dan's kit, and Seans kit. From talking to sean, his production kits have braided hoses, new injectors, fuel management computer (VEC1), billet fuel rail, new intake manifold (i think it is billet aluminum..not sure), polished supercharger, and he has done the research. But if you price it all out, you are probably going to pay the same amount for this new paxton kit with similar components.
If I was so sure that I could save $3000 right off the bat,I would have been one of the30 on the waitinglist too. I know some of what is being said is just guessing. No one really knows until they release the SC, but I want my Viper to get good quality components. We didnt buy the viper because it was the best bargain (you can make a faster mustang for MUCH cheaper), but because it is an exotic, high-performance machine. Anything I put in it, will have to live up to its name and the quality I paid for.
For now, Im not quite ready to pay the $20K for a perfect work-of-art DLM system. Yet, I am sure I want better quality thatn what a $3200 system probably buys me. Seans kit and Dans kit fall in between. I guess we will have to wait and see.....

OP
OP
S

Svsi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton is doing the R&D not SVSi. If you don't like don't buy it. Dan FYI this runs off the stock serpentine belt. I don't know why you TUNERS are mad? They can now offer a less expensive unit. If ROE,DLM,DAN CRAGIN want to sell it you people can too. This unit originally started as a Dodge Viper factory bolt on system. So what would you say if Mopar sells it and dealers install it? I think it is great if it does what they say it will for the price, thats good for all the people that don't want to spend $7000.00 to $50,000.00. All I can say is if it works good and you scare every one away with the BS the Viper owners lose again. If it dont, we still sell our own systems anyway. Dan I did not know you had a SC system?

SVSi
Ron Sr

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive gotta say that Ron has a point too. Hopefully 3200 will buy us all a great system or a system that is a perfect platform to build upon. Many of us have $3-7K to start upon, but have a hard time coughing up $20K in cash all at once. If mopar was ready to back it, its probably a good product.This is what they competition in a free market. It is only good for all of us. Let the price wars begin!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
Ok, maybe not, but at least I can hope
smile.gif

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, thanks for the specifics on why a $3k supercharger kit may not be the best thing for a viper owner. Ron, Sr., rather than simply accuse Dan of spreading BS, it would be a lot more helpful if you would address the specifics set forth in Dan's post and why you apparently disagree that those issues make a $3k kit suspect from a reliability standpoint. I understand you're not developing the kit, but it's obvious you disagree with some or all of the points Dan made, and specifics are extremely helpful to those of us without much of a technical background.

Oh, and Dan has had a twin centrifugal kit in the works for some time, which you can see at the following link if you're interested:
http://www.thevipershop.com/Supercharger_Preview.htm

Thanks.

Ronnie

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One rare viper what makes you think centrifigal blowers aren't instant also?If mine were any more instant you couldn't drive it.
Although I don't agree that you have to key the crank in low boost applications because of the minimal load on the crank pulley,I think Dan described my system exactly. Cheaper systems could do away with the aux fuel upgrade by using a boost a pump type system by raising voltage to the fuel pump and putting a msd timing retard box on it and your fuel issues are basically over and probably a lot of hp also, but you would probably still see about a 100 hp on the rear wheels. My car has the upgraded fuel system and makes about 160 additional hp on the rear wheels with only 5 to 6 psi.I definately think 3200 without a fuel system upgrade is possible and probably installed for 5k with a base system, but just like everything else in life its the options that you have to pay for, polishing, upgraded fuel system etc,etc. Heffner, Levin, Svsi and others can give you the upgraded kit now, its the starter kit the rest of you are waiting for.Me myself, I chose the upgrade because I wanted the insurance of the upgraded fuel system and a person installing it knowing issues that need to be addressed when supercharging a instruction manual doesn't include.
My 2 Cents.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
I have to agree with Dan in the above post. I was one of the first people who put mylself on Seans list after talking to him extensivel regarding his supercharger kit. Although Seans price is significantly (percentage wise) than this $3200, tag, you have to wonder what you can get for $3200. This is no different than a BASIC mustang/camaro kit. Unless they really surpriseme, im guessing an FMU, a couple of brackets, some cheap PVC plastic tubing and an air filter and rubber hoses. Althogh the price is GREAT, and IF my assumptions are correct, is this the kind of thing you bolt on to a $14,000 engine and $70K car?
Look at the quality of Dan's kit, and Seans kit. From talking to sean, his production kits have braided hoses, new injectors, fuel management computer (VEC1), billet fuel rail, new intake manifold (i think it is billet aluminum..not sure), polished supercharger, and he has done the research. But if you price it all out, you are probably going to pay the same amount for this new paxton kit with similar components.
If I was so sure that I could save $3000 right off the bat,I would have been one of the30 on the waitinglist too. I know some of what is being said is just guessing. No one really knows until they release the SC, but I want my Viper to get good quality components. We didnt buy the viper because it was the best bargain (you can make a faster mustang for MUCH cheaper), but because it is an exotic, high-performance machine. Anything I put in it, will have to live up to its name and the quality I paid for.
For now, Im not quite ready to pay the $20K for a perfect work-of-art DLM system. Yet, I am sure I want better quality thatn what a $3200 system probably buys me. Seans kit and Dans kit fall in between. I guess we will have to wait and see.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokin,

