Your First Viper Experience?

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I ever saw a Viper was probably the first or second year of production. The local dealership had one that they were haning onto...er... i mean, selling for an outrageous price. They had it in a local parade. I was to young to really understand then...

Fast Forward to 2002, late december, there was a yellow 2001 that had been sitting at the dealership for a few years. My dad kept talking to them about it, but never serious, and they always wanted to much. Finally, many months later they called my dad and gave him a number that he couldn't turn down - They had to get it out of there, and were willing to out it ultra cheap.

My dad sort-of kept me in the loop during this, but none of the rest of the family knew. Not my brother, not even my mother (Hey, she gave him "permission" to buy it if he sold his race car. He sold it, bought the viper, then built a new race car ). So I went down there with my dad they day he put money down on it. I'm drooling over the thing, 18 years old, and finally I get the balls to crawl into the driver's seat in the middle of the dealership showroom while my dad & the sales manager are in the office behind it.

I hadn't been sitting in it for more than 5 seconds and I had a sales guy litterally come running at me, and said "UHHMMMM, Excuse me, Can I help you?!" I replied "Nope, not really" and oh boy was this guy flustered, new sales guy, didn't know me or my dad like the rest do being that we're family. He says "Well, You really need to get out of this car. It's kind of special, and we don't let people touch our Viper." The sales manager saw & overheard all this, came out laughing - told him to go sit down, that it was no longer their Viper.

Bad news was, there was a foot of snow on the ground, and tons of road salt. We didn't want to take it home then, but the dealership absolutely loved the idea of still keeping it there as a "showpiece" About a month later, dad called me at home, told me that he thought enough of the salt was washed off the road - so we went to pick it up. Only problem was, I couldn't even ride in the thing since someone had to drive the second vehicle. I had to follow that thing of rolling beauty for 10 miles to our shop, watching EVERYONE freaking out about it.

Few months later, spring came. I was riding with my dad to our shop, I was still 18 at the time. We got half way to the shop, dad pulls into the mall parking lot. We sat there until i asked what we were doing. He says "Well, I was waiting for you to get out so we can switch seats!" It took me two trips around the mall to learn how to drive a stick, let alone learning it in a Viper before he told me to take it back to the road. A few months later at 19, I took it to prom. I was waiting off to the side of the parking lot, waiting for it to empty out to remove the risk of someone being dumb and hitting me. The line of cars waiting to leave the parking lot was stopped by 3 cars, 2 of which people were hanging out the window motioning me ahead. What should have been a half hour wait to get out of the single parking lot exit only took 2 minutes.

I'm 22 now. I can still remember these days like they were yesterday. I feel lucky and privileged to even have access to the keys.

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my first model of one when I was like 7 Or something. Saw my first R/T 10 when I was like 10... And then I saw it... A blue and white 96 GTS. I was in middle school must have been about 12 or 13 and my friend's mom's boyfriend came to pick him up from school in it. I could not believe it. Since then that was my dream car. So one day about a year ago, the same friend and I were out driving our motorcyles and mine blew up. I was so mad I didnt know what to do with myself. So we were sitting down eating some lunch and he began to tell me that his mom's boyfrind was selling the viper. I almost lost it. I left lunch and went straight to his house and he let me drive it. My legs were shaking so bad because I was so scared. That was Sunday... I owned it buy that Thursday. The same viper that I had dreamed about for years. The same exact car.

Here is the first model I had and still have... By the way I dont know who dressed me! HAHA.

LastScan.jpg

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First time I saw the viper.... it was the movie in my country. Nice movie. Then when I got to NJ, I saw one B/W in display in Livingstone Mall on '97 or '98. I asked the guy who was there watching it if I can sit on it and he said no problem just don't close teh door. He even took a picture of me with his polaroid camera. That was a very nice feeling. I told my wife that maybe someday I can have one. She told me "in your dreams". I guess..... dreams do come thru.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the red RT in the news while I was in college in 92-93. I fell in love instantly. Saw my first one in person at Long Beach Island in 95. When the GTS came out, I nearly soiled my pantaloons. At the end of 2006 I sold a business I owned and as a reward picked up my toy - 2001 GTS. My wife got a tricked out LR3. To me that was more than a fair deal.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man. That seems complicated for something that's been around since 1992. I mean, I doubt I wasted much time after seeing my first one, in deciding someday I would own one.

The only real question is how many beers I killed deciding a red/white GTS would sweep me off my feet.

The cast piston vs. ABS nearly got me to rehab.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I saw one was at the NAIAS in Detroit in 1989... The concept VIPER.... It instantly cured me of my old Vette and Big Block Chevy infatuations. Knew right then and there that this was my real true American dream car. Never thought that I would be able to own one but I sure aspired.

First drove in one in 1994, when a buddy of mine bought one, and the thrill still lives within me today.

Finally bought mine a few years back and it's been everything I've made it out to be........

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was an avid AutoX'er back in 2000. ALthough I had always lusted for a viper since I first laid eyes on a Gen I, back in 2000 I actually got a ride in one on the course. What blew me away was the tree-pulling torque of this monster. This is coming from someone who grew up on 5.0 stangs. After that ride, I just knew I had to have one.

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first experience was back in 98 when a customer of the place I worked said he had a viper.
I asked if he could bring it in one day, he said sure.
So a couple weeks latter, a red 93 rolls into the warehouse, and I could not believe how low and wide it was, first impression, and the rear tire width, second impression.
He said he had to run but I said can I get a quick ride, so he said OK but I have to take it easy as I just got my licence back lmao.
So I said OK, thinking it would be a blah ride, not so at all haha.

He pulls out of the parking lot and proceeds to do a figure 8 on the dry road haha, then rips it down the street and does a 720, heads back the other way bangin Thur all the gears and does a 360 and pulls back into the warehouse to "lay low for a second haha.

From then on, I loved the Car.

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what got me hooked when i watched the nutty proffesor when i was 5 since then its been viper this viper that lol.

and in june im pulling the trigger on a 04 srt10 red of course.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a poster of the orginal in my room since I was a kid, but wasn't as much into cars back then.

Then the GTS was introduced and I was completely hooked. During my senior year of high school I was trying to force my dad into a mid life crisis that involved buying a Viper. We went to a local dealership one day to look around and they had a red 94 RT/10. The guy even let us take her for a spin. After about 10 minutes of gloriousness, I turned to my dad and begged him to let me get her going in a parking lot somewhere so that I could say that I had driven it (I was barely 17 at the time and my only manual transmission experience was my 97 Saturn SL with a whopping 100 hp). I drove the parking lot a little and then he had me take her on the open road. It was one of the greatest days ever! But unfortunately no luck in getting my dad to buy the car (apparently my college was more important).

8 years later I am still in love with the Viper and I still have the original paperwork that the salesman put together on that red RT/10. I guess it's motivation or something.

If all goes right, I'll be shopping for my very own Viper by the end of next year. :)

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear 2snakes4us,

Sadly, I'm still about 6-6.5 years from being able to apply for American citizenship as I'm about 12-18 months away from getting my Green Card through employment. After I get the Green Card there is a five-year waiting period until I can apply for citizenship.....and as soon as I can apply I will. I'll change my icon the moment I proudly become an American citizen.

Regards,
Aaron

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your First Viper Experience?

Do you mean when I first saw one, when I first drove one or what?

I first saw a photo of one when it was a concept car. I didn't give it much thought, since I figured it was just another exotic concept car to draw attention at the auto shows. I thought, "Gee, I wish they'd have the ****** to actually build that thing."

My first experience as a driver was in 2005 when my wife and I were in Vegas renewing our wedding vows and celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. It was a week of surprises I had planned for her and one of them was renting a red Viper from Rent-a-Vette for 3 days. Even at $500/day it was so much fun but I thought I'd never own one.

Several co-workers owned them and were always talking about them. One thing led to another and less than a year after the Rent-a-Vette experience I have one sitting in my garage. As I walk through the garage I sometimes stop and stare at it, like I'm dreaming and I want to savor the moment before I wake up.

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I posted on the OTHER site:

Bet I've got you all beat!!

In June of 1993...I bought my first Viper, a brand new '93 red RT (what else)

In 1999...I bought another RT...a 2000 (red, of course)

In 2004...I bought an '02 ACR (red, of course)

Still have them all....even the '93 RT (for 15 years!!)

I'd buy an SRT cpe but I'm running out of space in my garage!!
You must be registered for see images

"Some people push the envelope....some just lick it....and some can't even find the flap"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten