Your First Viper Experience?

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your First Viper Experience... and what made you buy one?

(this was a great thread on the other site so I thought we should get one on here too!):drive:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already mentioned this somewhere in lesser detail, but my first one was on holiday in a town called Drumheller in Alberta, Canada.. fist ever Viper seen in real life, same one that got me my first passenger ride.. MAN I remember it like it was only yesterday :headbang:
Family and I were going to the local dinosaur museum and passed the Chrysler/Dodge dealership which of course I checked for Vipers, it went like this in a matter of seconds:

Hey that could be a roofline... nah looks like that of a Neon or something behind that row of cars... (already started to prepare to look the other way when the end of that line came about)... huh wait a minute :omg:... VIPER :omg:!..... think of an 18 year old boy looking at a probably brand new red/silver striped GTS in 2002, face flying almost through the window of my uncle's car, nose face and hands instantly glueing, nah MELTING to it...
Same evening my niece calls the manager and we go there again the next day.. sales manager (the owner of said Viper) politely asks us to wait until he finishes a few phone calls.. guy comes out of his office.. "come on let's go for a ride".. you can imagine I literally went like :jawdrop: Matter of fact here is a picture I took back then:

You must be registered for see images

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I saw a Blue/White 96 GTS in for service back in 98 or so. That was cool as all hell at the time, though I was still dabbling in the Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo/ Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 markets back then, and overlooked the car at the time as something I wanted for myself anytime soon. Little did I know that a seed had been planted, and subconsciously I started working towards that car.

When I decided it was time to move up, I went right over the Vette and headed straight for the Viper. Started looking at Gen-1s, convinced myself into a gen-2 from 96-99, and ended up with a brand new 02 Final Edition.... Yeah, I really worked that price range well, I know. lol!:lmao::rolleyes::lmao:

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first viper sighting in person came in 1993. I was 15 at the time. I grew up in Coopersburg PA, it is a nice small town about 1 hour outside of philadelphia to the north. It is a strange mix of farms and middle to upper class housing, rolling hills, etc. I went for a bike ride with some of my friends from high school for a little exercise. We were taking a break at a four way stop sign, and I heard the beast coming from a half mile away. I couldn't believe my eyes, but it was a Red 93 RT/10. I watched it the whole way down the road. From that point it was my dream car and in April of 06 I purchased a 4500 mile spotless 99 RT/10. I just cannot wait til spring comes because everytime I walk past it all covered up with the battery tender on it, I want to pull it out and take it for a ride. Best looking car ever made in my opinion!!!

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure over the years I saw many at auto shows and even on the roads. I do remember noticing one turn into a subdivision near my house and followed him in to see where he lived, but I had never thought about owning one. No - My dream car was a Corvette. :bonker: I had a plan to get a Vette for my mid-life crises (only way I could get the wife to agree), which was planned for five years from now. Then one day we were going into a strip mall and the kids saw a Red and White GTS parked in front of Red Robin and wanted to go check it out. :headbang: I wasn't that interested myself, but sent them over to look at it. After we did our shopping the Viper was still there and the kids wanted to check the Viper out again. :bigok: So I walked over with them this time and said. "You know, I could get one of these instead of a Vette. It would have to be a bit older, but they're pretty much the same car". :nono: Forgive me, I didn't really know anything about the Viper back then, except that they always compared it to the Vette in MT and RT. The kids looked at me with wonder and hope in their faces and I knew I would be getting a Viper from that moment on. I am eternally thankful to whoever took their Viper to dinner that night, otherwise I would have bought a Vette and been blissfully ignorant of what could have been.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was in 94. I had seen one on the road before and the dealer had a new one in his show room. I had just bought a new truck from him and the owner came out and we were talking about the Viper. I made a joke that I would trade him the new truck I had just bought for the Viper that he had in stock. He threw me the keys to it and said here you go. Take it out for a spin. I thought he was joking. He walked away and said, See you in a couple hours. I was terrified driving it and did not want to put a mark in it so I never opened it up but it gave me the bug for sure. 12 years later I had a GTS in my garage.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1989 NAIAS in Detroit the debut of the Viper concept car, it was all the rage, and i said if they make it i will have one some day! Next experience came in late fall of '91 and early '92 when my brothers father in-law(an exec. at Chrysler since AMC times) checked out a early pre-production prototypes for the weekend I got to drive my first Viper(here are pics)

viper911.jpg

viper012.jpg

viper914.jpg

next awesome experience came when the first pilot GTS's came out and my brother got those on several occasions for a few weekends, BUT then his father in-law arranged for us to go to Indy Motor Speedway and get a chance to be driven arount the speedway in the actual pace car by Lynn St. James(Indy race car driver) during timing week. here is that pic.

pace.jpg

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i can say is that i have been very forturnate and lucky! With the exception of the new '08's I have been able to drive each and every iteration of the Viper 6mo.---1yr. before they were ever delivered/available to the public.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back when I worked in the Viper engineering / design group.. first time they gave me a M plate car for the weekend to play with (thanks to Pete Gladysz).. here's an old pic driving around our county, you may recognize where it's taken?

Cool pics & experience Sylvan!

You must be registered for see images

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ever since the came out I wanted one. my senior year of high school (1996) I was working at a gas station part-time. I guy rolls in in a 96 GTS...straight up crapped my pants. Being a complete dummy I say how does it compare to a mustang cobra or a vette...the response was something like "neither one can even touch this thing" hell now I am hooked, fast foward to 2001. I am driving home late from my parents after woking for my dad, around 11pm on route 208/route 17 intersection in Jersey. I see a Viper up ahead, I race up to catch him doing about 70 when I pull up next to him (by now I know all about vipers and there power). I am in my 2000 mustang GT w/ UD pullies full exhust, intake, lowered (nice car at the time i was about 22 and paid it off in 1 yr.) So I pull up next to him and shout out the window...love your car, we exchange some words (nice ones) and I say can I race you from 60 or so he laughs but I just want to see it in action. I am in 3rd he is in whatever gear...
we go!!!...

gone, that guy was gone...I am like crap am I not in gear, did I go thru quicksand...i mean it was like 10 car lengths before I got the pedal to the floor...i am doing a 100mph and don't even see the guy.
yeah...that made me want to get one:2tu:

seriously...the guy was gone

D

DAMN YANKEE

Never was in one....
None to test drive....
Knew no one that had one....
Rarely ever saw one....
Roarin' 90's were over and I was flush...
Walked into a dealership and ordered a 2000 gun metal, no stripe GTS....

Waited.....

Waited......

Waited.....

Got a call and went with my wife to the dealership. The dealer met me at the door and we went way out back to a huge empty garage. There in the middle of this massive building was a perfect new Viper.....It was waiting to come alive. I had the key.

One other guy just standing there looking. Dealer says to me quietly "He came in to pick his minivan about an hour ago and hasn't left this spot. He just stands there looking at it." I walked up to him and introduced myself. "Yours?" he said. "I guess so" I said. "Lucky guy, its the most beautiful car in the world" says he. "Thanks" say I.

I get inside and up goes the garage door. I turn on the motor...

My first time in a Viper....
My first Viper engine sound...
My first time in a car over 200hp...
My first big block....
I Drop the clutch and out the door I go....
Turn right and off to see the world through the rush and terror of a Dodge Viper...

The guy was right then....and still right now....

Folks...

They will get more exotic...
They will get more powerful....
They will get more expensive...

But...

It will never, can never, get better than that new steel grey, no stripe 2000 Dodge Viper GTS. The ghost...the shadow glide...the dark ride...the grey spector....the pale moriah...

on your tail and whipping around you before you ever see it coming...

The thunder after everybody else's flash.....and I had the key....

Here is the video...

YouTube - Major Kong Rides the Bomb

slimpickens.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in 1997 or 1998 there was one Viper GTS in the city I lived in (London, Ontario has 350000 people) and the dealer wanted $25k over list (which was $115k)....so I was only able to view it. A couple years later I saw used ones in Waterloo, Ontario for $95k and $98k for GTS Coupes again.....needless to say, I was a little shy on funds.

Well, then I got divorced and was $70k in debt......but I moved here to the Great 'Ol USA and paid off my divorce debt by working night and day for 18 months.....Yep and after I made my last divorce payment, I bought my current Viper (a 2002 Viper GTS ACR in Graphite w/o stripes) and it's been a joy ever since!!!

I've taken the Viper back to my hometown twice now and it literally stops traffic everywhere I go.

I've got two car payments left on my Mercedes and I'm getting itchy to buy another Viper......stay tuned!

Regards,
Aaron

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my first model of one when I was like 7 Or something. Saw my first R/T 10 when I was like 10... And then I saw it... A blue and white 96 GTS. I was in middle school must have been about 12 or 13 and my friend's mom's boyfriend came to pick him up from school in it. I could not believe it. Since then that was my dream car. So one day about a year ago, the same friend and I were out driving our motorcyles and mine blew up. I was so mad I didnt know what to do with myself. So we were sitting down eating some lunch and he began to tell me that his mom's boyfrind was selling the viper. I almost lost it. I left lunch and went straight to his house and he let me drive it. My legs were shaking so bad because I was so scared. That was Sunday... I owned it buy that Thursday. The same viper that I had dreamed about for years. The same exact car.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1993 or1994 had a Viper pull up next to me with an older gentleman wanting to run my warmed up ZX-10.We took off, about 2 miles down the road I pulled over put the bike on the stand and waited.He finally catches up pulls over and I get to look the car over.If I remember right he paid 10's of thousands over sticker, didnt make a lasting impression because I was broke and it was so expensive.1996 the B/W coupe comes out and I fell in love as it was strikingly similar to the Daytona Coupe,and screamed American Muscle.Sold my 69SCJ Mach1 in 05 for stupid money and was looking for a car I could drive and enjoy w/o all the hassle of an old muscle car, but with the same gut wrenching torque.Bought mine in August of 2006,had never driven or rode in one.I was hooked on the test drive and it's been a consuming passion since.

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in 4th grade (1997) when a freind brought in a model of a Gen 1 RT/10 and he talked about how awsome Vipers were and how only the coolest people drive them ect. I then bought my own model and carried it around with me everywhere. So by then i was pretty much obssesed. In middle school all i did in computer classes was look at pictures of vipers. I pretty much never see them, probably one every year, and it wasnt untill like 2003 that i saw one up close. :( So its been 10 years of Viper obssesion for me now. Ill be graduating College in 2 years, i absolutly plan to buy a RT/10 as soon as possible when i have a job. I can remember thinking "10 years till get a viper" when i was little looking at them in R&T mags, hopefully im getting close!

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been going to autoshows and reading car magazines since I was 5. This was 1991. Right then and there, I was hooked. So after reading MotorTrend and the others, my dad tries to find a Viper I could see in person. No dice. He brought home "The Need For Speed" for PC which featured a Viper RT/10 in blue. 1996 rolled along and my grandfather (may he rest in peace) had to pick up a Concorde from the local dealer. He called in advance to see if there was a Viper his 10 yr old grandson could see. THERE IT WAS: Gleaming Stone White with Blue sabre stripes, a '96 RT/10 This was my first ever time seeing a Viper in real life. This dealer also had a '96 McViper RT/10 later on that they let me sit in.

1997 went by and I slipped and fell on ice during the winter, spending an entire day in the hospital as I couldn't move. My mom took me the day after to see these two Vipers the dealer had as therapy for me as it actually made me feel better. They heard what happened to me and fired up the GTS IN THE SHOWROOM. It was a matching pair of GTS and RT/10, both B/W, both muffler delete.

Nothing exciting for the next few years except seeing the cars at the autoshow or the odd one during the summer. From April to October, I would see 3 Vipers at most.

When I turned 16, my dad did the most amazing thing. Just to give you all an idea of my family and how I was raised, I never ask for much. We don't have much money so a fancy party with friends, dinner etc was out of the question. My parents also were in the midst of a nasty divorce. My dad takes me out for dinner, and gives me a homemade card with a '98 Viper GTS in Silver/Blue stripes on the front, and in it says, "You have one free ticket to ride in ONE VERY FAST DODGE VIPER GTS!" I couldn't have been happier. Now when I read "very fast," all Vipers are very fast. Not this one. My dad got in contact through these very forums with a very nice gentleman to see about a ride for me. This fine man whom is also the Ontario chapter president got my dad in contact with another Viper owner whose GTS has been modified. When I heard this thing I was scared beyond all belief. Paxton, B&B Exhaust, other things I can't remember, is what I rode in for the first time. Best darn birthday present I've ever gotten. I have pictures from it and very fond memories. Sometimes the best gifts aren't the ones that cost an arm and a leg, but the ones where the most thought was put into it.

Finally I got my licence, and sometimes join the Ontario club to some events in my car (not Viper) when they invite me. Members of the Ontario club encouraged me to get involved with the forums here, and talk to all you guys and gals. Whenever the VCO prez tells another Viper Club member about me, he always brings up the birthday story. You all are really nice people, I hope to get to meet up with some of you at one point or another.

I really wish there was more I could do for the VCA and the local chapter without owning a Viper, as they've been too nice to me. I would love to give something back to them and the rest of Viper Nation. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!

-Steve

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some really cool stories here.

Mine started when the concept car made it's debut. I thought that it one cool looking car. It was quite amazing that any US Auto maker would consider making a car this beautiful after 20 years of **, hum boring cars. I was at a friends house for dinner and he had a Burago 1/18th scale model that I couldn't put down all night. The lines of the car were so beautiful.

3 years (1995) and a job change later I get to put together the first 200 prototype LED Centermount stop light. This is the LED light source that lights up Sneaky Pete on the GTS's. I got see pics of the car and totally fell in love... a 1996 Viper GTS was, and is the most beautiful car that I have ever seen. But, the reality was that I would probably never ever own one, let alone get to sit in one.

In 1997, I went to the Detroit SAE conference . In our booth( Hewlett Packard) is the Viper GTSR #5 car. THIS WAS SO COOL! I could hardly get my work done for drooling over the car. My supervisor knows that I am totally insane about the car and points out this guy and says that's the guy you need to meet, he has 2 of them. He then walk's me over and introduces me to Maurice Liang. Maurice was working as a Marcom Director for another division of HP and had arranged for the GTSR to be in our booth. I told him it must be difficult being him in the morning, having to decide, rt/10 or Coupe today? He laughed and said he would call me when we were both back in California to set up a lunch and ride. WOW, I was actually going to get to ride in a Viper.

That day came and I could not believe it, my expectations were far exceeded. The feeling of raw power, the pin you back in the seat until you cry uncle...the best roller coaster ride in the world doesn't even come close to how that ride felt. Now it was over, the fire was lit that couldn't be put out. I drove my wife crazy talking about the car and hoping for the day that seemed possible only in my dreams, of owning this car.The rare occasions of seeing them on the road, would start it up all over again.

And Maurice, bless him, he would keep the passion going. Next, was a ride in his GTS, riding Shotgun at Laguna Seca, then I set up a CHP ride along with him and a buddy of mine. That was the first time I got to drive a Viper so that Maurice could take the pics. Very scary at 1st since it was not my car and I didn't want anything to happen to it.

And then in 2000 my brother bought a 96 RT/10. It arrived in Texas on Friday and I was there the following Friday and on the Monday when I left, that car needed some new rubber to pass the vehicle safety inspection. We had a blast on that my first Viper weekend.

Oops, I just realized I covered my first five Viper experiances..... I will save the rest for another time!

Last edited:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GuitarSteve, Yes, I am fortunate in that my dream actually came true. I wish that we were a little closer I would be happy to take you for a ride... let me know if you ever make it down this way.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My story is a bit different. The Viper was always out of sight and out of mind. I never spent a minute thinking about one. I hadn't even seriously looked at a car magazine for 10 years. A few years ago a new business partner of mine had a four year lease on a black 2000 RT/10. His lease was ending in a few months and he had tons if miles left on the agreement. He loaned me his car for about a week. I put about 600 fun-filled miles on it. After that experience, I started looking for a Viper for myself. About 3 or 4 months later, I bought one.

DrDJ

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I saw one was in a car magazine (can't remember the name) in a Doctors office. Funny thing, because I never saw that picture again...and the Stealth came out shortly there after, I somehow thought that was the car I saw in the magazine and from there on...wanted a Stealth. Fast foward 8 years and I finally see a Blue and White at a car show here in Texas...and like a light going off I realized that the past 8 years I had been living a lie. Saw that Blue and White and realized...no...THIS was the one that I wanted! :)

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first time I saw one was at the Indy 500 when Carroll Shelby came roaring out of the pits. My dad and I were there and I was like "Wow, that's not your normal pace car!". Saw one at the Dodge dealership in person and up close for the first time a while later. I thought to myself "Screw a house, I would live in that car!"

Still trying to make ownership happen. With any luck, at this time next year I will be actively shopping for a 94 or 95.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never thought too much about the Viper until the GTS came out. Seemed to me that all that was wrong with the Viper was suddenly cured. I had thought the Shelby Daytona Coupe about the most beautiful car in the world. Now the Viper was more beautiful, modern, and with so much torque to send your eyes to the back of your head! In 2000 I decided to have a new one within 3 yrs & met that goal buying a brand new graphite & silver ACR.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first Viper experience was see the prototype at the Detroit Auto Show. I think it was in 1991.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sounds like your move to the U.S.A. was a Blessing for you.
so why are you flying the Canadian flag below in your signature?
God bless the U.S.A. and our troops overseas.:usa:
Back in 1997 or 1998 there was one Viper GTS in the city I lived in (London, Ontario has 350000 people) and the dealer wanted $25k over list (which was $115k)....so I was only able to view it. A couple years later I saw used ones in Waterloo, Ontario for $95k and $98k for GTS Coupes again.....needless to say, I was a little shy on funds.

Well, then I got divorced and was $70k in debt......but I moved here to the Great 'Ol USA and paid off my divorce debt by working night and day for 18 months.....Yep and after I made my last divorce payment, I bought my current Viper (a 2002 Viper GTS ACR in Graphite w/o stripes) and it's been a joy ever since!!!

I've taken the Viper back to my hometown twice now and it literally stops traffic everywhere I go.

I've got two car payments left on my Mercedes and I'm getting itchy to buy another Viper......stay tuned!

Regards,
Aaron

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my first model of one when I was like 7 Or something. Saw my first R/T 10 when I was like 10... And then I saw it... A blue and white 96 GTS. I was in middle school must have been about 12 or 13 and my friend's mom's boyfriend came to pick him up from school in it. I could not believe it. Since then that was my dream car. So one day about a year ago, the same friend and I were out driving our motorcyles and mine blew up. I was so mad I didnt know what to do with myself. So we were sitting down eating some lunch and he began to tell me that his mom's boyfrind was selling the viper. I almost lost it. I left lunch and went straight to his house and he let me drive it. My legs were shaking so bad because I was so scared. That was Sunday... I owned it buy that Thursday. The same viper that I had dreamed about for years. The same exact car.

THAT is a great story. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21