I keep watching you slam this kit in various posts... I don't get your angle. Until Sean's kit, superchargers were around $15-20k. Then Heffner started doing it for more like $10-14k. Then Sean did it for $7k. Now Paxton is doing it for $3k. So why do you ASSUME that the kit must be junk? You don't know ANYTHING about the kit, what it includes, how it works, etc... but yet you keep posting that "why would we put junk on our cars" and such. At what price point does a kit become junk? Or does this have something to do with the price you paid, and you're not justifying to yourself that you DIDN'T spend too much?

If you have some material information about this new kit - please fill us in. Until then you are SPECULATING and ASSUMING and making others nervous when you don't know ANYTHING about what Paxton is offering!

fill us in, eh?

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think everyone should calm down, take a step back and wait and see when we get details. This was a great tidbit of info as to what might be on the horizon. It's crazy that people are knocking it when they don't know what it's all about. Even crazier is knocking this kit and praising Roe's & Cragin's. I have dealt with Sean and talked with Dan and have great respect for both of them, but I don't believe either of them have any kits out in the market place yet. I'm sure once they are out there they will be great, but it's a little silly to say how great theirs is and how bad Paxton's is by comparison. Lets slow down all and see the results when all three finally arrive on the streets.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,
Calm down. I am not slamming this kit in the least. In fact I am excited to see what it has to offer. If you look back at the beginning of this thread, you can see some very enthusiastic replies by me. I even called to get more information. Please dont take my previous posts as criticism. However, with everyone else's raised eyebrows and skepticism, I just trying to comment on what everyone else had to say...and add my .02. I have not paid anyone any money yet for any supercharger...not a dime. I am merely on the waiting list.
I was not even skpetical about the unit until I read some of these posts. I believe the skepticism about the parts that MAY be contained in this kit is however not without any basis. As gearheads most of us know how much a good supercharger kit costs, on the flip side, no one has told us what this one is going to include. If it turns out to be a perfect kit, my hats off the paxton, SVSI, I would probably buy one. Whatever happens, paxton, SVSI, and all who are marketing this new kit are doing us (viper owners) a great service in grounding the price of the Viper aftermarket.
Marc is probably right, we should all calm down take a breather and stop speculating. If SVSI can help market a reputable kit for $3100, I know they will corner the entire market. If this kit has "good bones" and a good structure to build upon, everyone will be in line to get one. People are saying it will be a satin finish...for $3100 I will have it polished. They say it will have plastic piping. For the money saved people could have custom pipes fabricated. I guess all everyone is saying, based on the chit-chat back and forth, is that even in the low-buck mustang and camaro market, the price tag indicates some basic pieces. Either way, this is a GOOD STEP. I applaud SVSI, and the manufacturer for doing this. As consumers, we just have to wait and see and then make a good, educated purchasing decision.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony or someone can you please verify this "paxton" person is legit. Could be just some 15 year old kid paying games.

Thanks

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony! So it's true Paxton going to make the kit, excellent
cool.gif

Wonder what SVSi is going to do now
confused.gif
after all they have 30 people on a waiting list for a $3,200 supercharger not a $7-8K supercharger HAHAHA we all called your BS nice try though.

I know where I WILL NOT be buying the kit from!

OP
OP
S

Svsi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told this morning that the $3200.00 was the cost to the customer that let them use there car to prototype the kit.Sorry for the misunderstanding.At least now all the people that thought it was not enough money got there wish.And Paxton did confirm that the kit is being made.And Mes can buy his Paxton SC somewhere else.I know one thing it sure got everyone interested in what was going on with Paxton.Maybe they will send me one for
promoting there product?

SVSi
Ron Sr

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paxton:
Yes, we are working on it...
Pricing has not been set up- we do not have the complete cost figures yet. We hope to keep pricing from$7K-$8K.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ding ding ding...we have a winner..

s a b o t a g e.

- eddie -

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, you posted a kit for 3,200, and put your company name and number down and are now telling us that you posted this because of a little hearsay?

"I was told this morning that the $3200.00 was the cost to the customer that let them use there car to prototype the kit"

One would think if you were planning on offering this kit to the public and put a price tag on it you would have to check with the company about how much they would charge you. Don't really love that tactic.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had talked with someone at paxton back in Nov 2001 and they were just starting back then on the viper project as far as was if feasable for their product line.

I guess it will be.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Lublin:
I think everyone should calm down, take a step back and wait and see when we get details................................. Lets slow down all and see the results when all three finally arrive on the streets.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like Marc said ^^^^^....... We, as a Viper community have been asking for ways to make our cars go quicker, faster, handle better, sound meaner, stop shorter, etc......If a vendor comes out with a system that fills a market demand then that's great! Lets sit back and see what this system has to offer and not be so quick to slam it.

I've been following Sean Roe's supercharger project since his first post on it. When Sean announced a waiting list, I put myself on the list. I look forward to installing the Roe system on my Viper (even if another system comes out).

If SVSI comes out with a competitive DIY system then more power to them. Competition=pricing=Competition=innovation=
BURNOUT.gif

no flame intended, just observation. <FONT size="1">©2002 cstegall</FONT s>

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smokin,

You said....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>you have to wonder what you can get for $3200.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This is no different than a BASIC mustang/camaro kit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>im guessing an FMU, a couple of brackets, some cheap PVC plastic tubing and an air filter and rubber hoses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>IF my assumptions are correct, is this the kind of thing you bolt on to a $14,000 engine and $70K car?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Look at the quality of Dan's kit, and Seans kit. ...if you price it all out, you are probably going to pay the same amount for this new paxton kit with similar components. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>If I was so sure that I could save $3000 right off the bat,I would have been one of the30 on the waitinglist too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>but I want my Viper to get good quality components. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Anything I put in it, will have to live up to its name and the quality I paid for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am sure I want better quality thatn what a $3200 system probably buys me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc Lublin said,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Marc is probably right, we should all calm down take a breather and stop speculating.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc made EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. It was nothing against you personally, however you have to understand that alot of people read these threads and when they read the comments you wrote, they probably think "wait a minute, this guy is saying the kit is junk, maybe I shouldn't buy one?". I'm not saying you DID say that directly, but that's the impression you gave. At the same time, you lauded Sean's kit (which I would too - seems great) - but as someone who admittedly doesn't know much about it, why compare the two when we know NO details, and have not given Paxton any chance to tell us what the deal is.

And now we hear that the kit is $7k... so does that mean the anticipated quality level just doubled? No... it means only that we now know the kit is $7k and not $3,200.

I'm just making a point...

-Mike

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wooo hooo another personal stab from Mike. Mike, I'll keep this one short. On the flip side, one could look at my post and say "I guess Smokin was right". "I guess it does take 6,7, or 8K to make a good SC system"......go back to your Gen III forum. We need to quarantine you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets